Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Are any of you this skilled?

Is there anyone that has ever been brave and skilled enough to fly their SIDS and STARS, when applicable, in raw data mode, in an airliner? I recently flew on Vatsim and flew the Clacton 8 Mike departure out of EGKK, and as I was reading the SID's intructions, I began to wonder who could possibly fly this in raw data, without the aid of LNAV, VNAV, or the moving map on the ND. I enjoy flying raw data, especially since I feel like I am almost cheating by using the moving map and all the advanced autoflight functions, but ever since I joined Vatsim, I've had less and less chances to fly raw data because it can get pretty overwhelming flying the SID/STAR accurately and not breaking speed/altitude restrictions, while at the same time maintaining your situational awareness. Granted, I don't have a mic on Vatsim, so have to type out any voice instructions I receive, but I'm still curious to see how all of you fly your SID's and STARS, especially complicated ones like the Clacton 8 Mike out of EGKK.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

"Are any of you this skilled?"

Yup, I'm practically a sky-god, but ya-know, young... :P

Ró.

Ró.

im%20Not%20Worthy.gif :lol:

Alfredo Terrero

Ró.

:biggrin: :hi:

The Simcheck A300 tutorial takes you into a very short flight (ie you have to act fast), with the departure and arrival flown raw ie only VOR radials.

I must admit I found it quite a challenge while learning the plane to be doing this :) I'm not used to such a high workload at jet speeds. Give me the Turbine Duke or Flight1 Mustang and it's more manageable. Or give me an FMS or GPS..

There is an INS but typically it's only used for the enroute cruise portion of the flight.

This was a dent to the ego but I tell myself it will be easier on longer flights with better planned descents, if I'm not dropping like a ton of bricks to make the approach alt then will be easier.

Better get used to it though, because the PMDG DC-6 is coming, and I doubt it has an FMS :)

Alfredo,

You owe it to yourself to get a mic/headset combo, it is great fun to converse with ATC once you get used to it.

\Robert Hamlich/

Also,generally there are two souls in the cockpit sharing the work load! One person, Aviating, navigating, communicating .

Try the old planes - you need to be the engineer as well :)

It is great fun, but planning is the key. What radios to tune and what radials to intercept by what distance.

Lots of planning in advance.

I love flying sids and stars in the Simcheck A300, but i feel like i am cheating when i load the whole plan via fsbuild into the ins, including sid and star.

I will attempt the whole thing when voice control for the Simcheck gets released, until then, things happen a little too fast for me to keep track of!

It is great fun, but planning is the key. What radios to tune and what radials to intercept by what distance.

Lots of planning in advance.

I love flying sids and stars in the Simcheck A300, but i feel like i am cheating when i load the whole plan via fsbuild into the ins, including sid and star.

I will attempt the whole thing when voice control for the Simcheck gets released, until then, things happen a little too fast for me to keep track of!

Hi

What do you mean by voice control? What are they planning?

Regards

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi

What do you mean by voice control? What are they planning?

Regards

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi Lee,

Sorry, I should have been clearer....I use MCE voice control, and I am using the PMDG MD-11, NGX and Simcheck A300....the two PMDG birds are already fully supported...the Simcheck aircraft works to some degree with voice control, but the MCE support team are working on a full support module for it, even the Fligth Engineer's panel!!

I can't wait!!

Ah i see

Sent using Tapatalk

Alfredo,

You owe it to yourself to get a mic/headset combo, it is great fun to converse with ATC once you get used to it.

Yeah, I have been highly contemplating this, as typing can be really frustrating, especially during the most critical phases of flight.

Try the old planes - you need to be the engineer as well :)

I have thought about that as well. Flying a 707 in raw data must really separate the men from the boys.

Alfredo Terrero