Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Recording FSX videos with MSI Afterburner

I use MSI Afterburner to record videos, but I recently tried to record an FSX flight, and my frames dipped from about 30 to an average of 8. Can anyone that uses MSI Afterburner to record FSX share their settings? I tried a plethora of different options, but my frames averaged to 8 every single time. My frames dipped to only 23 once, but I had to choose the option of recording with 1/2 frame, which makes the quality bad and doesn't record in 1920x1080, which I have seen people on Youtube post.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

I find the best program for recording video is GameCam. It has little to no performance hit (maybe 1 to 2 frames top), and it won't eat your hard drive alive. Look at my channel below. You can record full flight videos (1hr+) for about 1GB plus or minus). It's a rather old program though so it doesn't support things like 2 audio sources. Another more recent program is Bandicam. This one claims it performs better then FRAPS, but I find there is little difference. It does though reduce the hard drive space for videos, (Similar to GameCam) and supports mixing 2separate audio devices, allowing you to record both FSX and your voice from a USB Headset. Nothing though that I have seen compares to GameCam for performance, except maybe FSRecorder, but with that the audio won't sync up with the video.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I find the best program for recording video is GameCam. It has little to no performance hit (maybe 1 to 2 frames top), and it won't eat your hard drive alive. Look at my channel below. You can record full flight videos (1hr+) for about 1GB plus or minus). It's a rather old program though so it doesn't support things like 2 audio sources. Another more recent program is Bandicam. This one claims it performs better then FRAPS, but I find there is little difference. It does though reduce the hard drive space for videos, (Similar to GameCam) and supports mixing 2separate audio devices, allowing you to record both FSX and your voice from a USB Headset. Nothing though that I have seen compares to GameCam for performance, except maybe FSRecorder, but with that the audio won't sync up with the video.

Thanks, just checked it out, and it seems to not kill my fps too much. However, I only have a trial version, so the recording settings weren't that high. I would still like to see how to properly do it with MSI Afterburner since it is free, but if that means I have to lower my settings too much, then I might get Gamecam.

Alfredo Terrero

I just tried recording with the demo version of Fraps, and my FPS only go down by about 3-4 (this is recording at 30FPS and Full Size in Fraps). I'm beginning to think that MSI Afterburner simply has trouble recording FSX on high settings, or that maybe my own settings are somehow wrong, because whether I try with the NGX or with the default trike, my FPS will decrease from about 30 average to 8-9 FPS. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? I have noticed that when one presses the record hotkey in MSI Afterburner, the screen flashes and you get the "The theme has been switched to Windows 7 Basic" message, just like Windows gives when FSX is started. Also, when I start FSX, I have to click anywhere on my desktop, or my hotkey for recording doesn't work. Could these two phenomena point to why my FPS are so low recording with MSI Afterburner (recording in other games hardly yields any FPS impact)?

Alfredo Terrero