Sign in to follow this  
Xtremme

ATC phraseology / procedures

Well I also have been in that situation alwasy trying VATSIM but always afraid for the "geniune" ATC thing. My local time flying time is about 2 to 3 in the morning in Australia, so I used to fly VATSIM there as there is normally no controllers around that time in the morning manning ATC around brisbane.

So one day I was on approach into brisbane just to get live ATC.. First I had such a freight, but I told the guy I am new. He took me through the whole process and was so accomodating. The ice was broken and have had a few more live sessions and it is getting better. yes it also help to put in comment "new to VATSIM/ATC". I must say all ATC controlers so far have been very accomodating and helping.

Oh the guy was a real controller that just finished a shift and when he got home he quickly logged in to see what is happening just to find me around brisbane and though hey, let me quickly talk down this guy. Always will remember that first one.

Hey guys ty all, is it ok if I join VATSIM or IVAO just as listener?

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember to have read something like "don't connect if you are not going to fly"

Nah.... they probably mean don't connect if you can't handle your plane. It's fine to listen. Just use VatSpy http://www1.metacraft.com/VATSpy/ and see where the busiest traffic is. Whatever you do don't start on the taxiway or runway.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you add "New to VATSIM" in your Comments field you will find that most ATC guys will be very accommodating and will be willing to help you and if it isn't a busy hub many pilots will also take time to chime in with advice.

I did this the other day at KLAX where, coincidentally, there was a trainee ATC as well. Got a few tips from him on what I did right and wrong. I'll keep doing that till I'm comfortable.

Remember -- It's a SIM -- It's NOT "REAL WORLD"

If you make a Mistake, nobody dies (except maybe your Ego)

EVERYONE started off where you were at some time.

EVERYONE (who wants to), will learn.

SUGGESTION:

Use VATSPY. Find an airport with ATC and few planes.

I GUARANTEE the controller there, who has only had two planes in the past 3 hours, will welcome you with open arms, and have the time to answer any questions you may have.

Pick a small (slow) GA Plane (Slow will give you more time to react/respond).

Fly the pattern, talking to the tower. You will soon get the hang of it.

If your 1st flight is IFR, in bad weather, with Sids & Stars, and a fancy Flight Plan, in an aircraft you are not familiar with, you are setting yourself up to fail

Remember: ATC is there to PROVIDE a "SERVICE" to you, the pilot.

Everyone makes mistakes. The only way you're going to anger someone is if you're deliberately messing around (the supervisors are quick to respond to a situation like that). Just try your best and take small steps and you're fine.

And sometimes when your really really trying hard to do it right and screw up by accident. I jumped straight in as it how I learn and did really well I thought, when approaching the airport I was handed of to the tower which I contacted and waited and waited for landing clearance, I mistakenly thought I'd been given it and landed. My word did I get a telling off. I was really enjoying it till then. The secret is to do some research which I hadn't but did learn a lot from it. So I took it on the chin. the other secret is to not give up. it adds a lot of fun and immerses you lots.

when approaching the airport I was handed of to the tower which I contacted and waited and waited for landing clearance, I mistakenly thought I'd been given it and landed. My word did I get a telling off. I was really enjoying it till then.

This was on VATSIM?

That's too bad you got the chewin'... but the bright side is if you ever take lessons (can't remember if you have your PPL or not) you will probably be certain you are "cleared to land".

I know an instructor who, as a student pilot, was practicing touch & go's at a towered airport when he got the clearance "cleared for low approach". Poor guy confused it with "cleared for the option" (cleared to land, stop n go, touch n go, or low approach). He was short final on Rwy 5, and a corporate jet was cleared to depart Rwy 10 (he was so "engrossed" he didn't know the jet was there). Guy executed a touch and go... next thing he knows he's got a controller screaming at the top of his lungs to get out of the pattern "and don't come back until I tell you!"

Later he went up to the "cab" (tower) apologized and squared things away with the controller (controller even apologized to him for yelling at him... woof).

He learned a couple valuable lessons that day. One was before those wheels squeak, to verify at least twice to himself, "am I cleared to land?".

Yeah if ever in doubt just ask. We have the responsibility to comply... but they have the responsibility to communicate (however many times it takes) so that we understand what they want us to do. I know I have been in the situation when unsure and unable to contact tower due to frequency congestion, to have gone around. And also to be on short final before getting clearance... sometimes they (the controllers) forget to issue the clearance (not Ryan B btw ^_^ ).

-Rob

@Rob haha like the story :)

No not got my PPL but have taken lessons and used to have an ex RAF friend who needed to keep up his hours on his PPL, so we shared the costs and I got to play with real planes *sigh* I let him do all the communicating as I was busy lol

When I got chewed as you so aptly put it, it was my fault as I was stressed at the time and was flying my 737 which was again not really the right thing to do being new to both the big plane and to VATSIM I was just too eager i guess, but you live, make mistakes and learn. The secret is not to make the same mistake twice.

Javier

Go to the Vatsim website. Register and after receiving your membership confirmation go and download the

client software which can be FSInn or Squawkbox . You can then connect to the network as an Observer.

Simply place your aircraft somewhere at the airport of your choice (except connecting while on a runway),

perhaps best at one of the gates. In FSInn and I believe alsoin SB, there is a box you can tick to inform the

Network you are an Observer. Tune to any of the active frequencies for this airport (assuming connected

at an airport with active ATC and watch and listen; you can even contact the Controller and say hello and

let him/her know you are there and if not too busy he/she will normally answer any questions you may have

while observing.

I'm with you there. I usualy listen in on VATSIM, file a flight plan, then chicken out as I'd prefer not to interfer with other players enjoying their sim time by soundling like an idiot and doing something stupid.

sounds familiar, lol

I agree with the last post: put into comment new to VATSIM. Connect to the network, sit on the busy airport and listen into requests and reactions. Some reading from the links provided earlier is good, as it will give you some basic idea. But in the end, you just have to throw yourself into the cold water and give it a go. There is no success without mistakes.

...can I wear sweatpants and a t-shirt flying that bird, or will ATC have an issue with that?

Remember -- It's a SIM -- It's NOT "REAL WORLD"

If you make a Mistake, nobody dies (except maybe your Ego)

EVERYONE started off where you were at some time.

EVERYONE (who wants to), will learn.

SUGGESTION:

Use VATSPY. Find an airport with ATC and few planes.

I GUARANTEE the controller there, who has only had two planes in the past 3 hours, will welcome you with open arms, and have the time to answer any questions you may have.

Pick a small (slow) GA Plane (Slow will give you more time to react/respond).

Fly the pattern, talking to the tower. You will soon get the hang of it.

If your 1st flight is IFR, in bad weather, with Sids & Stars, and a fancy Flight Plan, in an aircraft you are not familiar with, you are setting yourself up to fail

Remember: ATC is there to PROVIDE a "SERVICE" to you, the pilot.

Best Answer! It is, after all, a flying circus out there.