Sign in to follow this  
vector

Has no-one spotted this?

Perhaps I have missed a thread somewhere but Caranado have now released their Cessna Caravan for FS9.

David

Thank you as I had not spotted it for one! I guess, like many others, I bought the Feel There Cessna Caravan many years ago to replace the default version. Now in the interest of trying to control my addiction to buying addons, I thought I should at least ask if anyone knows how the Carenado version compares to the Feel There Caravan? I think I know what the answer is going to be though!

Bill

Don't sell Feelthere short. I have no experience with the plane, but I do know the company. I have a boat load of both offerings and I doubt you could go wrong with either.

Don't sell Feelthere short. I have no experience with the plane, but I do know the company. I have a boat load of both offerings and I doubt you could go wrong with either.

I am not selling FeelThere short - I also have a hangar full of their aircraft in addition to the Caravan (CRJ, PIC 737 and Airbus series, Citation X, Emb 170, 190 and Legacy) and they are very good but unfortunately not quite up there with the top echelon of FS9 aircraft..

Carenado, on the other hand, have produced general aviation aircraft of the highest quality for FS9 in my opinion, but the FeelThere Caravan is also a very good aircraft which I have enjoyed flying quite a lot in FS9 and I simply wanted to know whether it was worth replacing it with the Carenado version.

Bill

For those seeking utility aircraft have a look at the Quest Kodiak (Lionheart) and the Pilatus Porter (FSD) both of which, arguably, are more versatile than the Grand Caravan modeled by Carenado.

I have the Porter, which is superb, and the Kodiak, which is very good. But I'm getting the Caravan ASAP as it really fits a different niche. The Porter is extreme STOL but has a low cruising speed. The Kodiak is also primarily a bush aircraft though it can certainly get in and out of some tight places and has a reasonable point to point capability. But the Caravan, though it has excellent short field performance, is also used in large numbers for the light freight role. FedEx (via contractors) operates a huge number of them.

And if this Carenado Caravan is even half as good as the sceen shots make it seem, it is going to be incredible... I'm IN!! :Hug:

I've just purchased the Caravan, it's brilliant and up to the high standard that Carenado are known for.

One minor thing is the aircraft is a bit bouncy on the ground, probably needs just a minor contact points tweek.

I also have the Feelthere Caravan and while it's been good since there wasn't anything else apart from the default, this is better by a long shot.

Thanks Carenado.

Pete.

I do find some of the instruments in the Carenado offering a little difficult to see, and that's on a 24" monitor. I still have not found anything which beats my beloved Flight 1 Cessna 172 either for cockpit clarity or performance - I have fitted a "turbo" engine to it for extra grunt :Hmmmph: Yes, I know it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other software but it's still my favourite :wub:

David

I also have the Feelthere Caravan and while it's been good since there wasn't anything else apart from the default, this is better by a long shot

That's what I needed to hear to help me make my decision- thank you!

Bill

I have the model and I am working on a review and will compare the two. Should be published on the blog tomorrow.

Have now had a chance to compare the FeelThere and Carenado products over a few flights and I would have to say that the Carenado version is the better one overall although not by as much as one might expect! I thought therefore that I would give some feedback and share my opinions for the benefit of anyone considering purchasing this aircraft.

Whilst the FeelThere external aircraft model is pretty accurate in terms of shape the Carenado model has considerably more detail and a more realistic looking animated pilot (for those who like this!), unlike the two FeelThere pilots who look like inflated dummies sitting on something very uncomfortable! The Carenado version also wins as far as the VC is concerned although the FeelThere VC is actually quite good (particularly considering it is now a relatively old product) and appears to be fully functional. Only the FeelThere Caravan has a 2D panel and that is of excellent quality and although I generally fly GA aircraft from the VC, the FeelThere 2D panel is a pleasure to use. With regard to the sound quality, I personally actually prefer the FeelThere sounds which are quite different to those with the Carenado product, although in all honestly I am not sure which sound product is closer to the real world Caravan sounds as I am not not familiar with the RW aircraft. Both versions are very nice to fly and the flying characteristics of both seem quite similar and probably reflect the RW aircraft quite well.

On balance therefore, if you only have the default Caravan and want something that is a dramatic improvement then buy the Carenado version, unless you are one of those simmers who never uses anything other than a 2D panel (and is unwilling to even consider a VC) in which case you would be better with the FeelThere product. If you already have the FeelThere Caravan and like to fly from a very high quality VC in an aircraft with a superb external model then upgrade to Carenado (and it is quite reasonably priced too).

Bill