Sign in to follow this  
Xtremme

ATC phraseology / procedures

I really want to fly through VATSIM but I kinda suck at this :blush:

I know they provide some reading material but I think I need something more "for dummies"

Please suggest me a good tutorial with the basics, thanks!

Javier,

It depends where in the world you do most of your flying, as procedures and phraseology can change.

Javier,

It depends where in the world you do most of your flying, as procedures and phraseology can change.

Not so much.

I know they provide some reading material but I think I need something more "for dummies"

I've honestly never understood how folks learned ATC phraseology and procedures at home with no real world experience. My hat goes off to them! I couldn't use VATSIM until after I was deep into my private license. Between nervousness and ignorance, I wasn't sure I was ever going to become proficient on the radios while "in the system". Something clicked after I road along on a long cross country with some friends (sometime after my solo). It seems listening to them while watching their actions in the cockpit really boosted my confidence. With confidence, I decided to jump on VATSIM and practice what I had learned. A few flights and with only minimal screw ups, I got pretty darn good for a student pilot. Now I make it a habit of exposing students and "airspace weary" pilots to busy areas with me working the radios. Before long, they're chomping at the bits to get on the radio and sound professional.

The only way I can think of to simulate the above without real world training is to look for a specific flight on Flightaware at a location that isn't too busy (Greensboro, NC for example). Using planned times, tune into the proper controller facilities on LiveATC.net. Open a window for each link to each frequency -- have them prepared to open quickly. Tune the frequency when the aircraft you're following is handed off. The important frequencies to prepare: Clearance Delivery (sometimes ground is clearance delivery), Ground, Tower, Departure, and Approach (of the filed arrival airport obviously). Hope that makes since, and I also hope it's doable. I've honestly never tried it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Listen to LiveATC.net for a weekend.

Listen to each position (clearance/delivery, ground, tower, departure, center, approach) at least 30 min and you'll pick it up pretty quick after that.

Write down key phrases if you want and make yourself a cheat sheet when you fly on VATSIM.

You can even tune different countries and hear the subtle differences which are mirrored in VATSIM (such as European controllers referring to various positions as "control" or "radar" instead of "center").

I'm with you there. I usualy listen in on VATSIM, file a flight plan, then chicken out as I'd prefer not to interfer with other players enjoying their sim time by soundling like an idiot and doing something stupid.

Another way to learn is to use the default ATC, then, later, move on to a program such as Radar Contact. Both of these teach ATC procedures quite well, with the latter being more advanced. After using them with the "Display Text" option on for some time, turn it off, and just listen to the controllers without text showing you what they said (It can be brought up in the kneeboard, if you missed something). Finally, you may or may not choose to progress onto the last stage, which is VATSIM. Personally, I don't, for the same reason I never do multiplayer in games, and that's that I never find a server that's set up how I'd like, and in singleplayer, you never need to worry about AI "goofing off".

Another way to learn is to use the default ATC...

I apologize, but I have to strongly disagree with this. The default ATC phraseology and procedures are very different than the real-world procedures on VATSIM and using them to try and learn VATSIM is a step backward.

I cannot speak for radar contact other to say that I know it's better than default ATC but I'm not sure if it's a reasonable way to prepare for VATSIM.

The bottom line is VATSIM is NOT difficult if you just take the time to learn. It amazes me how many people are intimidated by it to the point that they refuse to try. The VATSIM PRC and other training programs make it very easy to learn just so long as you are actually willing to learn it. No one on VATSIM does everything right all the time. Everyone makes mistakes. The only way you're going to anger someone is if you're deliberately messing around (the supervisors are quick to respond to a situation like that). Just try your best and take small steps and you're fine.

Noah Bryant

Delta VA and VATCAN both have training programs. I haven't looked very closely at Delta's program, but VATCAN was really nice when I looked at it 2 years ago.

I know a LOT of guys who have never tried VATSIM because they're intimidated by the radio and/or learning curve. Advice... Don't be, you'll never regret getting involved - nothing else compares to it, especially during an event.

Yeah, everyone on VATSIM makes mistakes, it's how we learn!

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If you add "New to VATSIM" in your Comments field you will find that most ATC guys will be very accommodating and will be willing to help you and if it isn't a busy hub many pilots will also take time to chime in with advice.

http://www.vatsim.net/prc/prc-genlession/ is a great place to start and like most things worth pursuing you will have to go through the learning process. It isn't hard and if you are serious about your flight simming learning to interact with ATC and other pilots is a must. If you can't be bothered to go through the learning curve you may be better off using a programme like Radar Contact which does a pretty good job of replicating traffic procedures (although it too has a learning curve).

Persevere with Vatsim (or IVAO). They are well worth your time and effort.

Cheers!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I agree with the last post: put into comment new to VATSIM. Connect to the network, sit on the busy airport and listen into requests and reactions. Some reading from the links provided earlier is good, as it will give you some basic idea. But in the end, you just have to throw yourself into the cold water and give it a go. There is no success without mistakes.

If you add "New to VATSIM" in your Comments field you will find that most ATC guys will be very accommodating and will be willing to help you and if it isn't a busy hub many pilots will also take time to chime in with advice.

I'll try that tomorrow, or whenever my Orbx download is completed :rolleyes:

I would just log onto VATSIM and give it a go. Listen to other pilots and controllers and you will pick it up pretty quickly. I just did a flight tonight for the first time in 6 months on VATSIM and it came back to me very fast.

Hi guys. I think there is a program called vatspy. Once you feel like you want to at least try your skills, choose a place maybe where there is a local controller but not many aircraft at present. Vatspy will show you on a map the controller and who is coming and going. That way you won't feel like you could mess anyone up (although in my experience most people are understanding and don't mind helping)