Sign in to follow this  
admannz

My computer runs FSX with PMDG 747-400 and scenery addons like CRAP!

Hey guys,

My computer runs FSX like crap when I have the PMDG 747-400 running with scenery addons. Can anyone explain why?

My Specs:

System Type: Win 7 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Memory (RAM): 8.00GB

Graphics: NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Gaming Graphics: 4096 MB Total available graphics memory

Dedicated graphics memory: 1536MB

Primary Hard Disk: 833GB Free (922GB Total)

Direct X Version: DirectX10

1 Overclock your cpu to 4.2Ghz or more.

2 Make sure your Windows is in good condition ( use a registry cleaner, a good defrag program and a good AV/AS )

3 Make sure you don't have lots of backgoundproghrams running

4 Setup FSX according to Nicks and Word Not Allowed's guides

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Without a K processor going to have trouble getting much of an OC out of it but some is better than none.

If you are experiencing lower than normal fps with other aircraft also, check your settings. If you have for example road traffic set to 100%, you are surely killing your frames. Also, if you are using some air traffic addons it is common to get bad fps hit near large hubs when using high traffic volumes.

You can also try setting your sim along the lines in this guide:

http://forum.avsim.n...-guide-for-fsx/

Setting your sim and driver settings along the Word Not Allowed's guidelines, should offer pretty nice FPS boost on high end machine compared to vanilla settings. NickN guides and posts on simforums offer little bit different perspective on the subject.

Without a K processor going to have trouble getting much of an OC out of it but some is better than none.

This. You OP can of course try to rise base clock a few MHz and thus get perhaps 100-200MHz more clock speed, but you run very soon into troubles, as all other buses go out of spec while rising the base clock. There is no way you can push that processor near or over the 4GHz line.

OT and I wish the OP best of luck resolving the issues but its topics like these which make me think is it really worth investing in a new computer? Right now I have an ok ok performance with a three year old dell laptop (Dual core 2.1 GHz OC to 2.9 GHz) with FPS locked to 20. REX + ORBX + mostly GA Aircraft (RealAir etc). If spending $1.5-$2k means I am still going to be experiencing issues like low FPS, stutters, blurring running complex add-ons, then is it really worth plonking down a couple of grand for an FSX exclusive machine? On top of it all the tweaking and the OC'ing etc etc.

It's a hobby, and some people like myself like to get invested in their hobby. In comparison to other hobbies many people enjoy, like fixing up old cars and hotrodding, real aviation, etc - dropping a couple thousand a year on FSX isn't that much when you compare them. On top of that, this top of the line hardware allows me to play any other game at its highest fidelity with no problems.

So if you really love FSX and want the best out of it, you invest to get the best that you can get. It's all very relative on what you can afford in the end. Thankfully, because I work from my PC, write websites, create videos, and advertise, all my FSX gear is a tax write off. Whoop whoop! lol.

Hey guys,

My computer runs FSX like crap when I have the PMDG 747-400 running with scenery addons. Can anyone explain why?

My Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

I have identical computer specs except for the GPU being a 560 and 12GB RAM. I am not seeing any of the problems that you are citing. If you would like a complete setup of what I am using let me know. I have all sliders at max and running with 30 FPS In DX 9 with a ton of add on scenery. It has taken me a long time to reach this stage but its nice to do over an hour flight with no issues. Recommendations from others are spot on when it comes to using the suggestions of Word Not Allowed and NickN along with nVidia Inspector however I have made some modifications to these suggestions to fine tune my system. Even thought someone with the exact same specs as yours may not yield the same results. As far as spending money on Computers instead of Cars and other such hobbies I guess I am over the top because I do all of these things and more. Racing Motorcycles, Custom Cars, Car Shows, Shooting, Photography, Beta testing Software, and in my spare time doing honey do projects around the house. I guess when I get old I won't be able to do all of these things. I am only 74 now and looking forward to my next project. fisheye

Hey guys,

My Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Is this your first install and experience with FSX?

Thanks everyone,

sorry about the late post I forgot my password lol :)

I was running it with compatibility mode I will give it a try without that.

I have tried giving the processor a turbo boost but it still doesn't do much.

I will post back with the outcome.

With a CPU like yours you really should be able to run the 747 easily without overclocking. Therefore the problem won't be solved by upping the CPU rate a little. I have a much slower dual core CPU and run PMDG addons at complex scenery with no trouble. Installing FSX in a non default location outside the program files folder can help get round problems caused by permissions demanded by current Windows OS. I use XP so don't have those issues.

ki9cAAb.jpg

OT and I wish the OP best of luck resolving the issues but its topics like these which make me think is it really worth investing in a new computer? Right now I have an ok ok performance with a three year old dell laptop (Dual core 2.1 GHz OC to 2.9 GHz) with FPS locked to 20. REX + ORBX + mostly GA Aircraft (RealAir etc). If spending $1.5-$2k means I am still going to be experiencing issues like low FPS, stutters, blurring running complex add-ons, then is it really worth plonking down a couple of grand for an FSX exclusive machine? On top of it all the tweaking and the OC'ing etc etc.

Howdy,

Yes it's worth it. I just built a new rig with an I7 2700k/Noctua D4 cooler, put it on an Asus P8P67 mobo I got refurbed on the bay for 85 bucks. Threw in 8gb of Corsair ram, a 750w Seasonic power supply, an EVGA GeForce 670 4gb card, and 4 crucial SSD drives. Used the Asus AI over clocking utility and within minutes had it running at 5.0ghz stable. It can run FSX all day long at 5.2ghz , and was so simple to do. The performance in FSX over my older Athlon running at 3.8ghz is stunning, everything smooth and stutter free using very high settings. I have about 1200.00 into the whole build, well worth it. I now have a renewed interest in flight simming I haven't had in a while.

Chris

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg