Sign in to follow this  

Light-brown 777 cockpit is hi-fi but IMO it seems to pertain to late '70 era

What's the name of that show? I'd like to see it on TV, or perhaps online.

You can watch all those on youtube. Just search with the name of the program you want to watch.

I know that the 777 cockpit in the reality is light brown colored but it would be nice IMO to add an option to render it dark grey like the NGX one. That brown aspect IMO is closer to first 747 of late '70 era despite 777 are like that also in the reality, I know that.

A nice option to have it dark grey would be a nice to have, don't you agree ?

The 1970 era 747's (classics) all had grey cockpits. The brown was introduced, for ergonomic reasons, on the 767 and 757 and then used on the 747-400. The 777 has always had a brown cockpit, but in Boeing terms it's a fairly recent innovation (mid 80s).

There was a joke at the time that Boeing had run out of war surplus battleship grey paint and so had to find a new supply. The cheapest available was unsold stocks of brown paint from the 70s.

ki9cAAb.jpg

What's the name of that show? I'd like to see it on TV, or perhaps online.

21st Century Jet, Making of the Boeing 777

Here is the first 1 hour part, other parts are there also:

http://video.google....731641323350192

There looks to be youtube uploads to but they are split up in 10 min sections, all of them low quality. I wish PBS would release a DVD set of this doco!

Yes, don't think there is any chance that it will happen, but it does pose the question on what the Boeing designers were smoking when they designed it. I thought beige had been illegal since the '80s. :P

Luckily they have come back to their senses for the 787.

I remember watching in a documentary as they explained why they switched chose the brown color for the 747 and 777. They said it was because of the warm feeling it brings, and also because the brown cockpit appearance is less likely to make a pilot sleepy than a grey one (something in that line). I can't remember what documentary it was, but it was boeing designers talking.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

A nice option to have it dark grey would be a nice to have, don't you agree ?

No

I remember watching in a documentary as they explained why they switched chose the brown color for the 747 and 777. They said it was because of the warm feeling it brings, and also because the brown cockpit appearance is less likely to make a pilot sleepy than a grey one (something in that line). I can't remember what documentary it was, but it was boeing designers talking.

Probably 21st century Jet, Making of the 777 as I mentioned in earlier posts above.

If PMDG gave us some of the source files used for making the cockpit texture, I am sure some of the talented painters could make a mod for gray cockpit. But that will 99% not happen, so we can only dream...

If PMDG gave us some of the source files used for making the cockpit texture, I am sure some of the talented painters could make a mod for gray cockpit. But that will 99% not happen, so we can only dream...

You can still open the VC texture files and color correct them for your own personal use. I've corrected adjusted many NGX textures to suit my own personal needs.

Erik L.

Yes, I know, I am a repainter, but the quality of modifications is much better when you have source files. Each time you decompile a dds and then recompile it, you loose a bit of quality....

I used to play Level D 767...

????

I never played it but did fly it often prior to the NGX. Just kidding, it always cracks me up when I see people say they "play" FSX, but never read some one say they "played" a certain aircraft. I always considered it as we are simming or flying a sim rather than just mindlessly playing a game.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator