Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

Linux and Win 2000 on the same system?

Guest Dominik Mann

This wekend my dad brought me a self-running Linux trial CD which I will probably dig into during the next few days. In fact, reading up about Linux I've been thinking about whether I should take the plunge and set up my system to host both Windows 2000 (which I am running now) in order to ensure compatibility with my games and SuSE Linux 8.2 (to be released on April 10th) in dual-boot mode.I know this is a pretty technical question, but do any of you know whether this can be done? I also have Partition Magic 7, with which I could create a Linux partition beforehand (though I would have to re-size my existing NTFS partitions for this).Cheers,

Guest Matt Johnson

Works very well, I have the same setup here. Use PM7 to resize your NTFS partition down, leaving some free (unpartitioned) space on the disk. The installer for whichever Linux you eventually choose will allow you to "do the right thing" with this space.--M

Guest Dominik Mann

Thanks, Matt, that's good to know :D . Do you use a 3rd party boot manager, or will I be offered to choose which OS to run on each boot-up automatically?

Guest Matt Johnson

Use LILO or GRUB, whichever your Linux offers. It'll handle booting both Linux and Win2k perfectly fine, and either are safe to put in your primary MBR. Personally I use LILO here.--M

Guest Dominik Mann

I believe SuSE build 8.2 comes with GRUB - at least I've seen a few screenshots showing the YaST installer where GRUB was mentioned.