Sign in to follow this  
JamesC

Navdata and flying offset RNAV approaches

G'day Ladies and Gents,

First up it is entirely possible I am completely confused here, and its also possible that this is a question for Navigraph. If so let me know.

I have been training using the VOZ 738 by flying the RNAV (GNSS) 32 approach into Hamilton Island (YBHM) using the chart data from Airservices Australia (http://www.airservic...BHMGN02-130.pdf) [i would post a picture of that plate but I think that is against copywrite].

This approach requires flight at a 10 degree offset from the runway (heading 304o) from the IAF (BHMSI @ 3900') to the FAF (BHMSF @ 2410'). So far so good. The approach plate then requires a further descent to MDA following 304o towards the MAPt (BHMSM). However the RNAV32 procedure from Navigraph (cycle 1207) does not include BHMSM and instead commands a turn towards a runway threshold fix after the FAF. MDA is listed as 910' so I am typically turning off automation at ~1300-1000'.

My question: Am I misinterpreting how to fly the approach from the charts vs the procedure as defined in an FMC equipped aircraft OR is this type of approach outside the scope of the Navigraph supplied formats and hence they have to program something different?

By following a direct track from the FAF to the runway using Navigraph format it means I have to turn left then right to line up, using the approach plat method I can get away with a gentle descending right turn onto final.

Like I said I’m happy to push this over to Navigraph is that is where the confusion lies but I wasn’t sure if I had misunderstood the way to actually fly this in the aircraft.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help/clarification.

Cheers

James C

The omission of the "M" fix is an error on the part of Navigraph/EAD. On most approaches, the "M" fix is co-located with the runway threshold so normally the "M" fix is displayed as "RW12" (or similar). This is not the case for this approach, but it seems they haven't adjusted appropriately.

The VAPAP link Ron posted should provide you with corrected data (it's manually produced by the author).

Also If you can get the coordinates of the missing fix you can manually add it to the navdata SID/STAR YBHM file yourself.

Thank-you very very much. I will give this a shot tonight but looking at the raw file I can see that this captures what was needed ... It also reassures me Im not going mad!!

Cheers and all the best,

James