Sign in to follow this  
Lemond23

Weather engine and weather radar?

All the weather radars in both FS9 and FSX are totally fake

Ive heard the PMDG argument before.The whole sim is totally "Fake". there are those who would enjoy the Fake simulation of weather radar. Infact. I have found them to simulate quite well. If RW radar say there is weather in a specific location, it is there in the FAKE FS weather radar also.

Ive heard the PMDG argument before.The whole sim is totally "Fake". there are those who would enjoy the Fake simulation of weather radar. Infact. I have found them to simulate quite well. If RW radar say there is weather in a specific location, it is there in the FAKE FS weather radar also.

Actually you are not correct. There are some fantastic gauges available that mirror real life exactly. CIVA INS just for one! The weather radars for the sim though just display pretty pictures. They can in no way be used to avoid bad weather so therefore are of no use which is contrary to many other gauges. Another good example of a gauge that works exactly as is written on the tin is Lee Hethrington's TCAS.

This argument has been flogged to death with a number of simmers "demanding" that PMDG create a working weather radar! That isn't going to happen because it can't be done! Seeing as P3D use the same engine as FSX then they can't do it either.

A realistic weather engine would make a great difference from FSX and could make a heavy migration from FSX to Prepar3d, both from developers and users. But I don't know whether that's Prepar3d team wish.

Actually you are not correct. There are some fantastic gauges available that mirror real life exactly. CIVA INS just for one! The weather radars for the sim though just display pretty pictures. They can in no way be used to avoid bad weather so therefore are of no use which is contrary to many other gauges. Another good example of a gauge that works exactly as is written on the tin is Lee Hethrington's TCAS.

This argument has been flogged to death with a number of simmers "demanding" that PMDG create a working weather radar! That isn't going to happen because it can't be done! Seeing as P3D use the same engine as FSX then they can't do it either.

From my limited knowledge of FSX's SimConnect and SDK, which are similar to P3D, you can create a working weather radar. But, you cannot display the actual weather shape. In this case you will have to make use of predetermined bmp images to show the weather.

But you can have a working weather radar.

But you can have a working weather radar.

You can have a screen that shows pretty pictures that's all. But it's not a "working" weather radar.

You can have a screen that shows pretty pictures that's all. But it's not a "working" weather radar.

RealityXP seems to think its possible. The blurb for the Wx500 says so anyway, but I don't think it detects precipitation, only cloud formations. (which would of course not make it a 'real' weather radar)

It won't be a real thing, because FSX's (and PD's) weather engine is based on weather stations. True weather is only possible in the proximity of a weather station, beyond them the weather is generic. But, you can use some simconnect tricks and get weather data some distance away from the aircraft and thus make a weather radar. The only problem is display, you cannot display the cloud formation, thus you will have to use stock images. But you can predict that there is a cloud formation and if there is precipitation.

It won't be a real thing, because FSX's (and PD's) weather engine is based on weather stations. True weather is only possible in the proximity of a weather station, beyond them the weather is generic. But, you can use some simconnect tricks and get weather data some distance away from the aircraft and thus make a weather radar. The only problem is display, you cannot display the cloud formation, thus you will have to use stock images. But you can predict that there is a cloud formation and if there is precipitation.

The problem is though that the way clouds and precipitation are actually displayed means that the weather radar cannot ever show you a real situation until you're in it so to speak! Therefore they are useless in that respect!!

They are as fake as can be!

The problem is though that the way clouds and precipitation are actually displayed means that the weather radar cannot ever show you a real situation until you're in it so to speak! Therefore they are useless in that respect!!

They are as fake as can be!

I won't keep arguing about this, suffice to say that I know about a simconnect trick that allows me to get weather data as far as I want from my aircraft. If I know about that trick, others can as well.

You don't need to have a simconnect "trick" to get weather other than in your immediate area. The point I'm making is that weather radar will not and cannot reflect (excuse the pun) what you think you see or what the sim is storing up for you re weather.

This topic has been done to death so many times and yet people still cannot be persuaded that weather radar on fs9,fsx and p3d is not, will not and cannot reflect real weather.

This topic has been done to death so many times and yet people still cannot be persuaded that weather radar on fs9,fsx and p3d is not, will not and cannot reflect real weather.

If Prepar3d won't ever have a realistic weather (i. e. simulate caracteristics of a cumulus nimbus, cumulus, cumulus congestus, stratus etc) it will never be a serious flight simulator, so let's wait for another developer.

It is serious enough to be used in Professional Simulator Machines for RW pilot training.

It is serious enough to be used in Professional Simulator Machines for RW pilot training.

You have to remember that P3D is based on FSX and therefore would need a complete re-write top to bottom just to display weather on the radar correctly. (it would in effect be a totally new sim ) just for the purpose of displaying weather That's very unlikely!

Hello,

Following this topic as an average simmer (P3D) without technical knowledge, I like to mention here that I use RexE, which is very good in environment, their speciality. So I disable the Weather Engine and use OpusFSX FS Interface for FSX and P3D (google it), IMHO a booming addon!

There is no weather radar feature (yet), but Devs are extremely active and listening to any suggestions.

Anybody here having experience with this addon?

rgds

fdovillamil

You have to remember that P3D is based on FSX and therefore would need a complete re-write top to bottom just to display weather on the radar correctly. (it would in effect be a totally new sim ) just for the purpose of displaying weather That's very unlikely!

You are still ignoring the fact that P3D is used in real world pilot training simulators. If those people have a problem with the way weather is handled, believe me that LM will have that stuff changed ASAP.