Sign in to follow this  
FlyingRustBucket

What did i expect from Flight and what do i expect from a sim

FSX is sort of an ideal sim for me. It has anything i want from a sim. most of all i love the incentive it gives you to progress. Missions for example pit you against possible real life scenarios that you have to face in a realistic manner even if the game had its quirks at the realism part(still though it is not a child's play). Also the UI was very usable. the only drawbacks it has are its awful technical issues, delays, bugs, glitches that need some work arounds.

with Flight i expected, well, more! I expected it to be more beautiful. more refined, with all sorts of secrets(like hidden and unlockable planes for example) and goodies, feature rich with a career mode even. the only thing that gets close to describing it is the grand turismo of flight sims.

what i got was just a grindfest with the same missions\challenges over and over and a lack of content that drove me nuts! just 2 hours into Flight and the game has given me averything it has, and no, i will not buy extra content. I prefer my games to be full.

Physics are not realistic enough to promote experimantation, and missions can get fairly repetetive.

People do not understand when i tell them this. they all go "get X-plane/P3D" or "sims are not for you get flight". I don't want X-plane because its UI's Bad and there is no progression. Its plainly a simulator. P3D on the otherhand is STRICLY business, specialy made for professional use and costs a lot. Flight? well, its lack of content and repetetivenes are overwhelming and its NOT REALISTIC ENOUGH. I want realism that will take my joystick and smash it on my head, what part of this people don't understnd?

I think you can feel happy and fulfilled in your expectations with FSX Gold. If you can invest on the best add-ons, and you have a powerful rig, you're in paradise.

I was not satisfied enough when I recently re-installed it, so, FLIGHT is still my #1 sim, with XplaneX playing "Sim of the Week"... It has potential to last pass a week, I'm not sure yet... FLIGHT OTOH will be here forever unless something worth the skip happens (and I hope something happens, really....).

Having spent some time "destroying" the pak files that came with it I began to discover why it's physics feel so good... And there was still a whole World to discover.... Weather, ATC, Scenery, Missions.... well...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

FSX is sort of an ideal sim for me. It has anything i want from a sim ..... the only drawbacks it has are its awful technical issues, delays, bugs, glitches that need some work arounds.

I don't want X-plane because its UI's Bad and there is no progression. Its plainly a simulator .... I want realism that will take my joystick and smash it on my head, what part of this people don't understnd?

FSX has all that you want from a simulator despite its awful technical issues, delays, bugs etc. Hm .... interesting to say the least :unsure:

And X-Plane is plainly a simulator which appears to be what you are looking for but it still doesn't satisy you. Again, hm .... :unsure:

I'm not sure if you are even sure of what you want B)

David

Most of all, I want realistic flight dynamics and good looking environment. After that I want things like functional navigation tools.

There's more, but those are my first priorities.

Flight has those.

Only wish they had kept developing it.

ost of all, I want realistic flight dynamics and good looking environment. After that I want things like functional navigation tools.

Looking for the Holy Grail and we got the Holy Hand Grenade.

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

[At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]

... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

I flew in flight a day or so ago and it was very interesting. Within a few minutes a full room of 16 people had gathered, and just as before, it seemed mostly young people, eager and asking questions. :(

How do you use the the flaps, and why? How do you you slow the plane? How can you change the pitch........

It went on and on. New users; new potential simmers, and they were eagerly exploring a world that had no future. In fact, according to some here, they themselves do not exist, as they are members of a new market many do not believe is real.

All I expected from flight was that it be fun, and create a foundation on which something new could grow. Hopefully a foundation for a new generation of simmers. Now I just hope against hope that sometime in the future, at least some small part of that potential finds its way back into active development.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Most of all, I want realistic flight dynamics and good looking environment. After that I want things like functional navigation tools.

Flight has those.

+1

FSX has all that you want from a simulator despite its awful technical issues, delays, bugs etc. Hm .... interesting to say the least :unsure:

And X-Plane is plainly a simulator which appears to be what you are looking for but it still doesn't satisy you. Again, hm .... :unsure:

I'm not sure if you are even sure of what you want B)

David

Let me clarify. FSX is ideal despite having issues that i have to tolarate if i can't fix. X-plane is missing the things i want. Yes it is realistic, but the User Interface require a lot of work(i know, i played the demo) and theres a lack of game like features. for instance FSX has its missions and challenges. X-plane has nothing on this subject. Simply put i like features found on games in a hardcore flight sim. FSX has its issues, but its still a fairly realistic sim that can give you a bang for your buck.

Flight has those.

unfortunately i disagree with "flight has those". Indeed flight is very user friendly, but i cant say that its hardcore friendly. It is realistic up to a point, but it stays on the safe forgiving path. i really tried to overstress the aircraft, but no, and there seems to be no way to go into an uncontrolable spin. and beyond that, no AI, no ships or cars yada yada yada thinks that had been said a hundred times over. The best would be to take the good of FSX and Flight and add them together.

unfortunately i disagree

and I disagree with your sentiment but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I would submit that this forum is for advocates of Flight and I am not sure what any of this is doing to add to my knowledge of the game, or of actual aviation or navigation.....and I have no interest in ANOTHER thread where a a few people talk about why they don't like Flight, or a thread comparing the pros and cons of various sims. It's not metacritic. Absolutely no offense intended.

I would submit that this forum is for advocates of Flight and I am not sure what any of this is doing to add to my knowledge of the game,

+1

I am with you there.