Sign in to follow this  
jbassue

Far from a witty Idea

Im sure I'm not the only one who has thought about this, but I'm not carrying it out as yet.

As we wait for the 777, who wants a home cockpit for <$50? Well I do,

Well obviously you won't be getting a top notch cockpit so if you're looking for that, leave this topic NOW.

Okay, here's my idea, if you just so happen to have spare cardboard or stronger material at home, and provided you've the time, how about taking, http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=91&idcategory=23

That, and slapping it on there, cut it out and voila, your home cockpit, under $50!

If you aren't being submersed enough, buy about 4 iPads, Velcro them on each glass panel, buy about 30 switch boxes, and tape actual 777 switches on to them, huh? Sounds like a deal to me.

But in all seriousness, anyone think with some improvision, this just may be a neat idea?

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

How do you get the iPads to show FS panels? Doesn't this blow your theory of a $50 cockpit out of the water? Since the size of the cockpit is limited by the size of the poster, and being posters they are small in comparison to a cockpit, you're going to have a really small cockpit.

How do you get the iPads to show FS panels? Doesn't this blow your theory of a $50 cockpit out of the water? Since the size of the cockpit is limited by the size of the poster, and being posters they are small in comparison to a cockpit, you're going to have a really small cockpit.

It's always your choice to get the iPads, everyone has 4 of them to himself, because everyone will do this project, ;). Airdisplay.

Nobody said it was scale :s

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

<$50 is what you meant to type.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

It would be much cheaper to buy LCD screens than Ipads. You can also only display things from fsx on an iPad through an internet connection, so it would be sluggish at times. You would benefit from LCD screens as they connect directly to your pc.

It's always your choice to get the iPads, everyone has 4 of them to himself, because everyone will do this project, ;). Airdisplay.

Nobody said it was scale :s

You said:

"That, and slapping it on there, cut it out and voila, your home cockpit, under $50! "

That's by cutting out the poster which is a limited size. As above you're better off buying LCD screens.

"That, and slapping it on there, cut it out and voila, your home cockpit, under

T

It would be much cheaper to buy LCD screens than Ipads. You can also only display things from fsx on an iPad through an internet connection, so it would be sluggish at times. You would benefit from LCD screens as they connect directly to your pc.

Indeed, I completely overlooked that, we may want to scrap that poster from PMDG and design something similar, because the slap ons would be real small

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Here is a good example of a home cockpit. this would probably cost less than 2 iPads! I plan to make my own very soon, I really want to get immersed into the environment of fsx. I like your idea about using PMDG's poster or a similar method.

You said:

"That, and slapping it on there, cut it out and voila, your home cockpit, under $50! "

That's by cutting out the poster which is a limited size. As above you're better off buying LCD screens.

"That, and slapping it on there, cut it out and voila, your home cockpit, under

T

We don't discriminate against midgets here at AVSIM, come on Dev.

Here is a good example of a home cockpit. this would probably cost less than 2 iPads! I plan to make my own very soon, I really want to get immersed into the environment of fsx. I like your idea about using PMDG's poster or a similar method.

Is that one LCD he uses for the displays? Disregard that question

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

It appears to be yeah! Thats what I love about it. I used to think I would need one screen per display.

Actually 4 ipads seems cheaper than that. I'm not sure not the yokes/throttles were cheap.

It appears to be yeah! Thats what I love about it. I used to think I would need one screen per display.

I bet some CRT screens would work as well, for a cheaper price, but then the frame of the pit would need be wood to support weight.

This thread is shaping up to belong in the home cockpit forums....

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Actually 4 ipads seems cheaper than that. I'm not sure not the yokes/throttles were cheap.

Yeah that is indeed true, but the main panel and screens will be I bet. Most of us simmers will already have a form of flight yoke or joystick. That throttle quadrant appears to be one from a company like "flight deck soloutions" which cost a fortune :(