Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

The dangers of density altitude

If he didn't go into those trees, He would have eventually gone into the side of the mountains ahead of him. He never gained enough altitude to attempt to turn the aircraft around.

Fr.Bill is correct, should have aborted when he had the chance, the trip was too important to them I guess.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

But what the heck is one doing on the iPad before impact? 'Remove hardware device'? :o

If he didn't go into those trees, He would have eventually gone into the side of the mountains ahead of him. He never gained enough altitude to attempt to turn the aircraft around.

Not that many near mountains from this view.75005971.jpg

My guess is that the time to actively decide what to do is running out just after leaving the huge area in front of him, without obstacles in tree size. After that point, the plane flies the pilot, so to speak. He only reacts (or not, in regard to the iPad), but there's no real chance of operating anymore, reaching the one end of that flight envelope and running out of options.

As the other folks have pointed it out. That chain was already set up, one now has to break it. That sounds so easy, it obviously isn't. He has tried to fly some 3 minutes, some of them just focusing on avoiding something which he can't avoid.

I guess only a detailed report will show good and reliable data to judge from. I doubt that they perform one of those on these kind of accidents though. However, the chain of events itself is the alarming stuff, as always.

I don't blame anybody for actually crashing, I can't fly planes myself. But I do question folks in charge of deciding about this and that when holding a license to be allowed to do so.

But what the heck is one doing on the iPad before impact? 'Remove hardware device'? :o

Maybe he was trying to Twitter an SOS.....LOL

Matthew Kane

:lol: And had problems with the auto correct.

goohz.jpg

Well, I have to be fair. I don't know what he did. I just see that he did something and I can't imagine what it could have been. :unsure: It surely wasn't the only thing being a bit off, just in case anyone reads it like that.

the pilot was doing something on his iPad just before hitting the trees.

Probably Density Altitude calculations.

:LMAO: Good one. It's the thought that counts. :ph34r:

I think it is time for him to retire from Aviation.

Matthew Kane

I think it is time for him to retire from Aviation.

I think Darwin has been trying, but this guy is one tough nut to crack!

I think Darwin has been trying, but this guy is one tough nut to crack!

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Ró.

+1 LOL

Matthew Kane

Also, he had several minutes after "takeoff" where there was plenty of open ground on which to attempt a landing...

...long before he reached the treeline! It was quite obvious by then that the a/c was barely out of ground effect, so again... it's truly some bizzare thinking going on. :blush:

I've been more than amazed at the bizarre thoughts some pilots will act on. I can also say that it's usually a specific personality type that is involved in such incidents. Typically unstable in some way, shape, or form. I do not know the pilot in the video; perhaps it was a one time mistake.

I'm very glad no one was too seriously injured outside of the pilot's broken jaw. A happy ending to a definitely disturbing video.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

This is a famous one where the results did not work out with a stall/spin two fatalities. Very sad to watch.

http://www.liveleak....=316_1249535759

And that one is spooky. The tape wasn't found until years after the crash.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Fr.Bill is correct, should have aborted when he had the chance, the trip was too important to them I guess.

They were hungry! They were enroute to go eat, then later return for more hiking. They didn't even get the $100,000 hamburger... :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator