Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Some info from Mathijs Kok on flights demise.

I still tend to want to look at the whole thing only from a distance so far. I think there is no real reason why they can't drop us just like Microsoft, and with just about as much warning.

If LM has long-term support contracts for any of their big customers using Prepar3D, they don't have the option to simply abandon the platform. They could close it to individual users, sure, but there would be little point in that. The more users, the better insight they get into needed improvements. This is why MS gives away Security Essentials, by the way... the consumer-installs feed usage and threat information back to MS, which makes their professional-installs better and more attractive to organizations, where the real money is to be made.

If they haven't gotten any big deals yet, though... yeah, it could potentially be dropped at any time. On the one hand, US defense contractors are being squeezed pretty hard right now (I work for one, but not LM), so they are looking to make cuts, and non-core business areas are likely targets for elimination. On the other hand, though, defense contractors are also seeing the need now to diversify their offerings and find new business areas with potential growth opportunities.

We will see.

Let's face it, out of all the sims we could possibly own, non are perfect.

Homage needs to be paid to FSX for what it did contain at it base level and for its expandability. Which has prolonged it's life but only because no serious contender has yet emerged. For all it's faults including having to open the hood fairly often to keep the engine turning over. I confess to spending many a happy hour flying it. Mostly at altitude on short haul passenger flights (jobs) which I still find fulfilling. When it behaves itself, which it does more often than not. But I still always breath a sigh of relief that I made it.

FSX is FSX, and when it all behaves it's a blessing. I generally have to devote a lot more time to FSX but that's because I fly for a VA and theirs a lot more stuff to set up. Personally, I tend to get far more immersed in FSX when I fly it at night. That's when I've had the most enjoyment from it.

FLIGHT always 'feels' good to me, the dawn and dusk settings are to die for, and I can lose the real world completely. I get engrossed and immersed. It's something that I've not had before. From the moment I take off I'm In the zone. I guess some of us get that from the other available sims and some of us get it from FLIGHT. I understand the feelings of some, because the future has been erased, that can be an overriding emotion and it overtakes and spoils what was previously enjoyed.

When people compare FLIGHT to FSX I do have to wonder though, because they are comparing a cruise ship with a rowing boat. Both float on water and you get different enjoyment from each. It takes a long time to build a cruise ship and longer to do it's many refits. The rowing boat could go where the cruise ship couldn't and it had the possibility of buying refits to turn it into one. I guess what we would all like is the best bits from the other contenders all rolled into one grand daddy sim. Dreams eh?

Like some here I'm sticking with FSX and the many add ons i have because for now there are no other viable alternatives that don't require a huge investment in both time and yet more money. So I stick with the enemy I know. Not because it's perfect...

...need I say more?

Yup. I read that and could almost see the great Guillotine in the sky glinting sharply overhead! (wonder if there will be time to rescue the cat before it chops off our typing fingers) :lol:

What a bunch of drama queens... :Whistle:

From a real pilot perspective, just like many of you, FLIGHT feels closer to real, in terms of FD, in terms of environment, than anything I tried before - period!

Ditto. Got my ticket back in '79

Homage needs to be paid to FSX for what it did contain

Oh No. Did they take something out of FSX while I was away at work today? Or is that what is DOES contain?

Like some here I'm sticking with FSX and the many add ons i have because for now there are no other viable alternatives that don't require a huge investment in both time and yet more money. So I stick with the enemy I know. Not because it's perfect...

...need I say more?

I think that describes the situation for many. We make the best of it as a community, but I suspect that if a viable modern alternative appeared, ready for sale, people would jump ship with record speed.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If you think Lockheed Martin has any interest in consumer-level/home flight simulation, I wish you a pleasant wait! Doesn't their license preclude that anyway?

There is no wait !

LM will take your money just as quickly as MS did !

Download it, install it and away you go.

Simple as that.

(MS did not call to your door to see if FSX was being used for educational purposes and I promise you that LM won't be calling to see if you are using P3D for entertainment purposes.)

Fred.

My FSX works like a charm. FSX and FLIGHT were started by the same people, and so both have the same core more or less.

I don't feel bad for FLIGHT, it is a brain dead game... I do feel bad that FLIGHT WAS going to be FS11 before the dark times... Before the Empire... screwed it up.

I don't think MSFS is dead at all... MS has to work out it's demons, and once that's over with... I can see a real Flight Sim on the way with lessons learned from the FLIGHT debacle. PRD3 can kiss my butt though. I want to buy the game, not keep pumping money into it like a utility bill... and have addons if I want, and the kind of addons I want, when I want them.

PRD3 can kiss my butt though. I want to buy the game, not keep pumping money into it like a utility bill... and have addons if I want, and the kind of addons I want, when I want them.

So buy it, and install what you want. Nobody is stopping you.

So buy it, and install what you want. Nobody is stopping you.

I did... my version is called FSX though. I don't understand "subscribing" to FSX, when you can buy it. Now if V2 is something completely different, I can see that.

Based on the general tone though perhaps they would prefer to shoot themselves in the foot?

Having read the interview ('they' in my quote above refers to sim-firms in general, or actually all those that seemed happy Flight was dying, my point being it wasn't good for any of us) it seems he was a lot more positive than I'd been led to believe by previous posts in this thread.

It transpires that he liked Flight, although thought it lacked features (ie brain dead'), and MS were a nightmare. No arguments from me with any of that.

3PDs were always going to be needed to keep Flight alive, MS should have known that before it was released, I think actually they did if you remember even Joshua Howard conceding it was on the cards albeit 1-2 years away, and certainly it now appears that was brought forward if they were talking in early July.

I just hope someone somewhere is at least trying to talk MS into resurrecting it.

I just hope someone somewhere is at least trying to talk MS into resurrecting it.

That would be nice. But somehow I do not think it is going to happen in our lifetime.

I did... my version is called FSX though. I don't understand "subscribing" to FSX, when you can buy it. Now if V2 is something completely different, I can see that.

Why do you feel you can only "subscribe" to P3D? :huh: You can just buy it.