Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Some info from Mathijs Kok on flights demise.

The flight dynamics did have the potential to be great. With all of the landing challenges, though, I wish slips had made it into the simulation.

You are kidding right? What part of slipping isn't modeled? You would be hard pressed to perform most of the landing challenges and earn gold without slipping. I should soon be able to comment on the accuracy of the Stearman model, and I won't be surprised if I find out that it is accurate.

The one thing I was a bit annoyed with is the tameness of the ground handling of the tailwheel aircraft. Try as I might, I couldn't get the darn things to ground loop. Then again no other simulator I have used has modeled this well, but I plan to pick up to A2A Cub to find out.

I wish slips had made it into the simulation.

They did. The effect is subtle though. For the longest I didn't think forward slips worked either, but one day I realized I was cross controlled on a crosswind landing and not drifting with the wind, and had been doing so on all my crosswind landings. With a bit more bank, I was drifting into the wind, at least in the Maule.

The effect may not be quite what you're used to from other flight sims.

This is the danger of trying any game for a couple of days and giving up on it. You miss a lot of depth.

I couldn't get the darn things to ground loop.

I dunno, I got a couple of ground loops in the Stearman. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

You are kidding right? What part of slipping isn't modeled? You would be hard pressed to perform most of the landing challenges and earn gold without slipping. I should soon be able to comment on the accuracy of the Stearman model, and I won't be surprised if I find out that it is accurate.

The one thing I was a bit annoyed with is the tameness of the ground handling of the tailwheel aircraft. Try as I might, I couldn't get the darn things to ground loop. Then again no other simulator I have used has modeled this well, but I plan to pick up to A2A Cub to find out.

I have the time and ratings to back my statement up. Slips are not only inaccurate, they're nearly non-existent.

I have another news flash for you. The A2A Cub handling on hard top isn't close either. I have the time to back that up, too.

They did. The effect is subtle though. For the longest I didn't think forward slips worked either, but one day I realized I was cross controlled on a crosswind landing and not drifting with the wind, and had been doing so on all my crosswind landings. With a bit more bank, I was drifting into the wind, at least in the Maule.

I stand by what I said. With respect.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

This original AVSIM Interview was when I was convinced what I needed to do and which sim was for me.

http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&folder=/AVSIM%20Pages&id=8

"JH: ... our journey will be continuing to explore ways to bring the magic of flight to a massive audience.

... You mean continuing to explore new ways to get even more money from customer's wallets.

I love how MS tries to sugar coat this.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

I stand by what I said. With respect.

And I stand by what I said. We've got hundreds of hours in the game, and hundreds of landings.

Is the effect totally accurate? I doubt it. But forward slips do work in the game. Like I said earlier, I was expecting something a bit different as well.

Hook

Larry Hookins

And I stand by what I said. We've got hundreds of hours in the game, and hundreds of landings.

Is the effect totally accurate? I doubt it. But forward slips do work in the game. Like I said earlier, I was expecting something a bit different as well.

Hook

What you described above would be side slips (what you do when landing with a cross wind). Something I can pull off decently in finely tuned FSX add-ons. What doesn't work are forward slips (pedantic but they are slightly different). The classic "get down fast slip". That sort of maneuver is impossible in Flight, FSX, FS9, and the rest. I'm not sure about X-Plane...

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Slipping to lose altitude in Flight is easy. I use it frequently because I habitually am too high on final. Flight bush strips often have a tall tree right on the end of the runway.

The classic "get down fast slip".

Ok, this one I don't understand either. I know that when I purposely cross controlled to lose alittude, I lost a bunch in a hurry. Occasionally during a crosswind landing described above I had to add a lot of power to keep from descending too fast.

I suspect all of the planes act differently in this regard. A lot of what you saw in the game would depend on the aircraft you were flying at the time; they don't act much alike, and the differences are more than you'd expect from just a different aircraft. I suspect the flight models aren't all tuned to the same degree.

The Stearman is one that will lose altitude in a hurry when cross controlled.

