Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

3770K de-lidded + Liquid Metal Ultra results...

In case you didn't know, I took a blade to my 3770K and de-lidded it last week and I had been using MX-4 TIM until my Liquid Metal Ultra (LMU) arrived. Well, today it arrived and I quickly wanted to do a quick test with it.

I used Liquid Metal Ultra in this arrangement: CPU DIE>>LMU>>IHS>>LMU>>H100

Here is my system:

ASUS P8Z77-V

Intel i7-3770K (de-lidded)

EVGA GTX670 FTW

8GB (2x4GB) Samsung Low Profile 30nm 1600 DDR3

Corsair H100 cooler

Corsair TX-750 power supply

All temps are an average as shown by AIDA64.

As far as performance when compared to MX-4, so far I have to say there isn't much of a drop in temps on idle load. I set my system to all stock/default settings for this test, which means that everything is on AUTO within the BIOS.

For idle temps, this is what resulted:

Idle @ 1.6Ghz (turbo is enabled) using MX-4

Core 1 - 27.6C

Core 2 - 19.3C

Core 3 - 25.2C

Core 4 - 26.4C

CPU package - 27.8C

Full Load @ 3.7Ghz (turbo enabled) using MX-4

Core 1 - 50.5C | +22.9C increase from idle

Core 2 - 47.5C | +28.2C increase from idle

Core 3 - 54.3C | +29.1C increase from idle

Core 4 - 48.7C | +22.3C increase from idle

CPU package - 54.6C | +26.8C increase from idle

Now here are the results with Liquid Metal Ultra...

Idle @ 1.6Ghz (turbo is enabled) using Liquid Metal Ultra

Core 1 - 27.9C

Core 2 - 18.3C

Core 3 - 24.7C

Core 4 - 26.8C

CPU package - 28.1C

As you can see, idle temps are almost identical to the ones with MX-4. I was somewhat disappointed and was expecting the same for the full load test. Now let's see how it did on full load...

Full Load @ 3.7Ghz (turbo enabled) using Liquid Metal Ultra

Core 1 - 42.6C | +14.7C increase from idle | -7.9C drop from MX-4

Core 2 - 38.9C | +20.6C increase from idle | -8.6C drop from MX-4

Core 3 - 44.4C | +19.7C increase from idle | -9.9C drop from MX-4

Core 4 - 42.4C | +15.6C increase from idle | -6.3C drop from MX-4

CPU package - 44.7C | +16.6C increase from idle | -9.9C drop from MX-4

As you can see, idle temps remained almost identical BUT temps on full load showed a considerable drop. With MX-4, the increase delta from idle to load was in the 20s, while with Liquid Metal Ultra, the increase from idle to load was in the teens!

As stated before, full load was based on 3.7GHz while running LinX with a problem size of 21000 for 20 runs. With LMU on full load, none of the cores touched 50C during the entire stress run! They maxed out in the mid to upper 40s. icon14.gif

And another thing I noticed is that the temps were more tighter among the four cores. Before, I was getting wild temp fluctuations between all four cores, I even started a new thread earlier today asking if that was normal. With LMU, the temps were almost identical between all 4 cores, separated on average by +-5C from one another.

I will go ahead and bump up the voltage/frequency and see what happens. I will post back my findings.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Thanks for this! It will certainly be helpful when I assemble my ivy bridge PC in the fall.

I just finished running the same LinX test (21000 | 20 runs) with a voltage of 1.32v @ 4.7GHz:

Core 1 - 53.6C

Core 2 - 52.7C

Core 3 - 58.3C

Core 4 - 52.9C

CPU package - 58.7C

Temps never broke into the 70s!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I used Liquid Metal Ultra in this arrangement: CPU DIE>>LMU>>IHS>>LMU>>H100

Hello

I hope you never want to get that H100 off that CPU in a few months.

I used that stuff on an E8600 with a H50 and had a hard time separating them when I rebuilt the machine.

Ended up having to lap the water block and the CPU after to get all of it off.

evil stuff.

Hello

I hope you never want to get that H100 off that CPU in a few months.

I used that stuff on an E8600 with a H50 and had a hard time separating them when I rebuilt the machine.

