Sign in to follow this  
ferrari308guy

Leg Winds Question

Hi all-

Ever since I first purchased the NGX, I've noticed that I am not able to input winds aloft data for every waypiont along my route. I looked through the NGX manual, but couldn't find anything that mentioned this occurance. I also talked to a friend who also flies the NGX, and he said he couldn't recall ever seeing this restriction occur when he was inputting wind data. As far as I can tell, there's no ryhme or reason as to which waypoints I can enter wind data for. At first, I thought it had something to do with the SID/STAR that I was flying, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is this normal, and if it is, could someone please explain it or refer me to a location with more information?

A screenshot is attached that illustrates what I'm talking about. During this flight, I was going PAJN-PANC via CUSHI4 CUSHI MUIRR ALATY JOH FROZN2. As you can see, the FMC would only let me input winds for two waypoints on my route.

Thanks,

Phil Coyle

Phil Coyle - FlightSimCon Event Organizer

phil@flightsimcon.com

da935.png

Winds aloft can only be input after top of climb (TOC) for the cruise segment. That said, I would strongly advise entering descent forcast winds, along with the transition altitude, ISA deviation and QNH AND planned anti-ice usage on the descent forecast page. Doing this on each flight will result in astonishing accuracy (even in VNAV descents) leading to the (very satisfying) L/VNAV descent to Loc/GS intercept. The NGX performs accurately enough to be within a few hundred (or less) kilos on each flight when compared to RW flight plans. An incredible feat of programming :)

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Yep as mentioned by Carl above,

criuse portion of the flight, so in your pic only those two waypoints were calculated to be in the cruise segment, go to descent forcast for descent portion (more important than RTE DATA).

I've found that in most cases (in the sim), even without the winds on the legs, it's really accurate with the overall wind average on the INIT page. The leg times might be off, but the overall flight time is pretty accurate.

Then again, there's no harm in killing time entering them while you're at cruise if you want.

Kyle Rodgers