Hook

Larry Hookins

The classic "get down fast slip". That sort of maneuver is impossible in Flight, FSX, FS9, and the rest. I'm not sure about X-Plane...

I'm not sure what you are taking issue with. I can drop my wing and fly crabwise at the runway and easily initiate a "get own fast" descent at a rate that drops off the bottom end of the VSI into a 1500fpm+ descent from a steady 500fpm and back just like I would do in a C172. It's kind of hard to comment on any of the Flight aircraft since I haven't flown them in RL and I don't own the flight Cub. However, the Stearman drops like a rock in a forward slip, in a 30+ degree bank with the rudder kicked out all the way and cross controlled ailerons, just like I would expect.

I do feel that rudder is a little under-modeled in the C172 in FSX and is unable to hold the nose up as much as it should therefore limiting the max extent to which you can forward slip, but it definitely does work better than absolutely not at all. X-Plane performs about the same in this area IMHO. I honestly feel that Flight improved on this area since it appears to model the effect of the slipstream on the rudder. A little power makes a huge difference on rudder effectiveness.

Shame that the ground handling isn't much improved in the A2A Cub.

It's a fairly unanimous "AVSIM MS Flight" statement, and I agree with, the "I coulda been a contenda!". But really, we have to come to the full realiazation that Microsoft is way too big to listen to a tiny corner, of a tiny corner of their business. The Aerosoft people got it. MS is in a total state of flux right now, Google, Apple, etc. are beating them to the punch all over, and the tiny (flexible, talented) flight sim companies are the least of their worries. Yet, I believe as many of you do, that the future of a better flight simulator experience, lies with the Aerosoft's and the other great fight sim companies. Let's support them. Someone said that the giant may reawake some day and re-enter the market. I hope MS survives it's current business challenges and rises again to produce the best flight simulator ever.

Pity,'cause I really was interested in reading what Mathijs had to say as I missed the original interview.

Hello

How can you miss it, the interview is on Avsims front page

I agree with what Mathijs said. Flight lacked focus and direction, and that came from the top. I will say it over and over, that flight simming is best left out of MS unless the core corporate structure changed, and I dont see that happening any time soon. Flight sims are best left to more agile developers who know what users want, and wont just blindly follow "market research" for the all-mighty $$ to impress share holders. A sim could never survive like that.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Mathijs Kok said;

The moment we understood what it would be we told each other that it would not work, that Microsoft just did not understand the kind of customer that pays our bills.

This shows he deidn't appreciate that flight wasn't targeted at the kind of customer that pays his bills. Microsoft made that very clear.

It's a pity he wasn't asked about his Flight Simulator 2012. With Flight out of the way the field is now open surely?

Well, what can I add... From a real pilot perspective, just like many of you, FLIGHT feels closer to real, in terms of FD, in terms of environment, than anything I tried before - period! I simply can't deny it, nor can I convince myself that after installing FSX Gold I am feeling at home... No I am/was not....

After the experience of "flying" FLIGHT, it's seriously difficult for me to feel satisfied with pretty much any thing else. I am giving others a chance now, not because I am desperate, but because having re-entered the simmers world and invested on a new PC, I would at least like to maximize my investment...

X-Plane10 is now my new simming occupation, but it's FLIGHT I start everyday to "Fly" in the very 1st place... BTW: todays Aerocache is great! but has a little problem in the intersection ;-)

Just one more thing.... I really didn't like the way Mathijs "commemorated" the announcement of FLIGHT's demiss at the Aerosoft forums... (I mean here ... starting with the topic tittle...)There was a team behind the project, and a dedicated group of talented programmers that made FLIGHT the most true to real flight experience on a PC up to now....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Mathijs Kok said;

This shows he deidn't appreciate that flight wasn't targeted at the kind of customer that pays his bills. Microsoft made that very clear.

It's a pity he wasn't asked about his Flight Simulator 2012. With Flight out of the way the field is now open surely?

Please do not put words into other people's mouth. I conducted the interview and Mathijs was kind enough to provide his personal views on issues that affect the hobby we are all passionate about. His best interests are YOUR best interests.