Sign in to follow this  
AndyPaul

FS Passengers X - website down & no activation possible

Hello everyone,

I don't know in which forum to put this, so I post it here: I have just reinstalled FSX and wanted to activate FS Passengers X. Unfortunately, the activation process won't work and their site is down (403 error). Does anyone know what's going on?

Cheers

Edit: 403 error

Maybe its just temporary, I have no idea.. Wouldn't be surprised though if it won't go back up again, Dan (he is the sole developer of Fspax) has been very inactive for years now, I think that even forum moderator there hasn't been in any contact with him. When people have needed new activation codes and such stuff he has usually answered them through email I think, but other than that no activity other than some small bugfix for FS9 version long time ago.

Really its pretty sad, Fspassengers is already awesome program and if developer had kept updating and working it could have been even better.

I hope it will go back up, if not then nobody will have any legal way to activate their products... :/

Oh dear... yes, that's the danger with small independant devs... I activated FSPassengers last weekend (after not using it for a year or two). Lucky me. Then again, if I get used to using it and I have to reinstall my PC, I may have to miss this addon too...!

Maybe it's temporary indeed but since the dev seems to be out of town... I do wonder about that more often: I have quite a few addons and what if those devs stop working and close down their sites...? Quite a few, if not all, require activation! Maybe I should make a backup of my entire FSX system, everything activated and all, and save that backup for future use...

Wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the plug but would be nice if he'd make a way to keep our purchase functional.

Maybe someone that has Dan's email would be kind enough to email Dan to let him know of the error? I have the FS9 version but there is no email address on the box or pamphlet inside. I'm looking to get the FSX version soon.

Si.

Well he owns the domain for 7 more years according to who.is, so he still has control of the domain. Best guess is that its just a hosting error.

Well. this is the other side of copy protection. When a developer goes under, people can lose access to the software they have purchased. While the developers complain about piracy, these access codes punish the very people who supported them and their products. <<Rest of text removed by MOD - sorry, discussing 'cracks' etc... on the forums is against our ToS, best not to go there>>

Well. this is the other side of copy protection. When a developer goes under, people can lose access to the software they have purchased. While the developers complain about piracy, these access codes punish the very people who supported them and their products. <<Rest of text removed by MOD - sorry, discussing 'cracks' etc... on the forums is against our ToS, best not to go there>>

Yeah, kind of reminds me from when PSS went out of business and users couldn't activate their products anymore. <<Rest of text removed by MOD - sorry, discussing 'cracks' etc... on the forums is against our ToS, best not to go there>>

I hope this is not the case and he's just on holiday or something. Otherwise, this would be fraud in my humble opinion, considering the fact that it is still offered on e.g. flightsimstore. If he decided to give up on it then we buyers can at least expect him to keep activation servers up, release a final patch to remove activation or open-source it. I do not want to crawl the web for a crack of which I will never be sure what it brings with it :mad: ... . FSPassengers X is (was) a great product and greatly enhanced my FSX experience.

P.S. Couldn't Aerosoft, Flight1 or Just Flight be able to buy it from him?

Cheers

Exactly. I think it is disgusting and unethical that devs can rip legitimate customers off like this. I purchased the product recently so thats 80 NZ bucks down the toilet. Wonderful. I hope this serves as a reminder to other developer groups that overly fanatical DRM only punishes the paying customer.

This is what happens when you support online activated softwares. There is no one to blame but yourself.

Oh dear... yes, that's the danger with small independant devs... I activated FSPassengers last weekend (after not using it for a year or two). Lucky me. Then again, if I get used to using it and I have to reinstall my PC, I may have to miss this addon too...!

Maybe it's temporary indeed but since the dev seems to be out of town... I do wonder about that more often: I have quite a few addons and what if those devs stop working and close down their sites...? Quite a few, if not all, require activation! Maybe I should make a backup of my entire FSX system, everything activated and all, and save that backup for future use...

Absolutely. A backup of a fresh Windows install and FSX with "base" add-ons is a must for me. Less down time when reformatting.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The funny thing is, Digital Rights Mangling does nothing positive at all, not even for the publisher... unless you call fostering a false sense of security "positive."

But this is why I make an effort to procure an unlocked version of every program I buy. It's funny how the anti-piracy people are the ones forcing me to the shady side of the internet just so I can be assured of having future access to the software I pay for.

The only ones not harmed in any way by DRM are the thieves.

I sent Dan an email. It didn't bounce so I guess we just have to wait.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png