Sign in to follow this  
JonRD463

Scenery suggestions?

I'm looking to start populating my X-world, and I was wondering if there are any stand-out sceneries that deserve checking out. I'm mainly interested in freeware at the moment, but payware suggestions are welcome, too. I'm thinking more in the way of detailed local areas, vs. say, an OSM conversion. I've got plenty of those right now. :D Just want to get some airports to fly to.

With time constraints, designing my own is out right now. I only have time to fly or create. Would rather fly at the moment.

Thanks!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

I cant give you the name of the site right now but the french one has some good things but a bit out of the way if you dont fly there.

Also check out the custom scenery folder already in xplane for all the addon airports that were made by aerosoft, there must be over a dozen in there now maybe 20. I have just started to try them out one by one.

I'm looking to start populating my X-world, and I was wondering if there are any stand-out sceneries that deserve checking out. I'm mainly interested in freeware at the moment, but payware suggestions are welcome, too. I'm thinking more in the way of detailed local areas, vs. say, an OSM conversion. I've got plenty of those right now. :D Just want to get some airports to fly to.

With time constraints, designing my own is out right now. I only have time to fly or create. Would rather fly at the moment.

Thanks!

I cant give you the name of the site right now but the french one has some good things but a bit out of the way if you dont fly there.

Also check out the custom scenery folder already in xplane for all the addon airports that were made by aerosoft, there must be over a dozen in there now maybe 20. I have just started to try them out one by one.

http://xpfr.org/

They're quite big, but definitely worth the download.

Thanks, guys.

Jason, I do like the larger Aerosoft ones, but I'm thinking more in the way of GA. I'll be doing a lot of GA flying in the near future, and will wait for the upcoming 777 before breaking out the big iron again.

I'll start looking into those French sceneries right away. Any recommendations for the Americas and perhaps the Caribbean?

EDIT-- Just wanted to add that I'd like to see some sort of repository for recommended sceneries for all users of X-Plane, particularly the newbies who are no doubt a little bewildered by the barren default world. Maybe this thread could serve as that kind of resource? Sort of what I had in mind, and not just for my own benefit.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Well, IMO there is only one scenery dev really worth considering and that's Orbx, well there probably are others but these guys the dogs doohdahs! The best scenery area to date IMO, from a performance point of view, is New Zealand, either north or south. The performance with the scenery is astonishing. I can fly anywhere on either islands with very dense autogen, all other sliders set at 100%, using the Realair Lancair and have my frames never drop below 30 locked in FSX! That to me is a result! As for simply beautiful scenery, then PNW and PFJ need some beating. As for their airports, they are simply fantatsic. The airports also come with a control panel which allows you to customise the scenery depending upon your system. If freeware is your thing and you're OK with photoscenery then check these guys out
Most of the scenery is 1M per pixel. As for the UK then UK2000 produce some equally impressive airports. Anyway, only a few suggestions, but I would highly suggest you download the free demo version of the scenery on the Orbx fullterrain site.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Rockliffe, I think you picked up this thread from the front page I am guessing.. It's in the xplane forum though :)

Thus the perils of the "Recently discussed forum topics" list...

I honestly thought it was a bad attempt at trolling before I considered that possibility.

Rockliffe, I think you picked up this thread from the front page I am guessing.. It's in the xplane forum though :)

Ah sheesh. Sorry guys. Sure, I picked it up form the front page. I will have to be more diligent in future :blush:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

France I think is certainly the best country in x-plane for 3rd party scenery, in terms of density at least. I've found it an excellent place for GA flying.

Other european destinations include Germany. A guy called blumenmann is populating a lot of airports there big and small to a good standard:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showuser=117226

UK is getting some attention - particularly in relation to military airfields. Check out dkm's files:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showuser=238423

Then also checkout Mercedes files for a variety of airfields in the UK and elsewhere

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showuser=53488

Norway's my favourite country, but apart from Stavanger (on the org), ENGM (good luck finding it) & ENRY (the good one has gone missing) other efforts are a bit thin on the ground and rather half hearted. A bit disappointing.

Elsewhere, Thailand gets some reasonable representation

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showuser=222867

Can't comment on the Americas though, but I'm sure it's well represented.

RealScenery Oahu (Hawaii) is very good! Really shows off the photoscenery capabilities of X-Plane when compared to the MSFS series - what really struck me was the complete lack of blurries in X-Plane that were ever present in every version of MSFS when looking anywhere other than directly under the aircraft!

I've just combined it with some OpenStreetMap data I converted using OSM2XP and the result is amazing! It's better in my eyes than anything I've seen in MSFS. It's a little bit of extra work, but is actually remarkably easy. I didn't go into editing any OSM data, I just downloaded the Hawaii data file from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ and ran it through OSM2XP. Really compliments the photoscenery to have some buildings and 3D trees planted on top!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I agree with Tom, Oahu is fantastic stuff! especially when combined with OSM.

Rob

I've just combined it with some OpenStreetMap data I converted using OSM2XP and the result is amazing! It's better in my eyes than anything I've seen in MSFS. It's a little bit of extra work, but is actually remarkably easy. I didn't go into editing any OSM data, I just downloaded the Hawaii data file from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ and ran it through OSM2XP. Really compliments the photoscenery to have some buildings and 3D trees planted on top!

Confirmed here to...

I am becoming a fan(atic) of xplane10... 1st of, beta6 is running smooth as silk, then a friend who took some time with OSM, osm2xp (latest version) and playing with the PBF files was able to get what we can call simply the most realistic and gorgeous scenery for Portugal, and Lisbon in particular, that can be experienced in any flightsim :-)

There is indeed a huge difference between highly detailed sceneries in xplane vs MSFS, I have to agree. Also, even by default the way things are depicted in xplane10 easily outperforms any non detailed area in FSX. Add to this the fact that xplane runs a lot smoother, and I have a winner... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

the fact that xplane runs a lot smoother

Ain't that the whole truth!!!

So far, nothing out there compares to XP9 or XPX in terms of smoothnes and the lack of blurries, these are the two reasons I moved away from FS9, FSX.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

So far, nothing out there compares to XP9 or XPX in terms of smoothnes

I agree!

A little self promotion (HD Mesh Scenery and treelins + farms for Europe and USA):

Thx for the link ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...