Sign in to follow this  
Lemond23

Prepar3d developing a weather radar

It seems Prepar3d is developing a weather radar: http://www.prepar3d.com/sdk/Core%20Utilities%20Kit/SimConnect%20SDK/SimConnect.htm

Since a weather radar is a "no go" item, I think it shouldn't be underestimated.

So, I don' knowt whether Prepar3d is being managed by a dedicated team and could become a future platform for PMDG... I wouldn't bother paying USS 200 for a realistic platform.

What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Teo Halfen

There is indeed a reference to enable weather radar in the doc but it is also present in the original MS Simconnect documentation. And as the docs indicates it returns the cloud information on the 64/64 grid around the aircraft.

But as far as I understand the doc it talks about cloud density, which is not what weather radar are looking at (which is actually water droplet).

So I think that's no sign of real weather radar being possible in P3D. That would be pretty much what some addons did already which is giving result, but is not functionning acurately to the reality and is why PMDG decided not to go and develop one, because that would not be accurate.

There is indeed a reference to enable weather radar in the doc but it is also present in the original MS Simconnect documentation. And as the docs indicates it returns the cloud information on the 64/64 grid around the aircraft.

You're right, It was made by Microsoft itself: http://msdn.microsof...y/cc526983.aspx

I thought it was made by Prepar3d team...

So, don't know what are their intentions about a real weather radar...

Anybody talking about weather radar simulation should be more informed. Real weather radar looks for droplets of rain as wedgantilles stated. A weather radar will look directly through most clouds. Infact many clouds that will turn into storm coulds have violent winds that do not show up on radar. Pilots avoid clouds except when necessary, but that is base on visual observation. If you just want pretty blobs on your screen, there are plety of options that have nothing to do with real simulation.

Anybody talking about weather radar simulation should be more informed. Real weather radar looks for droplets of rain as wedgantilles stated. A weather radar will look directly through most clouds. Infact many clouds that will turn into storm coulds have violent winds that do not show up on radar. Pilots avoid clouds except when necessary, but that is base on visual observation. If you just want pretty blobs on your screen, there are plety of options that have nothing to do with real simulation.

True, Prepar3d should program winds, thermals, hail inside cumulus and cumulus nimbus.... And a real weather radar has to distiguish between water drops and microscopic droplets.

In fact, the title of this topic is misleading, it should be a question, not an affirmation. Sorry...

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Commercial Support Forums (Official and Unofficial)The PMDG Support ForumPMDG General Forum" to "Other Civil Aviation SimulatorsThe Unofficial Prepar3d Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons. The most likely reason is that the post was off topic. The topic could have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to this forum, or were not "explanatory" in nature. The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain explanatory images or videos in all forums.