Sign in to follow this  
FirstOfficera320

Overclocking and room heating

Hello,

Ever since I moved to an appartment on the 3rd floor. I've had problems with the temperature in the computer/bedroom. I know there are differences bewteen 3rd floor and my previews basement which was about 21C all year around. Both with computer on and off.

Now it's different. Ambient about 23C with computer off. turning it on and it rises to about 25-26C. It may not sound like the worlds biggest problem, but it is slightly annoying. Especially in the summer. Computer heating up the room and thus the CPU gets hotter.

Right now I'm using aircooling, but I've been thinking going full water cooling with as big a radiator I can get. The theory is I can delay the room heating for as long as possible. And to keep it quiet.

Has anyone had similar experience? or can someone offer thoughts on my problem. My, tech savvy friend, says watercooling is worse than aircooling when it comes to room heating.

Thanks

Has anyone had similar experience? or can someone offer thoughts on my problem. My, tech savvy friend, says watercooling is worse than aircooling when it comes to room heating

Obviously, the better the cooling the more heat is transfered from the CPU to the room air. Eventually, if you can't get the hot air out of the room, you'll lose some cooling performance. Not much probably, but your main concern should be to get fresh air in that room somehow

Obviously, the better the cooling the more heat is transfered from the CPU to the room air. Eventually, if you can't get the hot air out of the room, you'll lose some cooling performance. Not much probably, but your main concern should be to get fresh air in that room somehow

I get that and it's also why I think watercooling is better, because it takes longer for the water to heat up. Also, in my mind, it takes longer for the ambient air to get heatet up using water than regular air cooling. I've been thinking of a 3x3 passive radiator mounted externaly of the case. Then cooling of the CPU,GPU and Vreg's.

Also note that I have some very heatproducing components. namely the old i7 and the nvidia 470.

nvidia 470

then just replace this with a 660 or 660Ti. That gpu is heating up your room a lot more than the CPU for sure.

With one of those Kepler cards you won't even need crazy cooling solutions like triple rads and stuff

then just replace this with a 660 or 660Ti. That gpu is heating up your room a lot more than the CPU for sure.

With one of those Kepler cards you won't even need crazy cooling solutions like triple rads and stuff

This is a good suggestion. Especially since the GPU exhausts hot air directly out the back of the case and into the room whereas the CPU likely does not, in your current configuration.

My 580 will heat my room up to about 82 farenheit after a session of cloud surfing.

Hello,

Ever since I moved to an appartment on the 3rd floor. I've had problems with the temperature in the computer/bedroom. I know there are differences bewteen 3rd floor and my previews basement which was about 21C all year around. Both with computer on and off.

Now it's different. Ambient about 23C with computer off. turning it on and it rises to about 25-26C. It may not sound like the worlds biggest problem, but it is slightly annoying. Especially in the summer. Computer heating up the room and thus the CPU gets hotter.

Right now I'm using aircooling, but I've been thinking going full water cooling with as big a radiator I can get. The theory is I can delay the room heating for as long as possible. And to keep it quiet.

Has anyone had similar experience? or can someone offer thoughts on my problem. My, tech savvy friend, says watercooling is worse than aircooling when it comes to room heating.

Thanks

I'm in a warm climate, and this solution takes care of the whole shootin' match:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/375345-some-comments-on-3770k-cooling-w-noctua-nh-d14/#entry2381499

Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I keep a window unit in my computer room as I'm running two computers for my sim and it will cook a room. Usually try to keep it at 70F. Winter, in a northern climate, there are times I have no heat and have had to keep a window open to maintain temps at 70F. using a liquid CPU cooler and a 580 will pump out the heat. 37C when operating FSX.

Change that GTX470 to something a bit more energy efficient to start with. I have the same card and it is an excellent room heater when you crank up the AA =) It's a noisy bugger as well. But I got it for cheaper than what the GTX560 are selling for today, and that was almost 2 years ago. So apart from the heat and noise its provided good bang for the buck. But I suspect it will be replaced soon with something cooler and quieter.