Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Best GA Single or Twin for XPlane10...

Ha, too many classic planes! The other Simon is right, the Mu was my first xp purchase and still scares me silly. Gorans Duchess is a very accurate model with superb flight modelling, it and his Sundowner taught me how to do smooth landings.

Ha, too many classic planes! The other Simon is right, the Mu was my first xp purchase and still scares me silly. Gorans Duchess is a very accurate model with superb flight modelling, it and his Sundowner taught me how to do smooth landings.

Wilco! Thx Simon!!!!

And this too: http://xsimreviews.com/2012/08/10/alertworld-traffic-plugin-for-x-plane/

although not an airplane add-on :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Sorry, that plugin's not out yet - but better be soon, it looks so good!

My first X-Plane10 add-on!!!!

As per Simon's suggestion, I got the X-Aviation Sundowner....

All I have to say when looking at the shots at X-Aviation site is a BIG WHOW!!!!!

Great way to start!!!!!

:-)

More on this later ;-)... I have to install it later today... I'll report back my findings, unfortunately not based on any RL hands-on experience with the type :-)

Next will be the "Marquise" :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

That's cool J! A good choice, a very unassuming little plane that takes more concentration than you think to fly WELL.

I downloaded and installed the ROBIN DR400 140B (3D) recommended by Anthony_d above, and it is a great little plane. It helps if you understand a little French, but you can figure out those few controls labeled that way. There is no auto-pilot that I have been able to find yet, although there is GPS. Fun to fly at 150 - 200 knots and the sounds are great - on and off ground. Thanks Anthony for this free bird.

John Wingold

I downloaded and installed the ROBIN DR400 140B (3D) recommended by Anthony_d above, and it is a great little plane. It helps if you understand a little French, but you can figure out those few controls labeled that way. There is no auto-pilot that I have been able to find yet, although there is GPS. Fun to fly at 150 - 200 knots and the sounds are great - on and off ground. Thanks Anthony for this free bird.

Coincident you mention it... I just came from a "flight" on the DR-400. I know it from real life as an excellent glider tug used at LPEV :-) The model feels great.

Main Simulation Rig:

Hello Jcomm,

Can you let me know how the Sundowner handles edge-of-envelope flying like power on and off stalls, slips and spins if you get a chance? Thanks!

I'll report on that ASAP, although I have no RL experience in a Sundowner ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Hello Jcomm,

Can you let me know how the Sundowner handles edge-of-envelope flying like power on and off stalls, slips and spins if you get a chance? Thanks!

edit

Nevermind, it's the Sundowner we're talking......

L.Adamson

for curiosity sake, I had made reference to real life "twin" spins.......as with the Dutchess. For that model, I'd never worry about modeling spins.

Why would you not model something? You shouldn't spin many planes nor stall them but that doesn't mean that aspect of flight shouldn't be modeled.

For me, one of my favorite aspects of simulators is trying flying I wouldn't try in real life. For example, lately I've been trying to work on best dealing with engine out after takeoff at my local airport. It's fascinating but without correct stall and spin characteristics, it loses an aspect of fun. It's pretty easy to do that 180 turn if you don't have to worry about skidding into a stall and spin. And let's not forget the fun of slips!

Now to answer my own question, I'm sure the answer is 90% of sim flyers don't care but for my wallet, I'll always support companies like RealAir that model these behaviors.

Why would you not model something? You shouldn't spin many planes nor stall them but that doesn't mean that aspect of flight shouldn't be modeled.

For me, one of my favorite aspects of simulators is trying flying I wouldn't try in real life. For example, lately I've been trying to work on best dealing with engine out after takeoff at my local airport. It's fascinating but without correct stall and spin characteristics, it loses an aspect of fun. It's pretty easy to do that 180 turn if you don't have to worry about skidding into a stall and spin. And let's not forget the fun of slips!

Now to answer my own question, I'm sure the answer is 90% of sim flyers don't care but for my wallet, I'll always support companies like RealAir that model these behaviors.

I was referring to the Dutchess. For some reason, I was thinking it was the Dutchess that JC purchased. Normally, small twins are not required to do spin testing for certification. The Dutchess was tested, but with a spin chute. With light twins, it's not all that hard to end up in a non-recoverable flat spin. So.........an attempt to model it, would kind of being modeling the unknown, and a waste of time.

As to modeling slips and spins, as you've mentioned, I'm all for it. And I know all about the RealAirs. In fact, ages ago, I discussed spins with Rob, after the release of the Decathlon for Fly. I had been doing lot's of real life spins, including inverted in a Pitt's S2B at the time. Thanks to farther refinement in MSFS, the RealAir spin qualities were quite a bit better, than earlier examples in FLY.

Very cool. I must admit, I'd love to see RealAir do a plane for XPX. Maybe the upcoming 172 can be released for both. We can wish, at least.

I just got done flying around San Diego with the RealAir Scout. I'd love to combine its physics with that etherial feeling that XPX has with GA planes.

Well, instead of waiting on others to give me their opinions, I bit the bullet and bought a few planes:

- Alabeo Pitts S2S

- Carenado's 152 II

- Four Forces's 152

Note to devs: Put your planes for sale at a nice price point (see above) and I'll happily buy them on a whim and everyone's happy! :)

Now to try them out... :)

I think you'll be very happy with 4Force's C152,This little aircraft is Loaded with Character.Big%20Grin.gif

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick