Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Some info from Mathijs Kok on flights demise.

Please do not put words into other people's mouth. I conducted the interview and Mathijs was kind enough to provide his personal views on issues that affect the hobby we are all passionate about. His best interests are YOUR best interests.

I don 't believe I put any words in anyone's mouth.

I commented on what he actually said, and asked why there was no mention of Aerosoft's Flight Simulator 2012.

His best interests are not necessarily mine.

Hello

What I don't get is, if Flight! is so great why are so many in this forum coming back to FSX.

They are both platforms abandoned by MS, so no difference there.

What have you to gain by moving to another platform ?

I keep hearing that the graphics are better in Flight!, that the Aircraft fly better in Flight! so why the need to move to another platform.

If I liked a Sim as much as some seem to like Flight! I would not need to look elsewhere.

Hello

What I don't get is, if Flight! is so great why are so many in this forum coming back to FSX.

I keep hearing that the graphics are better in Flight!, that the Aircraft fly better in Flight! so why the need to move to another platform.

If I liked a Sim as much as some seem to like Flight! I would not need to look elsewhere.

No difference there...? I guess you know the answer yourself :wink: but let me give it a shot. (And since I've been a mod of this forum and a heavy participator, I think some might wonder why I left. :wink: )

I went back to FSX because it has lots of addons and things are still being developed for it. HUGE DIFFERENCE. :wink: And there is a lot more to do in FSX when it comes to simming.

There were TWO things I loved about Flight: the light system (great shadows) but mainly the promise it held for the future. I could live with the many shortcomings of Flight because I had high hopes for what was to come. But now that future is gone and dead all that's left is a nice looking game with nice shadows (although flickering in the VC) and that's certainly not enough to keep me entertained...!

I never shared the joy about the FD because I am not a real world pilot and imho the planes in FSX fly great too... Everything that stays in the air and doesn't plummet to the ground just like that flies great in my book. :wink: (I did like it though that real world pilots said Flight performed well in that regard: it IS nice 'knowing' something is apparently pretty realistic.)

Oddly enough I also liked Flight because it LACKED features which forced me to learn all about VOR and approach plates, something I didn't need to do in FSX! I think I had the most fun with Flight learning all that. If I had already known all about it, I probably would have stopped playing the game a long time ago (I already had periods where I didn't play the game for weeks). The fact that I felt forced to learn all about VOR makes clear that I did need 'something to sim' in Flight... ONLY flying around from A to B, enjoying the FD, isn't my kind of thing.

After going back to FSX I bought the RealAir Lancair (which had been released while I was enjoying Flight) and that plane makes every Flight plane look like a toy imho. (Specially after adding the RXP GNS 530 to it.) There are loads of addons being developed for FSX so FSX still has a living future! And who knows, maybe P3D v2.0 may become something good too (I am not interested at all in the current version). And we all know about all the missing basic features (ATC, AI, AP, ADF to name a few A's but also moving things on the ground and water, configurable weather, etc.). Also graphically FSX looks more real (with REX and Orbx that is) then Flight (which looks like a good looking game). I do miss those great shadows though... (Oh, and the reflections too!)

In short: apart from the light system and the reflections there is nothing that interest me anymore in Flight... so that's why I went back to FSX. And I am having a ball with it.

The classic "get down fast slip". That sort of maneuver is impossible in Flight, FSX, FS9, and the rest. I'm not sure about X-Plane...

Having not simmed for a while, I guess my memory painted things a bit more rosy. After loading up both FSX and Flight and slipping away, I'm with you on this one. You can't really do a forward slip. The nose comes down a lot, the airplane ends up diving at the ground and picks up lots of speed. Can you get the appearance of a forward slip for a brief moment in time, but if you try to sustain it, it's a no go.

Having not simmed for a while' date=' I guess my memory painted things a bit more rosy. After loading up both FSX and Flight and slipping away, I'm with you on this one. You can't really do a forward slip. The nose comes down a lot, the airplane ends up diving at the ground and picks up lots of speed. Can you get the appearance of a forward slip for a brief moment in time, but if you try to sustain it, it's a no go.[/quote']

The RA Lancair Legacy in FSX does a pretty good job with forward slip modeling. It's one of RA's specialities.

