Sign in to follow this  
monkers2003

Project Airbus wilco panel merge nosewheel sinking on braking

Hi

I have recently merged the project airbus A320 with wilco feelthere panel and everything works fine. Only when i apply brakes the nosewheel sinks into the ground by half.

I have just copied the project airbus model into feelthere A320 folder along with the texture then copied the usual 'contact points' 'lights' and 'effects' so don't know why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You must try to change (modify) some values in your contact points of the nose wheel

Those to modify are certainly "compression ratio" and " static compression" and "damping ratio" (AND can be replaced by OR)

Note that any modification can have consequences on other values (they are interlaced)

As you can read here in the extract from a Bob Chicilo tutorial .(available in the library as PDF document in AirEdit software)

Note:

Check also personnal message box (send you more detailed documentation)

Wheel adjustments

When the wheels are adjusted as to their proper co-ordinates, there are other things

that may be wrong with them.

Impact damage threshold: If it is 1500 or over, it is usually high enough as long as

you don’t come down faster than is wise. In some cases it can be lower.

Brake Map: Front wheel(s), or tail wheel(s), is usually 0. Left wheel, or wheels, is 1.

Right wheel, or wheels, is 2.

Wheel Radius: This is measured from the center of the wheel to the tire tread. You

can find this with a light. Place the light in the center of the wheel and 1 foot wider than

the wheel position, so you can see it. Then move it forward, or back, until the center of

the light is at the edge of the tire. The difference from where the center position was to

the new position at the edge, is the wheel radius. If you start by moving the light the

amount that the wheel radius has in the contact points, you will be able to tell if the

person doing the flight dynamics knew to do this. If they did, it will match what you find

the radius to actually be within 0.1 foot. (A model maker may enter the true radius for

the wheel, but this may not be the size he actually made the wheel for the model. The

model only matches the real aircraft perfectly if the maker is very careful while making

it.) WHEN DOING THIS YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR VIEW POSITION A

BIT, PARTICULARLY WITH THE NOSE WHEEL OR TAIL WHEEL. For the main

wheels; using the 4 or 6 number pad key will usually give you the correct view, but you

may have to hit the + key a few times for magnification, to have a better view of exactly

where the light is.

Steer Angle: Applies to the nose or tail wheel(s). This does have an effect on steering,

but unless I know it is wrong, I leave it whatever it is.

Static Compression: The value for this can be from 0.1 to a foot or more. If the nose

wheel buries itself in the tarmac when the brakes are pressed, the numbers for the

wheels are too high or the Damping Ratio (see below) is too low, or both. Sometimes

only the front wheel has to be changed, most often all have to be changed at least a bit,

if the nose wheel buries itself in the tarmac. Some aircraft don’t have the nose or other

oleos visually compress even if the real aircraft does have compressible oleos. This is

at the choice of the model maker and his ability to animate this.

CHANGING THIS VALUE WILL RAISE OR LOWER THE WHEEL HEIGHT, SO ONCE

CORRECTED, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST THE WHEEL HEIGHT. (See below)

ALSO; THIS VALUE CAN BE TOO LOW, AS WELL AS TOO HIGH. WHEN TOO

LOW THE NOSE WHEEL(S), and or THE MAIN WHEELS, BOUNCE ON LANDING.

THE MAIN WHEELS AND THE NOSE WHEEL(S) DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE

SAME VALUE, BUT CAN HAVE THE SAME VALUE, WHATEVER WORKS.

Max Static Compression Ratio: Leave at 2.5 or change to 2.5, unless you cannot get

the wheels to brake, or function, properly by adjusting the Static Compression and the

Damping Ratio. This value partly tells the simulator how strong, or weak, the wheels

and oleos are.

Damping Ratio: The values for this are from 0 to 1. As far as I know anything over 1

has no extra effect. This value, in effect, tells how efficient the shock absorbers are.

The closer to 1 you get, the stiffer the shocks are, and the less travel up or down the

wheels, or oleos, have. Together with Static Compression, this controls whether the

aircraft bounces, or not, when doing a normal touch down.

Adjusting wheel height: It is an easy thing to do. Go to the [contact points] section.

The wheels are usually the first three contact points. In any case the first number after

the = sign will be 1 if it is a wheel; sometimes with decimal places, no decimal places

are necessary in the first number after the = sign. Note: Many of my updated aircraft

have as many wheel entries as the model actually has wheels, so far this has been up

to 10 wheel entries. This is now 18, for the B747.

The next three numbers are forward/back position; offset, if any; and height. To raise

the wheels, increase the height number. Usually, only the decimal part of the height

number will have to be increased to raise the wheels enough. The best way to tell if

they are high enough without being too high, is to view the aircraft in early morning or

evening, and see that the wheel is touching the shadow it is casting on the ground. If it

doesn't, you will have to come back down a bit by subtracting. One thing to note

about oleos with more than one wheel, with entries for all of them, you must add

or subtract the same amount from all the wheels on that oleo, or they won’t show

any change, or not a truly corrected change.

The above, with some trial and error will have the wheels just where you want them,

visually at any rate. REMEMBER, CHANGING THE AIRCRAFT.CFG FILE MAKES IT

NECESSARY TO CHANGE AIRCRAFT, BEFORE THE CHANGE CAN BE SEEN.

Hi

I have recently merged the project airbus A320 with wilco feelthere panel and everything works fine. Only when i apply brakes the nosewheel sinks into the ground by half.

I have just copied the project airbus model into feelthere A320 folder along with the texture then copied the usual 'contact points' 'lights' and 'effects' so don't know why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I recently have done the same merge and am having the same issue. I've merged other planes through this process and have never had this issue before. In theory it seems as if it should work, but its off. Any other suggestions?