Sign in to follow this  

LPV: AP won't follow GS

Okay, I thought I understood it all by now but apparently I don't. :wink: I just tried my first LPV approach in the RealAir Legacy with the RXP GNS 530. GNS 530 was on GPS, plane on AP, approach clearly showed LPV. I came in at 2500 ft (NAV) and at a nice speed and a good angle. I pressed APR on the AP before intercepting. My plane turned towards the runway, all fine so far. Then the GS came on: the plane didn't react at ALL and I had to manually take control of the GS as if it was an LNAV+V approach...

I thought the fun of an LPV (and L/VNAV) approach was that you could fly it on the AP...? What did I do wrong?

7726766546_b2ba6227c3_h.jpg

Try pushing APR after the glideslope becomes active.

You do have to be below the glideslope to intercept it.

Bert

Try pushing APR after the glideslope becomes active.

Ah, that's it indeed. Just gave that a try... So that's different from ILS approaches in a Boeing were I am used to pressing APR before the localizer intercept...! In the second try I just did I was already turned onto final course before the GS came alive! Of course this is no problem at all because the AP simply follows the selected procedure: I just have to get used to it. :wink: And (come to think of it) this means I also better be in NAV mode and not HDG mode otherwise I would have to manually intercept the approach course (manually meaning really manually or setting the HDG bug manually when on AP).

BTW That GNS 530 is awesome. I read the entire manual from A to Z today: great stuff!!! I already could use the new knowledge in my flight this evening. I love that thing. Right now I spend more time checking out the GNS then the landscape... :wink: But I am sure that will go back to normal over time. :wink:

A side note... I recommend turning your HSI OBS knob to the inbound course published on the approach plate. You don't have to but it helps with situational awareness.

Also, what approach is it so I can try?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Happy it is working now - and welcome to the club!

Start looking for other planes that the GNS 530 can be installed in... the Carenado C337 comes to mind B)

Bert

A side note... I recommend turning your HSI OBS knob to the inbound course published on the approach plate. You don't have to but it helps with situational awareness.

Yes, I did that the second time: it wasn't until I saw the screenshot that I noticed the HSI wasn't set. :wink: Too busy with the GNS! :wink:

Start looking for other planes that the GNS 530 can be installed in...

I am a one-plane-only man... I bought the GNS for the Legacy: I probably will be using it in other planes too in the future but I am planning on flying only in the Legacy for months to come! First of all I like to fly in the best airplane availabe (any other plane doesn't satisfy me anymore) and secondly: to me it adds to the realism: if I would be a real life pilot I probably only would own and use just one plane. :wink: I've only flown two GA's last year: first the Katana 4x and after that the RV-7a (which didn't get too much time due to Flight... but I parked the RV because of the Legacy which is the best imho :wink: )

I've only flown two GA's last year: first the Katana 4x and after that the RV-7a (which didn't get too much time due to Flight... but I parked the RV because of the Legacy which is the best imho :wink: )

There you go - the RV7 and the GNS530 are a great match!

Bert