Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Extended Runway Centre line

I have mastered most area's of this brilliant aircraft, but for the life of me can't figure out how to set up a waypoint on the extended runway centre line of say 12 miles.

Any help appreciated.

Glen

Glen

I have mastered most area's of this brilliant aircraft, but for the life of me can't figure out how to set up a waypoint on the extended runway centre line of say 12 miles.

Tutorial 2 explains how to do this (albeit with a slight correction from a forum sticky here).

Basically, when you're going to select an approach on the DEP/ARR page, you don't select an approach, rather just a runway (the last ones listed are just runway numbers). When you select just a runway, it will give you the option to enter in an extended centerline distance, and slope (in the case it's not the standard 3 degrees).

Kyle Rodgers

What Kyle said,

You can also enter extra waypoints along the set rwy extension also if you wish, LSK the rwy (eg RW09L) into the scratchpad and add the distance (eg RW09L/-10 for 10 nm before the runway, RW09L/-5 for 5 etc). Make sure you use the Line Select Key for the rwy name and not manually write it out or it wont work.

Kyle, Jay

Many thanks for your help :smile:

Glen

Glen

DO you mean setting up a departure waypoint? If that is the case in the FMC go to the "LEGS" page and type in the following - assuming let's say that you are leaving on Runway 34 at Sydney which has a heading of 335 degrees.

YSSY335/6

this will set up a waypoint on your scratch pad that is now placed at 6nm on the runway heading.

Paste into Line 1, remove any discontinuities and exec it,

hope it helps.

Gerry

You can also enter extra waypoints along the set rwy extension also if you wish, LSK the rwy (eg RW09L) into the scratchpad and add the distance (eg RW09L/-10 for 10 nm before the runway, RW09L/-5 for 5 etc). Make sure you use the Line Select Key for the rwy name and not manually write it out or it wont work.

I have just tried what Jay said above to enter a LOC intercept point at 15 miles from the Runway at Cardiff by line selecting RW30 then adding /-15 i.e. RW30/-15 but when I try and add it before the runway it says 'Invalid Entry' - why ? I need to use an ILS so I can't use Kyle's method.

Any ideas ?

Glen

Glen

If you have fixes that come between the RW and the fix you created, the box won't like it.

Matt Cee

If you just click on the runway, not an instrument procedure, in ARR page in FMC, you will be able to define a "FAF" of sorts, by inputting desired centerline extension, and descend angle. You can use this...

I did have a FAF along the LOC C/L so I deleted it and entered RW30/-15 but it was positioned in a straight line between the last waypoint and the centre of the runway, not along the extended centre line ?

I seem to remember you can use the ILS identifier, in this case I-CWA but that didn't work either ( ICWA/-15 ). I know I can use the ICAO EGFF120/-15 but I'm sure there is a way to use the runway with an ILS approach selected in the FMC.

Glen

Try ICWA119/15. Or just fly the damn approach as published ;)

(well either that, or use the extended centerline depiction and position yourself in a proper place by flying in HDG mode)

Try ICWA119/15

That seems to work Peter thanks.

At least its using the runway as a datum rather than the airfield or a radio beacon. I new there had to be some way to position a waypoint on the actual runway centerline when an ILS runway was selected in the FMC.

Thanks again

Glen

Glen

Sometimes, you really just need to stop, and think it over from the basics... We have a saying in my language, "He could not see the forest because of the trees". You fixated needlesly on the /-15 (which was never right for you in the first place - since it is only meant to create waypoint along preexisting route) and forgot about the possibility to make a simple PBD waypoint. Picking the ILS as a reference point was the easy part. Maybe runway would be even marginally better, but I am not sure if that would work.

Line select a fix on the approach to the scratch pad then up to 1 left. Then enter the final approach course in the scratch pad and select it to 6 right and exeucute. Dont do this unless on vectors. This will give you a nice extension of the rwy centerline.