Sign in to follow this  
kekstrom

Engine failure procedures?

Hi! A few questions about how to handle an engine failure during takeoff (after V1). Yesterday I armed a engine failure after V1, manually climbed 1500ft and engaged autopilot but I noticed that I cannot engage autothrottle. Is that normal? Should the autothrottle not be used under any engine failure conditions?

How about the landing weight? Would it be normal policy to land the aircraft in an engine failure (not engine fire) occured after takeoff if you are a bit abowe max weight? Say 5000-6000lbs. Or should you circle around to burn fuel with one engine since the 737 has no fuel dump capability?

Thanks!

Kaj Ekström

*How to handle an engine failure after V1, in detail -----> FCTM - Takeoff - Engine Failure - 3.36

*Checklist to be performed when able ---------------------> QRH - Non-Normal Checklist chapter - 7.14

*VRef Determination -------------------------------------------> QRH - Performance Inflight chapter - PI-QRH.31.8

*Landing at weights greater than MLW --------------------> FCTM - Overweight Landing - 6.55

*Reference Weights (FYI item) ------------------------------> FCOM Vol 1 - Limitations chapter - L.10.3

The manuals provided by PMDG (Boeing) are the same one's found on actual 737's. Please read them, they have more information than any human could possibly care to divulge.

Basically, without going into specifics, I'd break the problem into 3:

- Manage the take-off just like any other take-off, managing any real time issues associated with staying in the air using one engine.

- Call PAN. Climb to or above Minimum Safe Altitude on runway heading if able, otherwise whatever suitable heading.

- Once above MSA, engage autopilot, but not auto-throttle, then complete checklists.

Once all that is complete, you can then enter a hold somewhere, and consider your options.

Note: all that is better said than done. Sometimes things just haven't panned out the way I'd hoped. Thankfully though, I have managed to land the plane safely.

Mike McKenna.

Hi,not exact:if you are Flying a "fail-operational" plane you could re-engage autothrottle (see FCTM page 208) it's a small issue of our Pmdg 738'. It will probably fixed with the be next patch. Best regards. Andrea B.

How about the landing weight? Would it be normal policy to land the aircraft in an engine failure (not engine fire) occured after takeoff if you are a bit abowe max weight? Say 5000-6000lbs. Or should you circle around to burn fuel with one engine since the 737 has no fuel dump capability?

Thanks!

It's an emergency so yes all the limitations can be omitted & u can land overweight.

Normally you land ASAP if you have an engine failure after take-off.