Sign in to follow this  
Darth Mop

10fps with FSX using "new" hardware?

Hi guys,

I just received my computer back from an upgrade, I bought a new MB so I could use both of my videocards since my old MB had only one slot and also bought a new CPU cooler so I can overclock it, so my system is as following:

Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40 (OC'd to 5.15 currently)

GTX 590 and GTX 580

8GB DDR RAM

Asus P8Z77-V

the thing is, when I configured my system, I had only the GF580, everyone was speaking of the 590 and how great that card is, so I spend 800euros into the 590, but had to remove the 580, since I had only one slot, after receiving my computer with the new MB, cooler and both GFX cards running together I tested FSX, surprisingly, I didn't get higher fps, still something around 11-13 fps, no change at all - it seems to me that FSX is not using both cards but only one (the primary card being the 590, since the guys who did the job for me, told me that it would be better to use the 580 as a physX card). Finally I overclocked my CPU from 3.40 to a stable 5.15GHz. Again, no difference at all! with Aerosoft's PANC and the PMDG NGX being a really fps killer to me, I asked in a german forum, and a guy posted a screenshot showing 30-40fps with a similiar system. the cost of my computer reached somehow the 3.500 euro mark and I have absolutly no clue how to get out more fps, while I have seen videos of people who have a slower machine, but really get out 50fps

should I find a wizard or what do you recommend?

Have you deleted your FSX.cfg file and started over using the tweak guide stickied at the top of this forum? I would suggest doing so, that will almost certainly solve your problem as it sounds like the system is just not configured correctly.

Delete you FSX.CFG, re-install neccesary drivers, and follow Word Not Allowed's Hardware and Software Guide.

Looks to me like it's all very easy to explain.

1.- Whoever told you the GTX590 is a great card is clueless. It's one of the biggest GPU flops ever. It's like 2 GTX560 in SLI for twice the price

2.- FSX can't take advantage of dual cards like that 590, so you have the same performance as if you had a single GTX560

3.- FSX is CPU bound, so GPU upgrades won't give you more performance

4.- I hope you play other games that support physics, cause FSX doesn't

5.- A GTX580 just for physics is a massive waste

6.- If FSX is CPU bound, why didn't OCing the CPU help? because having both cards installed you have downgraded both slots from x16 to x8, creating a PCIe bottleneck that renders you overclock useless

So remove that GTX590 and sell it while it's worth something and use the 580 alone. You should see a perf boost right away.

Then check the pinned topic in this same boards with Word Not Allowed's tweaking guide and try the suggested settings

lesson learned. Just throwing parts at FSX is only part of the equation and does not guarantee performance out of the box. I'm no expert but I don't understand the two different and separate GPU's.That could kill performance more than ever helping. If I were going to run two GPU's, and I'm not, it would be 580's SLI? Oops, Dazz worded it better. :)

5.15 ghz WOW :shok:

Looks to me like it's all very easy to explain.

1.- Whoever told you the GTX590 is a great card is clueless. It's one of the biggest GPU flops ever. It's like 2 GTX560 in SLI for twice the price

2.- FSX can't take advantage of dual cards like that 590, so you have the same performance as if you had a single GTX560

3.- FSX is CPU bound, so GPU upgrades won't give you more performance

4.- I hope you play other games that support physics, cause FSX doesn't

5.- A GTX580 just for physics is a massive waste

6.- If FSX is CPU bound, why didn't OCing the CPU help? because having both cards installed you have downgraded both slots from x16 to x8, creating a PCIe bottleneck that renders you overclock useless

So remove that GTX590 and sell it while it's worth something and use the 580 alone. You should see a perf boost right away.

Then check the pinned topic in this same boards with Word Not Allowed's tweaking guide and try the suggested settings

thanks, it seems like that one of the cards is really useless, I wil try the pinned topic and deleting fsx.cfg :(

By the way, how did you go about OCing to 5.15GHz? did you mess with the BCLK? have you tested stability? What's your Vcore & temps like for such massive clocks? what cooling are you using?

I don't want to sound condescending, but just in case

I don't know what BCLK is, I just used a youtube video as reference since I never had done overclocking before, it works stabel though, I have a very big cooler by "be quiet!" don't know the model though I just gave the guys in the computer shop my system and they did the rest, the temperature is around 31C, before OC'in I had somewhat around 21-23C

That overclock is likely going to come around and bite you in the &@($*. At 5.15GHz the BCLK is not at stock 100MHz as it should be.

You should take some time to learn how to overclock properly, how to test stability, monitor temps and Vcore. it's really not that hard

I just used a youtube video as reference since I never had done overclocking before

This worries me a bit. I didn't have experience overclocking before this system but you need to do your research to make sure you are testing your system etc as the components/build of the persons system making that video could be significantly different from yours.

Did you stress test the system at all? i.e. using Prime or Intel Burn Test?

What are you using to measure temps? I would suggest RealTemp or AIDA64. That 31*C would be at idle, there's no way your temps at full load would be that low.

I'm thinking your CPU may be overheating and throttling back to save itself from spontaneous combustion!

As for the other comments, listen to what has been said about the Graphics Cards. Get rid of that 590 and just keep the 580.

If you need some help checking your temps etc I'm sure we can help.

Someone smell something... Toasty?

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: LOL!!

here is a shot of my most favourite FS combi: Anchorage and NGX:

was that after removing the 590? can you post your complete FSX settings?