Ended up having to lap the water block and the CPU after to get all of it off.

evil stuff.

Both the H100 and IHS are lapped. If I have to lap again because I happen to take the PC apart, I would be delighted to. The performance of Liquid Metal Ultra is simply off the charts right now.

New results:

LinX test (21000 | 20 runs) with a voltage of 1.32v @ 4.8GHz:

Core 1 - 57.4C

Core 2 - 58.4C

Core 3 - 64.1C

Core 4 - 57.9C

CPU package - 64.2C

Gonna try 4.9Ghz next...

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Core 1 - 57.4C

Core 2 - 58.4C

Core 3 - 64.1C

Core 4 - 57.9C

CPU package - 64.2C

That is as cool as my 2700K!!

Thanks for all of the testing! :smile:

If I have to lap again because I happen to take the PC apart, I would be delighted to.

Hello

But that is just it, there is a good chance you may not get them apart without destroying the IHS.

I had to lever mine apart with a craft blade after six months, once it hardens it works just like solder.

Hello

But that is just it, there is a good chance you may not get them apart without destroying the IHS.

I had to lever mine apart with a craft blade after six months, once it hardens it works just like solder.

I took a blade to a brand new, $350 CPU right out of the box. I don't think having to fight with it to get the heatsink apart will make me lose sleep. LOL But thanks for the heads up... :-)

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

LinX test (21000 | 20 runs) with a voltage of 1.40v @ 4.9GHz:

Core 1 - 60.6C

Core 2 - 63.4C

Core 3 - 68.2C

Core 4 - 61.3C

CPU package - 67.8C

I have no doubt in my mind now that the thermal issues with Ivy Bridge is due to the TIM route Intel decided to take with these CPUs, instead of soldering them like they used to do. If you really want to get the most of these processors and overclock them without burning the house down, you definitely need to look into de-lidding them and replacing the TIM with a high quality one. Obviously, I will recommend Coollaboratory's Liquid Metal Ultra based on MY findings. The past few weeks I have been trying like a madman, to get a stable overclock of 4.9GHz, but the temps were through the roof in the upper 90s on full load.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Hi,

could you let me know if there is a summary of the most important changes I have to make in the BIOS?

I ordered a new mobo asusp8z77 premium and also a processor 3770k.

my goal is to overclock to 4.8 and I will ask my comp shop to put new coollaboratory liquid ultra on the processor.

Hi,

could you let me know if there is a summary of the most important changes I have to make in the BIOS?

I ordered a new mobo asusp8z77 premium and also a processor 3770k.

my goal is to overclock to 4.8 and I will ask my comp shop to put new coollaboratory liquid ultra on the processor.

Oh of course... Once I'm done fully testing the system, I will post the final settings. Right now, I'm testing 4.9Ghz at 1.44v with Prime95. 12 minutes into the test and temps have not passed 71C! And this is at 4.9Ghz with 1.44v!

I think I will definitely be able to reach the 5 Ghz plateau and still be within comfortable temperatures. I am simply AMAZED at how this Liquid Metal Ultra performs. It's crazy!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Glad to see it worked for you too! Just out of curiosity, what program do you use to measure temps and what are your various voltage settings, VTT, PLL, etc.

Glad to see it worked for you too! Just out of curiosity, what program do you use to measure temps and what are your various voltage settings, VTT, PLL, etc.

Hey Tech! I finally made it back home from court but I have to leave at noon again, Dammit! lol Yes, I am a cop but no, we don't drive Hondas. LOL Anyway, I turned the PC on and so far, Prime95 has been error free for the past 65 minutes while running the large, in-place torture test with the following settings:

4.9Ghz @ an average of 1.43v.

I say average because I am overclocking with offsets and not fixed voltages. Also, I have all power options on the cpu enabled, so on idle, my cpu falls back to 1.6Ghz and very low voltages.

I use AIDA64 Extreme Edition to measure all temps and voltages. It's great! It gives you minimums, maximums and averages.

