Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

Will my current OS run on new hardware

I'm upgrading my system with a new Mobo and CPU. In the past i would always begin with (after building a new system) install a fresh OS. My noob question is: can i just put in my current HD with the OS and will it run, without damage.

Maybe it will, but I wouldn't recommend it. All your drivers and settings are set for the old system, so you should expect issues. You should at least uninstall all drivers before doing this.

If it's Win 7 not only is it very likely to work but also about the least painful thing you've ever done as it should be pretty automatic.

If it's Win 7 not only is it very likely to work but also about the least painful thing you've ever done as it should be pretty automatic.

I've had problems with this from an old Sempron to a new Phenom. I got BSOD's and a slow system as a result. Maybe it is a straight forward thing most of the times, but my experience tells me something different. I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks. I'm still on Vista.

Upgrading this:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ----> ASUS P8Z77-V LX

Intel Q9650 ----> Intel Core i5-3570K

My biggest concern are the chipset drivers. Maybe if i install the new chipset drivers just before switching hardware, the system will reconfigure itself correctly?

Thanks again.

I've had problems with this from an old Sempron to a new Phenom. I got BSOD's and a slow system as a result. Maybe it is a straight forward thing most of the times, but my experience tells me something different. I wouldn't recommend it.

My experience comes from my job as a PC tech in which I have done this many times and as I said "IF you're running 7 ... it SHOULD just work". The safe way is just to uninstall as many drivers as you can before you swap hardware, that's basically guaranteed to work and not have side effects.

Thanks. I'm still on Vista.

Upgrading this:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ----> ASUS P8Z77-V LX

Intel Q9650 ----> Intel Core i5-3570K

My biggest concern are the chipset drivers. Maybe if i install the new chipset drivers just before switching hardware, the system will reconfigure itself correctly?

Thanks again.

With Vista it's not a virtual certainty as it is with 7 but going Intel -> Intel is a piece of cake. Heck, I've even done it on XP.