Hello

Because being stopped for now the FLIGHT project will not be able to reach all of my expectations regarding what I would like to have in a civilian flightsim. I was placing huge hopes on FLIGHT, looking for additional weather configuration, more instruments/systems/airplanes in the future, even ATC. It appears we will not have it, at least for now...

But FLIGHT's FD is still the best I have experimented so far, yes!

I returned - for a while - to FSX because:

- I had a few great add-ons that I could still use with it

- I had a new machine I believed would run it flawlessly

- It would give me more sophisticated aircraft, and even a glider and CumulusX! to allow for some sort of soaring...

I gave up because - after a few days (and I never understood this strange phenomenon with FSX!!!) of acceptable performance, after some tweaking, the stuttering began, the FDs aren't really up to what I have in FLIGHT, for accurate IFR I still have ELITE (the one I never uninstall :-) ) and.... I decided to give Xplane a new try...

Yet, it's FLIGHT I still start everyday, either to just takeoff, make a circuit and land, or to get AOTDs :-)

FLIGHT is still the only simulator that put's me into that state of mind....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What you described above would be side slips (what you do when landing with a cross wind). Something I can pull off decently in finely tuned FSX add-ons. What doesn't work are forward slips (pedantic but they are slightly different). The classic "get down fast slip". That sort of maneuver is impossible in Flight, FSX, FS9, and the rest. I'm not sure about X-Plane...

This is simply not true. You can bring Flight's RV-6 down very rapidly without picking up speed in a forward slip. Steep approaches with this technique is the only way to get the plane into a lot of the short Alaska strips with tall trees right on the end of the runway.

Getting it back out again is another thing, though.

Totally realistic behavior in the slip? No, not so much. But it's certainly not accurate to say "The classic 'get down fast slip'. That sort of maneuver is impossible in Flight."

My guess is, there are many that enjoy Flight but at the same time they want to run a flight sim that has a future. While yes FSX is an abandoned platform by MS, at this point the whole fs franchise is abandoned by MS, it lives on through new development by 3PD's. I think that alone contributes greatly to many returning to, or going to, FSX. There will be no new development for Flight in the foreseeable future , at least that is the perception at this time. Certainly one can still have a lot of fun with it, but knowing there is nothing more to come kind of puts a cloud over it.

As for me, prior to the release of FSX, my passion was with combat flight sims. For whatever reason, I was never able to really get into previous versions of MSFS. I got FSX the week it was released, and have since logged several hundred hours in it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the last year or so with FS Genesis Mesh, UTX, GEX, REX2, and Accufeel.

However after giving Flight a try after it's release, I have pretty much only flown it, with the occasional diversion of my combat sims, and have not launched my FSX since. I am approaching 200 hours in Flight.

I don't know that I will launch FSX again either, I still need to update my REX with Essentials, and since getting my new Warthog create a joystick profile for it, which would be easy enough. At this time though, I don't feel the motivation to get back into it, at least just yet.

I think for me at this point, I have three fairly new combat sims just waiting for me, installed and ready to go. All three have some exciting development going on with them, and appear to have a very bright future. They each have a steep learning curve, and really Flight has kept me away from starting to go through that curve. But now I find my interest leaning more toward them, after the dissappointing news about Flight. I was so looking forward to what Flight might have become

For the short term, I will likely continue most of my simming with Flight , while slowly spending more time with my other combat sims, eventually moving more toward them, especially in the fall/winter when I will have much more available time.

There certainly is a great opportunity now, for another company to step up to the plate and develop a new kick butt civilian flight sim, and hopefully someone will.

Yet, it's FLIGHT I still start everyday, either to just takeoff, make a circuit and land, or to get AOTDs :-)

I'm still with you jcomm. I have been back to FSX and found it lacking for what I am looking for. I do not have any addons and am not interested in tweaking forever. I will continue to dabble in FSX just because I have a new Gold Edition and want to play with my Trackir5.

