Sign in to follow this  
High flyer

24” or a 27” monitor on a 1920x1080 resolution

Hi,

I’m in the market for a new monitor for FSX (instead of having FSX on my 13” screen on my laptop). I’m considering a 27” (with instruments at almost the identical size as in reality) on a 1920x1080 resolution (Full HD 1080p).

But now I’m a bit concerned about the image quality of having 1920x1080 on a 27”; the pixels per inch will be like 81 as opposed to 92 ppi on a 24” monitor with the same resolution.

I know that also the viewing distance plays a role in this. With my Saitek Proflight yoke between me and the monitor, the viewing distance will be like 31 to 35 inches (80 to 90 cm). This viewing distance can be easily increasing by putting the monitor further away from me on my desk.

What are your experiences with this? What size monitor are most of you using with a single monitor setup? And what would you recommend me, should I go for a 24” or a 27” monitor?

hey Devon,

I'd go for 27". I have a 27" Dell. It's lovely. Its native resolution is 1900x1200 and it runs FSX great (I also have a second 22" square monitor next to it so I can run gauges in the second window even in full screen mode..It rocks..

get a fast IPS one..Mine is quite old and slow (>7ms)

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Thanks for the input Jake. I also had this question too because I am quite reluctant to get a 2560x1600 monitor.

The bigger the better. End of story :)

I have three 27" displays, and have something like 0,6-0,8 meters to the center one. before, that was 3x 21,6" and I have to tell You, it is much easier to land gently in GA on bigger screen.

27" and 1080p isn't the best combination, IMHO. Up close it can get a bit pixelated and far away it's still not quite big enough to see small details, like reading instruments in the VC. 2560x1440 @ regular monitor viewing distance though is much better. Some nice deals on 1440p 27" monitors now, around $400 for a decent one if you have a Micro Center nearby, otherwise you have to order from Korea on Ebay.

The bigger the better. End of story :)

I have three 27" displays, and have something like 0,6-0,8 meters to the center one. before, that was 3x 21,6" and I have to tell You, it is much easier to land gently in GA on bigger screen.

Jealous, me? ;)

I live in a place called Poole in the uk..just up the road is a small industrial estate in the middle of nowhere..on this estate is what can only be described as a large shed. In it are these two guys like something out of a left-field tv series, and they take _all_ of the monitor (and a fair whack of the pc) returns from Dell in the uk. They refurb them and sell them for half price, with a years warranty. If you live in the uk, they sell through eBay. My 27" was pretty much new, had (and still has) no dead pixels, dual-input (two sources), DVD-D, DisplayPort, and was £400 (875 new) I'm on holiday now but when I get back I'll post their details. They have an eBay shop.

I wonder if there's a similar place or places in the us? Dell make really, really good monitors. Way better than their pcs :) but hey are expensive..

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I am also looking into getting a new monitor, as my current Samsung 2232BW at

1680x1050 isn't ideal for FSX... Its too pixelated!

I too am looking for a 27" 1080p monitor. Any

recommendations? price isn't an issue!

I too am looking for a 27" 1080p monitor. Any

recommendations? price isn't an issue!

THIS is probably the nicest monitor out at the moment. Although, it does come with 3D glasses, it is not required that you use them.

THIS is probably the nicest monitor out at the moment. Although' date=' it does come with 3D glasses, it is not required that you use them.[/quote']

Meh.....16:9 blows.

16:10 30 inch at 2560x1600, now you are talking.

I also have a 16:10 27inch 1920x1200 which I have to say is quite impressive too!

hey Devon,

I'd go for 27". I have a 27" Dell. It's lovely. Its native resolution is 1900x1200 and it runs FSX great (I also have a second 22" square monitor next to it so I can run gauges in the second window even in full screen mode..It rocks..

get a fast IPS one..Mine is quite old and slow (>7ms)

jake

Dell made a 27" panel with a 1920x1200 resolution? The only 27" Dell I have every seen is the one with the 2560x1440 resolution.

Meh.....16:9 blows.

16:10 30 inch at 2560x1600, now you are talking.

I also have a 16:10 27inch 1920x1200 which I have to say is quite impressive too!

While 2560x1600 is nice, I could really do without the AG Coating Dell uses on some of it's panels. It's irritating and messes up the picture, IMO, on some panels.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Dell made a 27" panel with a 1920x1200 resolution? The only 27" Dell I have every seen is the one with the 2560x1440 resolution.

While 2560x1600 is nice' date=' I could really do without the AG Coating Dell uses on some of it's panels. It's irritating and messes up the picture, IMO, on some panels.[/quote']

I don't know about what Dell use but I find my HP Zr30w fine in terms of screen coating.