Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

This is an expensive hobby

Over the last week I finally setup an area of the house to enjoy FSX properly. In the past any time I wanted to do some flying I had to do it from a racing seat, and it just didn't work well at all. So now that I have started getting things setup (Yoke, Pedals, TrackIR, etc.) I started looking around to see what I really wanted to do, and needed to buy.

I have decided that I want to GA with smaller, less complicated a/c mainly because I don't have the time to learn something like the MD-11. At best, I have a few hours per week. RL always gets in the way! So I am going to be sticking with the Carenado Mooney for a while. My next plane might be the RealAir Duke or the Citation Mustang, but that is down the road.

One comment about the smaller a/c. I really want to focus on navigation, waypoints, radio communication, airport procedures, etc., and not combine all of that with an overly complex a/c. Does that sound like a good idea?

I figure I will concentrate on the USA for now, and do shorter trips. And that led me to the Fly Tampa and FSDT websites. That was an expensive visit! But the airports I want to fly to need to be nice, and these guys deliver. KLAX is awesome. I spent a couple of hours over the weekend just watching AI traffic go in an out. lol

Unfortunately it looks like I also need to get the Orbx stuff for the west coast, since I will be flying in that region pretty often. I am not going to get it yet, because I have plenty of places to fly to already. But this stuff adds up.

BTW, here are the add-ons I have now:

Sim Savvy Photo Scenery (very nice)

Ultimate Traffic 2

GEX

REX

Active Sky Evolution

Carenado Mooney

FSDT Airports

FlyTampa Airports

For what I want to do, are there any other must have add-ons? And does anyone recommend an FSX performance booster product.

Expensive hobby!

I suggest you get some sectionals from your local pilot supply store. They really add to the immersion and come in very handy for the type of flying you want to do.

I suggest you get some sectionals from your local pilot supply store. They really add to the immersion and come in very handy for the type of flying you want to do.

Or if you have a 2nd monitor, cheap laptop, or tablet device you can use www.skyvector.com - does the same thing and adds METAR to the airports on the map.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Carenado Mooney is a nice airplane.

I would get the Reality XP GNS 530 and install it in the panel.

Later, if you decide to get a bigger airplane like the RealAir Turbine Duke,

or the very nice Carenado C337, you can use the same GNS530 there.

Send me a PM, if you need help getting the GNS unit installed.

Bert

If you have an iPad, I recommend you get FS Kneeboard 2. It has sectionals, IFR charts, weather, airports maps, etc. I use it all the time and the iPad sits beside my computer as I fly. Paper maps can get out of date quickly. FS Kneeboard 2 is updated regularly at no charge after you buy it.

Not nearly as expensive as getting a pilots license and renting an aircraft :-)

Haha that's my excuse, too.

Def. get the Orbx stuff. It's fantastic and covers a such a large area that you won't run out of places to discover.

You might also like Air Hauler and FSPassengers as they add some sense of having a goal and progression to get through. Air Hauler especially. Used the Mooney myself as a starter plane until I could afford the Duke.

Two things. One, thanks for the replies! Second, you guys are a BAD influence on my spending habits. :P

Rob,

Here a cheap one : Plan-G, a freeware flight planner and moving map, fantastic software and even better if you have a spare computer to run it on (i.e. a laptop) over a network

Cheap as well, try the PNW demo, plenty of stuff to explore for free and it will give you an idea of what you can expect of Orbx scenery.

As for payware, i'd add (sorry about that :wink: )

- the RealAir Lancair Legacy and/or the Baytower RV7, probably the two best GA aircraft available for FSX

- Ideal Flight, a front-end for FSX with too many features to mention :-)

- as you already have Track-IR, EZCA as it will allow you to precisely adjust your viewpoint, add cameras and effects

- A2A Accu-feel - customizable addon effects for all aircraft.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Ha Rob, my prob as well! I did a video on my site, after trying fsx when Flight imploded. In one weekend, bought the A2A (accusim) cub, Aerosoft LOWI, Alabeo Pitts, cupla bargain Iris planes.

That Cub is incredible, buy it.

Best addon?

Easy, a Core i7 3770k and GTX 670 or better! Cheap as...

Expensive, but it's a hobby I never lose interest in.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

As hobbies go .. flight simming is actually rather inexpensive. I also golf, four wheel and shot photography ... flight simming is the least expensive.

hi,

For navigation use the skyvector website , you can even draw your route on the map (watch the video tutorial). If you don't know where to fly visit the fourfligths website, it gives you a lot of destinations depending on the weather conditions you want to fly in. it is free!!!

Not nearly as expensive as getting a pilots license and renting an aircraft :-)

Yes, but there's no comparison.

Sadly.....

Consider the real air duke, either turbine or piston as both are great, then add reality xp Garmin 530 to it then you'll have a great machine. The Garmin integrates into the panel seamlessly.