Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

AOTD - Kamuela and Upolu VORs intersection...

Today's Aerocache is a little more demanding than recent aerocaches, which is a good sign for me :-)

There is only a little problem. The hint reads - Tune Nav1 113.3 on the 142 radial, and Nav2 112.3 on the 124 radial... If you plot it on a map you'll

easily glimpse the radial for Nav1 is reciprocal, so, it's a lot easier if you use:

113.3 radial 322 (= 142 + 180)

112.3 radial 124

;-)

Get it guys! It's worth 5000XP!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I seem to have this one already, it must be a repeat...

I prefer these VOR radial areocaches than the easier ones found at the end of runways.

Keep 'em coming I love 'em.

:P

Blackrat

Nice post, that makes it easier to find as with the given headings flying FROM the MUE VOR, the instrument will give you backwards feedback.

The headings do depend on where you are coming from. I flew in from Hilo Int. on direct course to MUE Kamuela and from there outbound on course 322. This meant I had to set the TO heading of 304 for the UPP Upolo Point VOR. Edit: On second thought, I might have done this wrong, haha. I got there though :blush:

Good thing the VORs are close together because it would have been hard to find in the giant cloud that hangs ominously above the mountain at Pu'u Omi reserve. My four passengers were already getting a little unruly in the back as they weren't accustomed to flying in these weather conditions and they were very eager to get to Kona Int. I fear the little detour will go straight from my own paycheck if the boss finds out :P

Good thing the VORs are close together because it would have been hard to find in the giant cloud that hangs ominously above the mountain at Pu'u Omi reserve. My four passengers were already getting a little unruly in the back as they weren't accustomed to flying in these weather conditions and they were very eager to get to Kona Int. I fear the little detour will go straight from my own paycheck if the boss finds out

How's your Pax Level of satisfaction these days? ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I tried asking them but I don't think they could hear me over the screaming :rolleyes: Next time I'm wearing a hooded anorak so I don't get all the flying bits in my neck...

Hi,

It seems very likely that the clue was written by a real world pilot. I'm not, but am somewhat familiar with using a nav plotter and aeronautical charts. I made a couple of scans which may help to clarify things. Note in the plotter scan the words "COURSE ARROW". With the plotter properly positioned over the chart you simply note the direction of interest. I'm not qualified to comment further but I feel certain that full use instructions are available somewhere.

Here's the plotter scan:

506Plotter4.jpg

Here are the only instructions included with the plotter for determining the true course between VORs. Other uses can be easily extrapolated.

509Nav_Plot_Instuctions.jpg

Hope this is of some help in clarifying things. Any discussion of radials and the like, while important to know, are pretty academic for real world situations.

Jim F.

Jim F.

I still have one of those from my course in 1980 !!!! :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Actually, that just about is the full "use" instructions for a plotter. :lol:

If you put the grommet in the middle of the disc right over the VOR, you can not only get your bearing (aligning the disc with the VOR station's 0° line saves you from fooling with MagVar corrections) you can also get your range from the distance scale (assuming you are using a WAC or Sectional, or some other chart to the same scales).

You know what took me a while to figure out? And wouldn't have taken me as long had a REALLY read the VOR tutorial in the tutorial section?

the TOWARDS arrow doesn't mean you are heading towards the VOR station, it means you are heading towards the set VOR radial of the tuned station. This is important, I can't help but think that there are other newbies out there like myself making the same mistake. (likewise with the AWAY arrow)

Unless I'm mistaken.

Hi matt,

I've been mystified by what's been the source of confusion regarding VORs and Nav radios. Here's my latest guess.

The NAV radio, when tuned to the VOR's frequency and the needle is centered, says nothing about which way the aircraft is heading.

It tells you the direction you would have to fly in order to go either directly to or away from the VOR.

I suspect that people have been assuming that the aircraft's current heading somehow enters into the equation.

Just a guess.

Jim F.