Here are the numbers so far in this current 4.9Ghz run (error free for 1 hour, 5 minutes and counting):

Temperatures

Item Min Max Average

CPU1 29 69 62.8

CPU2 21 73 65.9

CPU3 27 78 71,1

CPU4 27 71 63.7

CPUpkg 30 79 71.2

Voltages

Item Min Max Average

CPUVID 1.166 1.271 1.265

CPUcore 1.024 1.448 1.430

CPUPLL 1.587 1.600 1.597

DIMM 1.325 1.337 1.336

VCCIO 1.038 1.075 1.053

As you can see, even at an average vcore of 1.430v and running at 4.9Ghz, the highest any of the cores have reached is 78C and that was core 3 which is usually the hottest running one. The highest core 1 has reached is 69C!

Another thing that I've noticed is that for the first time, I can hear the fans on the H100 SPEEDING UP AND DOWN as the load changes! Never did I hear them do that ever since I built this PC a couple weeks ago. That tells me that now the heat is being transferred entirely to the IHS whereas before, most of the heat was staying on the die. This Liquid Metal Ultra is truly the shihznits. It's the next best thing to actually soldering the IHS to the cpu die.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

This Liquid Metal Ultra is truly the shihznits. It's the next best thing to actually soldering the IHS to the cpu die.

Efrain,

You and Max ought to put a simple guide ..in how to do this...so we can all try to go this route.

I liked your razor blade photo post ...

BTW.. 1) After opening the lid, what did you do to remove the old residue ?

2) How much of the liquid metal did you apply and how did you apply it ?

3) how did you put it back together? Just place it back and it sticks or did you have to do something to stick em back together?

And most imporant of all. I'd like to know the FPS increase from 4.5 (OC for most folks without delidding) to 4.9 (OC with delidding) with all other things being equal.

Basically, how much do we get for the risk of delidding? Return on Investment/ Return on Risk. :P

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Efrain,

You and Max ought to put a simple guide ..in how to do this...so we can all try to go this route.

I liked your razor blade photo post ...

BTW.. 1) After opening the lid, what did you do to remove the old residue ?

2) How much of the liquid metal did you apply and how did you apply it ?

3) how did you put it back together? Just place it back and it sticks or did you have to do something to stick em back together?

And most imporant of all. I'd like to know the FPS increase from 4.5 (OC for most folks without delidding) to 4.9 (OC with delidding) with all other things being equal.

Basically, how much do we get for the risk of delidding? Return on Investment/ Return on Risk. :P

Manny

Manny, I will definitely try to write something up, it's just that I've been busy working and messing around with the system. But to answer your questions, here you go:

1. I tried to remove it with alcohol but it just laughed at me. So I gave it my index's fingernail and I had the last laugh. hahaha I simply scraped it with my nail. The residue that would not come off, I buffed it with my Dremel at very low speeds, using a small cotton buffer wheel soaked in alcohol.

2. You'll be amazed at how much a little of it will spread! On the CPU DIE, all it took was about the size of a grape seed. On the IHS, I would say half a grain of rice. You spread it with a small brush, which the package comes with 2 of these. You put the paste in the middle and start working on it from the middle to the sides. It's like you are painting the surface and using the paste as your ink.

3. You definitely have to place your case horizontally on a table. You can't do this with the case vertical. For ease, I put the paste on both the cpu and IHS while they were both outside of the case. Then very carefully, place the cpu in it's socket. Now, place the IHS over the cpu BUT make sure you do not center the IHS on the cpu. Place it towards the rear edge just a bit. The reason for this is so that when you lower the retention bracket, it will shift the IHS forward a bit and once it's locked in, the IHS will be in the right position. When the IHS is glued to the cpu (lidded), obviously it won't move. But after de-lidding, you need to compensate for that slight movement. It's very slight, a couple of mm at most.

As for FPS improvement from 4.5 to 4.9, I can't tell because I haven't tried that. I think the biggest return on the ordeal is the fact that you can OC to 4.9 AND keep temps at a reasonable range. If you don't de-lid, you definitely are going to have thermal issues if you want to OC to 4.8+ because you will need to pump up the voltage considerably. I think 4.7Ghz is the sweet spot right now on the 3770K as far as performance vs temperatures/voltages.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz