Sign in to follow this  
shally17

How much better is liquid cooling?

Ah, you got me! Real liquid cooling since 2006 and going strong. No spills, no real broken parts (oh yes, one plastic thingy broke off that holds the reservoir...), cooling CPU, GPU, HDD, extremely silent (not only the cooling but the whole computer), and I would never ever again exchange it for anything else. And the best thing, real easy and clean to maintain - hardly any dust in the computer, I have to vacuum inside once a year, water exchange once-twice a year, no additives in the water, using exclusively destilled water. While H100 is cool solution for a single CPU cooler (albeit still warmer CPU than Swiftech X20 - 82 vs 74, which is a lot when overclocking), I can expand my watercooling to virtually any hot part of the computer, except PSU I think... And btw. my fans on the radi are on low :P My 2c.

Even though I only have the H100, I could never go back to the days of noisy fans on huge heat sinks. I have considered even getting one of the swiftech pump/waterblocks and cooling my GPU and CPU with a 3x120 rad.

Ah, you got me! Real liquid cooling since 2006 and going strong. No spills, no real broken parts (oh yes, one plastic thingy broke off that holds the reservoir...), cooling CPU, GPU, HDD, extremely silent (not only the cooling but the whole computer), and I would never ever again exchange it for anything else. And the best thing, real easy and clean to maintain - hardly any dust in the computer, I have to vacuum inside once a year, water exchange once-twice a year, no additives in the water, using exclusively destilled water. While H100 is cool solution for a single CPU cooler (albeit still warmer CPU than Swiftech X20 - 82 vs 74, which is a lot when overclocking), I can expand my watercooling to virtually any hot part of the computer, except PSU I think... And btw. my fans on the radi are on low :P My 2c.

http://www.performan...ex&cPath=59_319 :p0303:

Well come on to the states and set me a loop up! You make it seem simpler than what I have in mind. I see stories of unknown algae regardless of additives. Leaks popping up while users are on vacation or have let their guard down. Etc, etc. I'm just afraid my patience would be tested too much. Especially considering I'm about as much a neat freak as you seem to be. ^_^

My fans are always mid-voltage. -_- I would like a little less noise, but I think I've done pretty good with my little mods.

smh Money%20Eyes.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well come on to the states and set me a loop up! You make it seem simpler than what I have in mind. I see stories of unknown algae regardless of additives. Leaks popping up while users are on vacation or have let their guard down. Etc, etc. I'm just afraid my patience would be tested too much. Especially considering I'm about as much a neat freak as you seem to be. ^_^

My fans are always mid-voltage. -_- I would like a little less noise, but I think I've done pretty good with my little mods.

Hahaha, next time I plan a trip to States, I'll make sure I travel through North Carolina LOL :lol:

I heard the stories too, through I really wonder where they are coming from. I don't see how I could ever have a leak with my connectors. The only thing you must be careful about is correct planing of the plumbing, not too sharp angles, and least number of connectors possible (I have two per device and two separators to separate the radi for cleaning, because that's the only part that gets dirty as it is on the outside and has fans, it definitely needs twice a year cleaning, but it's really not a big fuss, I don't even have to let the water out).

Some details for you if you ever decide to venture:

I have these connectors, both 90degree and straight, depending on placement:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p289_Screw-connector-angle-external-thread-G1-4--on-10-8-rotatable.html

Something like this tubing, nothing super-expensive:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p204_Tubing-10-8-PUR-transparent-blau-UV-active.html

I have no springs to prevent tube-kink or any other helper things - I just made sure that I have no sharp angles.

And it absolutely doesn't matter which cooler you are using, as the connectors are compatible as far as I saw with any device, just gotta be careful about the size. Some prefer big tubes, I don't know if that might be the reason for leaks, I opted for the 10/8 tubes, as back in 2006 that was a standard.

Hahaha, next time I plan a trip to States, I'll make sure I travel through North Carolina LOL :lol:

I heard the stories too, through I really wonder where they are coming from. I don't see how I could ever have a leak with my connectors. The only thing you must be careful about is correct planing of the plumbing, not too sharp angles, and least number of connectors possible (I have two per device and two separators to separate the radi for cleaning, because that's the only part that gets dirty as it is on the outside and has fans, it definitely needs twice a year cleaning, but it's really not a big fuss, I don't even have to let the water out).

Some details for you if you ever decide to venture:

I have these connectors, both 90degree and straight, depending on placement:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p289_Screw-connector-angle-external-thread-G1-4--on-10-8-rotatable.html

Something like this tubing, nothing super-expensive:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p204_Tubing-10-8-PUR-transparent-blau-UV-active.html

I have no springs to prevent tube-kink or any other helper things - I just made sure that I have no sharp angles.

And it absolutely doesn't matter which cooler you are using, as the connectors are compatible as far as I saw with any device, just gotta be careful about the size. Some prefer big tubes, I don't know if that might be the reason for leaks, I opted for the 10/8 tubes, as back in 2006 that was a standard.

Stop by Virginia while you are at NC! Hahahaha :-)

- Grammar *censored*, this was sent from my phone.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

IMO, I think it's wrong to see a H100 as a water based system. You should see a water based system as what it is. It is a system that requires maintenance, despite what Word Not Allowed says(no offense Word Not Allowed:)) You should do some tweaking and maintenance once a year, at least. Preferably more often o/c.

Unless you have very special needs, I don't see any reason to get a water based cooling system on IB.

But, if you have the money and interest, I'll say go for it.

IMO, I think it's wrong to see a H100 as a water based system. You should see a water based system as what it is. It is a system that requires maintenance, despite what Word Not Allowed says(no offense Word Not Allowed:)) You should do some tweaking and maintenance once a year, at least. Preferably more often o/c.

Unless you have very special needs, I don't see any reason to get a water based cooling system on IB.

Are you being serious? Your two observations are so full of fail, that I don't know where to begin.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Are you being serious?

Yes, I am. Why do you think I'm not?

Are you being serious? Your two observations are so full of fail, that I don't know where to begin.

Don't edit your post, you should rather quote me, then I can see it. You should also come with some arguments, then I can see your point. I don't understand what you mean where I'm wrong.

Sorry for poor English btw.

Ok, to say that the H100 should not be seen as a water based solution based on the fact it does not require maintenance is simply absurd. Now, if your argument was because they do not cool as much as other "high maintenance" water systems, maybe, then maybe, you might have a leg to stand on.

But even if that was the argument, the fact that something like the H100, which costs much less, requires no maintenance and performs very well, should definitely be considered a water cooling solution. I think the right term for the H100 would be to call it an entry-level water cooling system.

Then you said that unless you have very special needs, you shouldn't get a water cooling system for the IB. That my friend, applies to EVERY CPU being sold, not just IB. If one plans on running a cpu at stock speeds, any air cooling solution will suffice, no doubt.

Now with IB such as the 3770K, as we all know very well by now, does not have their IHS soldered to it's die and Intel used a crappy TIM too. So once you start OC it as it was meant to be (reason for the K designation), temps will skyrocket and a water based solution is definitely the right choice if you want to keep temps down and get the most out of your OC endeavour.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

First of all, I think you want to argue for the sake of argue, which I'm perfectly fine with.:) And you're talking in disfavor of what you want to achieve I think.

Ok, to say that the H100 should not be seen as a water based solution based on the fact it does not require maintenance is simply absurd. Now, if your argument was because they do not cool as much as other "high maintenance" water systems, maybe, then maybe, you might have a leg to stand on.

What I mean is that a water based system should be a completely separate system. With a resvoir, pump, etc. I don't mean that an H100 isn't water(I mean o/c a liquid solution here, not 100% water) based. You're misunderstanding me.

But even if that was the argument, the fact that something like the H100, which costs much less, requires no maintenance and performs very well, should definitely be considered a water cooling solution. I think the right term for the H100 would be to call it an entry-level water cooling system.

I disagree. You will simply not gain any experience on a H100 that will help you in a separate water solution. Maybe the radiator will give some idea, but that's it.

Then you said that unless you have very special needs, you shouldn't get a water cooling system for the IB. That my friend, applies to EVERY CPU being sold, not just IB. If one plans on running a cpu at stock speeds, any air cooling solution will suffice, no doubt.

I'm talking mainly about the guys who like to go from, lets say 4.6 to 5.0. I think that every one that are running a water based system can agree with me on the point that the 0.4, or lets say 0.8 for the sake of the argument, isn't worth it objectively. Subjectively, sure it is. Hence my "But, if you have the money and interest, I'll say go for it"

Edit: And the point where IB peaks is more "dramatically" than the others. So it does actually apply to IB more than others.

First of all, I think you want to argue for the sake of argue, which I'm perfectly fine with.:) And you're talking in disfavor of what you want to achieve I think.

So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, it's arguing for the sake of arguing? lol Come on, man, don't get on the defensive so quick. This is just the Internet! :-)

What I mean is that a water based system should be a completely separate system. With a resvoir, pump, etc. I don't mean that an H100 isn't water(I mean o/c a liquid solution here, not 100% water) based. You're misunderstanding me.

I see what you did there. That is completely different from your first post.

Anyway, as far as parts go, the only thing missing on the H100 system is a reservoir. It has a pump (integrated), tubing, water block, radiator, hoses, liquid and fans. Looks like a water cooling system to me, albeit a closed and maintenance free one.

I disagree. You will simply not gain any experience on a H100 that will help you in a separate water solution. Maybe the radiator will give some idea, but that's it.

Building a water cooling system from scratch is not rocket science, bud. The H100 is not being sold to help people learn how to build a custom system and no one said buying a H100 for the purpose of learning to do a custom water loop. Where are you reading that?

I'm talking mainly about the guys who like to go from, lets say 4.6 to 5.0. I think that every one that are running a water based system can agree with me on the point that the 0.4, or lets say 0.8 for the sake of the argument, isn't worth it objectively. Subjectively, sure it is. Hence my "But, if you have the money and interest, I'll say go for it"

It sure is worth it when now for the first time since FSX was released, I can run it with ALL settings all the way to the right, using 4096MB REX-E textures in a thick soup of clouds and resolution of 1920x1080 with 8xS-2SGS AA, 16x AF at a rock steady 30FPS. Now you tell me if that isn't worth the extra 0.4?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

BimmerCop and phadis,

While I appreciate your mostly intelligent input, the slippery slope has gotten to an angle I'm not comfortable with in a family atmosphere. Please remember there are young kids who frequent the forum.

Now I could sit here and tell you how you are both wrong in the way this thread turned out, but I'd rather hope you take my advice and move along and put this behind you.

After reopening this topic (and removing two users permanently from this topic due to unappropriate behaviour in those last posts), I will say something I wanted to say OT, as an answer to those latest additions:

H100 can't be really called a "system", be it watercooled or not. A system is for me something modular. Something you can build. A computer is a system. But a simple aircooler is not really a system in my vocabulary.

So in that case H100 also is not a water cooling system. It is a watercooled CPU cooler. And a very good one.

Water cooling system beats it hands down by far.

Experience or not, building water cooling system requires some experience or really quite a lot of questions and research, I will say this first hand. But it is not a rocket science.

And yes, going 0.4Ghz or even more is well worth it, why do you think I wanted to go to 5.0? Unfortunately my CPU couldn't hold it... watercooling did though keep the temperature still quite colder than any aircooler or H100...

no additives in the water, using exclusively destilled water.

]

Have you ever messed around with things like Redline/ Water Wetter, etc? I know a guy that did and his temps were about the same.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB