Sign in to follow this  
HawkDsl

You know you sim too much when...

...I was driving down the highway this evening headed for biz in Washington D.C. (via RT50 west from the Maryland Eastern Shore). There is a very small airport (Freeway Airport I believe, WOO) 90 degrees to the highway... at the end, and right next to the road, I spotted the wind sock... then it happened..

I actually looked down at my cars dash board, looking for the HSI... and began to reach for the heading bug to match it with the direction of the sock!!

Of course I LMAO at my total "automatic pilot" reaction.

Maybe time for a flying break!

Guest Ps762

I knew I was simming a lot (never too much!) when:

I would do a walk around of my car before driving from home.

I had airport official vehicle drive from the control tower to me because I was arousing so much suspicion spotting.

I got approcahed by the police for spotting airliners from behind a bush.

Someone called the police on me when I was stading under the threshold of Gatwick's runway 26L at 5.30am waiting for the arrival of a Virgin Atlantic flight I had tracked all the way over the Atlantic.

I dreamed about visiting destinations on places I had flown in in FS.

I could spend a whole week in a hotel next to an airport going to the terminal every day and watching planes from near the runway.

I would cycle two hours there and two hours back just to visit an airport.

That's it I think!

I wish I was as into FS now as I was a few years ago. Happy times!

Many thanks.

Pierre

How did you explain your spotting to officials... I've always wondered about that.. do they make you leave?

You know you are siming too much when you are driving and you put your hand on the volume knob on the car radio thinking it is a Cessna throttle to adjust your power settings...LOL

Cheers

Matthew Kane

You know you are siming too much when you are driving and you put your hand on the volume knob on the car radio thinking it is a Cessna throttle to adjust your power settings...LOL

Cheers

LOLOLOLOL!

Cheers

Or when you park your car and go to the trunk looking for some wheel chocks.

Or you start referring to your car using the license plate numbers like an N number. "Honey, I am going to take Three Niner One Eight Zero out for a spin, be back in a minute."

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On Monday, on the second leg of a long, real life journey from Singapore to Warsaw, via Amsterdam, looking out the window of a LOT EMB175, I found myself thinking, 'wow, these clouds look pretty realistic' - just for a second, and I was very tired :biggrin:

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Cheers

Something similar actually happened to me. I had a PPL before I had a driver's licence. First driving lesson I had, I somehow switched back into pilot mode and tried to take a right-hand bend by depressing the right pedal. Instructor not amused; thankfully no damage done other than to my self-esteem.

Think I realised I may have a slight problem when I bought a 4x4 purely because it has a artificial horizon, altimeter and compass.. Have yet to find a use for them! It even has a button that says A/THR and gives the engine a boost :)

img1007xa.jpg

Rob Prest

Think I realised I may have a slight problem when I bought a 4x4 purely because it has a artificial horizon, altimeter and compass.. Have yet to find a use for them! It even has a button that says A/THR and gives the engine a boost :)

Wow, that's something. I can see a use for an altimeter and compass, but an artificial horizon? Gotta get some cruise control for yourself, next best thing to an auto-pilot...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Apparently a lot of people out here go dune surfing in there 4x4's it basically consists of driving out in the desert and finding huge sand dunes to drive on at weird angles.

I enjoy quad biking out here in the desert but dont think driving at a 30 degree angle in a massive 4x4 out in the middle of nowhere is a smart move :)

Rob Prest

hehe, which is pretty much why I had to have it :)

Rob Prest

The artificial horizon on a 4X4 is to measure how steep a grade of a hill you are climbing, descending or traversing so you don't go over the limit and roll the truck over.

If you don't off road to that extreme you will never need it really.

Matthew Kane