Sign in to follow this  
poolep

2D cockpit view

I have been using PMDG 737 NG with FS2004 and absolutely love it.

Now I would like to upgrade to PMDG 737NGX with Windows 7 and FS X.

I'm not a lover of 3D cockpits and like to fly 2D.

From what I've seen of FSX, most 2D cockpit views have the view out front partly obscured and I get the feeling that I want to raise my seat a notch or two.

Before I invest $1500 in a new PC and 737NGX I would like to know if the 2D panel in 737NGX has this problem? Is it possible to do approaches in 2D with unobscured views for VFR landing ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

You're going to spend that much money on a new PC, then a pretty big amount of money on the NGX, and then you're going to sit in the 2D cockpit? The ngx is the price it is partly because of the amount of meticulous detail that has gone into the 3D virtual cockpit, my honest opinion would be to stay with the ifly 737 you're currently flying :) Just my opinion though, I know we have other 2D flyers out there that get just as much pleasure from the NG flying in 2D than 3D :D

In that case you should consider buying EZDOK camera. It'll allow you to use fixed viewpoints in the 3D cockpit so you'd be flying "2D" in the VC and you can set your cameras/viewpoints exactly the way you would want it.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Thanks for the replies.

I've always found the level of detail in the Virtual cockpit to be poor. For example, instrumentation is hard to read as it is too small.

I have a 19" monitor. Does the PMDG 737NGX have a Virtual cockpit that is "readable". In other words can I look out of the cockpit window and clearly see the instrumentation ?

Its a best VC ever, but your monitor is maybe a little bit small.

2D front view is useless, cant do anything with that angle of view.

The front view is of course partially obscured, as there is a 2d panel covering the bottom half of the screen. That said, the PMDG NGX's 2D panel is configured to look more towards the ground than most other 2D panel. If you feel like this angle is too little or too much then you'll be glad to hear that it is possible to adjust this angle in the config files.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Does the PMDG 737NGX have a Virtual cockpit that is "readable". In other words can I look out of the cockpit window and clearly see the instrumentation ?

If you look out the window in the VC you won't see the instruments, of course. Pretty much just like the real world, you have to glance down at the instruments to scan them while you are flying visually with "your eyes out the windscreen".

Enroute I use space/mouse to look around.

For approaches, I use TrackIR sometimes, especially when doing visual pattern work. On a regular IFR flight from A to B I just use the hat on the yoke/stick to tilt my view on final approach.

There are other options as well, like Ezdok. And then there is the HUGS.

Bottom line: Learn to use the VC and you will never go back to 2D. That's my point of view. :P

I used a 17" monitor before I got my new computer and I was just fine.

Bottom line: Learn to use the VC and you will never go back to 2D. That's my point of view. :P

Agreed.

Kyle Rodgers

2D front view is useless, cant do anything with that angle of view.

Absolute rubbish, I fly with 2D and it's fine. I did adjust the angle as someone else mentioned and it works perfectly.

Jay

2D Works fine, if you struggle with the viewpoint, you can always move it up or down using the default commands.

In PMDG u won´t have the 2d engine pedestal but you have the fire system view (what for ? Useless !). I dont know why. Partnership betwen PMDG and Flight1 to increase selling of EZDOKcam perhaps :P .