Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Landing Light "Blobs"

I may well have asked this question before, but any answer will have been lost in a rapidly expanding sea of posts......

Does anyone know how to solve the "landing light blob" problem exhibited by planes in FSX? I am specifically referring to the landing lights on AI planes, since I stay within the confines of my own VC at all times during flights. The "blob" looks ridiculous, and I would like to get rid of it!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yea, i had the same problem, like many others as well. I think i got it fixed now. You should look for the fsx_lights.zip (by Michael Swannick) fix in the download section of AVSim. It contains a new halo.bmp with smaller lights amongst a few other files as well. Back-up your current ones just to be safe.

You can see the difference when opening the halo.bmp's in Paint/photoshop/IE. All the lights in FSX are using this file i think, so it will effect other lights as well. There are four entries in the fsx.cfg for adjusting the size of the different airport/runway lights, so you could use those to experiment with different sizes (VASI, approach lights ...) I dont think there is a seperate setting for the AI landing lights, so try and see if the fsx_lights.zip works for you.

I use 3d lights redux as i find they scale better at distance and they do look nice, it is payware but i do think its well worth the money as the aircraft and airports look great at night :)

http://www.a2asimula...hockwavelights/

Gandy:

Just how are you applying the 3D lights to AI aircraft? Are you replacing the landing lights on each individual AI aircraft?

Gandy:

Just how are you applying the 3D lights to AI aircraft? Are you replacing the landing lights on each individual AI aircraft?

I dont have all the ai set up but 3d lights adds its own halo.bmp so the texture is replaced and the landing lights look better.

Shane, thanks for the link as im sure that will come in handy as i do have UT2 :)

-Paul-

Does REX2 have an option for landing lights? I have that installed....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Gandy:

Where do you find this "halo.bmp" in the 3D Shockwave Redux program? I have the program installed and noticed no difference at all in the size of the light blobs.

Correct. But how do you know it came from 3D? Where do you see/find this file in the 3D program?

its the base texture for the light before it does the 3d light effect. The stock halo.bmp has different colours on it. When you install 3d lights, if you dont set it up for a 3rd party addon it will still change the light effect texture even though there is no 3d effect

-Paul-