I still start MSFlight every morning and it is the last thing I do at night. I was very commited to the whole project and im still very saddened by it's untimely demise.

I also have aeroflyFS to play with and will be watching that very closely, they are updating all the time.

Steve

I have a new Gold Edition

I just hope you were not influenced by me on that :blush: It was **only** €29,90 but if it was today, I wouldn't certainly have bought it and go through that irritating tweaking stress who simply took me away lots of minutes of fun flying FLIGHT!

Same here, start FLIGHT when I wake up in the morning, around 6:00 AM, then at night when I arrive home, or just before going to bed. Even 10' on FLIGHT can give me more joy than the flight time I in my excellent Flight1's PC-12 on approaches under bad weather (is there any such thing in MSFS... like proper turbulence/shear/updrafts/downdrafts??? No, not even with expensive add-ons....) to LPPT. Either the FD don't feel acceptable, or the weather at full extreme turbulence behaves like a calm summer day, or those coupled approaches are useless with an AP / FD that are a joke (for that I have ELITE!!!!)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No, I got my FSX Gold back in January from Amazon. I had worn out my old copy and that did not have acceleration. I had the old copy in and out so many times over the years that MS would not let me load it anymore. No Loss.

I'm still with you jcomm. I have been back to FSX and found it lacking for what I am looking for. I do not have any addons and am not interested in tweaking forever. I will continue to dabble in FSX just because I have a new Gold Edition and want to play with my Trackir5.

I installed FSX for the first time in years this weekend and have spent much of my spare time since then trying to find settings that work well.

I had old copies of UTX (a 'must have' for me due to the dramatically improved coastlines and roads) as well as GEX and reinstalled them. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance achieved on a i7 2600K at 4.4GHz (mine starts getting a little flaky at 4.5) and Radeon 6850... capped at 30fps and holding that in most areas, dropping down to low 20's in heavier areas. No noticeable stutters. Yet, anyway.

The only big issue I have with FSX at this point is the autogen popping up right in front of me. That rippling effect on the nearby ground is incredibly distracting after getting used to Flight's smooth rings of autogen fading in and out in the far distance.

I'm about at the point where I'm willing to buy some good quality payware (ORBX scenery, RealAir planes, maybe AS2012), but am leery about dumping a lot of money into things that may or may not work with Prepar3D 2.0 (whenever it arrives). Lockheed has indicated a couple of times they are working on alpha-blending to fix the autogen pop-ups, but this is unlikely to appear before version 2.0. The DX11-upgrade coming in P3D 2.0 is likely to break some of the older add-ons. ORBX seems committed to P3D support, so I'm sure issues there will be corrected. The other stuff... no way to know.

But if P3D 2.0 fixes the autogen problem with FSX, I'm there.

For now, with FSX running about as best I can hope for under DX9, I'm reading up on the progress by stevejp to get the DX10 issues fixed for FSX. He's already corrected the flashing runways textures, the opaque black transparencies and the broken taxi markers with shader modifications. It also seems he's pretty close to fixing the in-cockpit shadowing that I miss so much from Flight.

Always agreed with you on this point jcomm - I don't have the time, money, or technical knowledge to do all the things with FSX that would get it close to what Flight offers "out of the box". Not to say there aren't a lot of things in FSX I wish were in Flight but when you talk about overall experience Flight is the best to date. One of my favorite parts of Flight that I don't see people mention too often are the Jobs. It could have been so cool to have seen the Jobs expanded to a career mode, larger planes/jets, etc...

One of my favorite parts of Flight that I don't see people mention too often are the Jobs.

I am with you there, flying jobs in the Maule is practically all I have done for the last 2-3 months.

How comes that FSX + let's say PMDG products that have a learning curve of several months are still on the edge after all these years and Flight which has a learning curve of 3 seconds has just closed its career after few months ?