Sign in to follow this  

Light-brown 777 cockpit is hi-fi but IMO it seems to pertain to late '70 era

I know that the 777 cockpit in the reality is light brown colored but it would be nice IMO to add an option to render it dark grey like the NGX one. That brown aspect IMO is closer to first 747 of late '70 era despite 777 are like that also in the reality, I know that.

A nice option to have it dark grey would be a nice to have, don't you agree ?

Dark grey? The textures in the VC we last saw were perfect when I compared! Doubt PMDG would do that since that's not what's like in the real world.

Dark grey? The textures in the VC we last saw were perfect when I compared! Doubt PMDG would do that since that's not what's like in the real world.

Yes I know the real world ones are exactly like PMDG is reproducing them.

Seeing that customizations and also invented and/or fictional liveries always have a great degree of success I was wondering if having it dark grey would be appreciated. Of course as an option to choose from, beside the original and default light-brown one.

Yes, don't think there is any chance that it will happen, but it does pose the question on what the Boeing designers were smoking when they designed it. I thought beige had been illegal since the '80s. :P

Luckily they have come back to their senses for the 787.

This, without doubt, definitely won't be done. To start why would PMDG want to do this? Where would they get the resources from etc? Too much hastle for nothing IMO.

I used to play Level D 767 and the mod to render the cockpit dark grey was quite appreciated among the community.

I think it gives a sense of modernity, even if that's not a real thing.

I remember looking at the previews for PMDG's MD-11 years ago and being happy the cockpit was grey and now brown like the many Boeings, now days I am starting to like the brown. In my mind a grey 777 and even more so the 747-400 would seem wierd :P

Yes, don't think there is any chance that it will happen, but it does pose the question on what the Boeing designers were smoking when they designed it. I thought beige had been illegal since the '80s. :P

Luckily they have come back to their senses for the 787.

During a 5 part [fantastic] PBS documentry on the making of the 777 they (Boeing) did explain why they choose that colour. Something related to physiological studies on alertness.

I think thInk the darker brown colors are used to keep the crew awake during those long haul hops. Another reason is that darker colors such as brown are much better at disapating internal heat of the cocpit than colors like grey, which come from the flight deck equipment, which can get very warm at times. My guesse for the 787 is they went back to grey because they found better ways to alleviate the internal heat of the cocpit. I think brown is also picked because it causes less glare on the windows .

Yes, I did read "21st Century Jet: Making of the Boeing 777" and I remember there was a discussion in it about the colours of the cockpit, but I have forgotten all about it now. Maybe I should give it another read..

Yes, I did read "21st Century Jet: Making of the Boeing 777" and I remember there was a discussion in it about the colours of the cockpit, but I have forgotten all about it now. Maybe I should give it another read..

Hmm I didn't even know it was a book, I saw the TV documentry. Probably favorite doco I have ever seen.

I too, read the book. Found it a very interesting read for any 777 enthusiast. Lots of little facts including a lot of detail concerning the initial design of the aircraft.

Only Boeing can make Brown & Green look perfect :P

During a 5 part [fantastic] PBS documentry on the making of the 777 they (Boeing) did explain why they choose that colour. Something related to physiological studies on alertness.

What's the name of that show? I'd like to see it on TV, or perhaps online.