Sign in to follow this  
dburne

At least I still have... The Maule

I can't help but see the irony in this.

When I first got Flight, the week it was released, I really liked flying the RV6 - and then soon after fell in love with the Stearman. I very much enjoyed flying the challenges with each of these, and flying hamburger runs with the RV, and biplane tours with the Stearman.

I was having a blast with those planes. In the meantime I tried out the Maule, and my initial impressions were - wow, what a pig this thing is.

Then I started playing around with some of the jobs, course not much I could do for these but select the Maule. So while I was getting into and liking flying jobs, I hated having to fly " the pig".

I mean seriously, it was a pain to take off when faced with a crosswind, a pain to land - I mean I cannot say how many of my early job flying landings resulted in unsatisfied passengers, due to the plane hitting the runway too hard. Some pretty critical comments by them as well. So while I disliked flying the Maule, I still found myself being attracted more and more to the jobs, it was becoming my favorite thing to do in Flight.

Then, things just started clicking with the Maule, from my repeatedly having to fly it, and assistance in the form of tips from folks on this fine forum. Before too long, I was able to land without my passengers screaming at me. I found a way to utilize my pedals and ailerons during those cross wind takeoffs, to at least keep me on the dang runway. I played around with ILS landings, toyed a little with VOR but still need to learn more about it, started using the checklist, etc.

So pretty soon, the Maule became my favorite airplane. I mean I just love flying the thing, and I get the absolute most enjoyment from flying it now, and have for quite some time. I now am able to absolutely just grease those landings in, without nary a grunt from the passengers.

I think the Flight Team did a fantastic job with this plane, and so wish there were more like it.

I just took a look at my hour stats, I have a total of app 175 hours in Flight, and of that - 125 spent flying the Maule. I never would have thought this, those first few weeks or so after Flight was released! Incredible.

So as long as the Flight servers remain, some machine somewhere is going to be logging ole dburn flying jobs in his beloved Maule, somewhere.

LOL

I still think its a piglet. Just a fairly nice example of piglets in general. (if you must have a piglet) :P

I admit my new-found dislike of tail draggers would probably be lessened if I had track IR, though.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I admit new-found my dislike of tail draggers would probably be lessened if I had track IR, though.

Indeed, before they added support for Track IR, I had the eyepoint movements assigned to a hat switch on my joystick, so I could quickly and easily move it around as I needed for takeoff and landing. But now with Track IR support, it is almost just second nature to move my head around to adjust my view as needed.

I admit my new-found dislike of tail draggers would probably be lessened if I had track IR, though.

I hate tail draggers... without TrackIR. I only slightly dislike them with TrackIR. ^_^

The Maule is great, I really like it for the jobs. The negative flap settings, just as we have in some gliders, contributes to a considerable reduction of induced drag, and is great for fast cruising.

It is also the only aircraft we have with a very convenient Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) :-)

When I installed FSX Gold I rushed testing it's Maule. I must confess it was nice to revisit that particular FSX model. The prop bug, at least is not there, meaning you really will see your speed drop, as well as your nose (as it should allways...) if you reduce RPM while climbing, contrarily to the weird effect introduced in FLIGHT's Maule...

It is also an FPS-friendly aircraft in FSX :-)

Looking for a nice Maule for Xplane10 now....

For Jobs, it is naturally FLIGHT's Maule I choose :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I really liked the Maule at first, and had used it a lot in FS X previously. But, I learned to like the Stearman. The airplane I flew the most was the RV though, perhaps because it is a fantasy airplane, something I would dream of having if I were a pilot.

The RV was my most used airplane ... right up until Alaska was released! Then, I immediately stopped using all other aircraft and concentrated on the Cub. I love Cubs. :biggrin: I didn't particularly care that it didn't have a working panel, which goes to show how much I love Cubs. :biggrin:

I have rarely touched the other airplanes since then, because the Cub is just too much fun to fly. I could never fit in the real thing because it's pretty tight in there for big guys, so Flight is my only opportunity to enjoy this wonderful airplane.

Best regards.

Luis

I also love the Cubby. It is what I fly most, even if it is slow, I just love it. With trackiR it is just fun to look around the corner on base and see the runway while in the turn to final. Pop full flaps and just settle down for a sqeaker, stick back tap the toe brakes and stop on a dime.

IMO,as a STOL aircraft, the Maule is near the top in its payload class, comparable to the Cessna 180 but behind the Helio Courier. It was my favorite in Flight until they released the Carbon Cub.

I have to say that in FSX I have never flown the Maule. In fact I wasn't even aware of its existence. This says things about the kind of planes I'm drawn to.

So it has surprised even me at how endearing I find the flying 'pig' to be. When I clamber into the cockpit I feel at home and it feels like a real workhorse totally dependable and sensible. Now it's one of my favourite planes.

When I got the RV though I was in heaven. Again it would not have been a plane I would have gone for. Now I can do things in it that amaze even me. It's just so much fun.

I would also never have brought the Cub, but within 5 min it is one of my favourites. For different reasons to the other two.

Flight has converted me to planes I never dreamt of flying and all three are completely different and enjoyable for their own qualities.

I've done the most hours in the RV and like @dburne I had trouble landing happy passengers in the Maule which I can do now. The Cub is still new and the Stearman I've still got to get to know fully. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it too just haven't flown it for long enough to love it yet.

What I won't do though is fly the Maule in FSX because I just 'know' that for me, it won't. Cut it like Flight does.

The Cub is great. It's almost like Flight's version of a glider, as another member already observed. Fly low, in with a high head wind. You can practically hover beside control towers.

The Maule is around 2500lb according to my research, and the Carbon Cub is only around 932lb. Just some food for thought.

Oh by the way....what causes the engine stall when I do barrel rolls, or bank/turn really really sharply, in the Cub? Something to so with the air intake I would assume.....

The Cub is great. It's almost like Flight's version of a glider, as another member already observed. Fly low, in with a high head wind. You can practically hover beside control towers.

The Maule is around 2500lb according to my research, and the Carbon Cub is only around 932lb. Just some food for thought.

Oh by the way....what causes the engine stall when I do barrel rolls, or bank/turn really really sharply, in the Cub? Something to so with the air intake I would assume.....

Fuel starvation... the cub does not have a fuel system tailored for aerobatics.

ok...I'll be the contrary one...i LOVE the Stearman! Yes, it may not be "useful" for much in Flight, but I've always liked taildraggers, rotary engines, and biplanes. The Stearman's design is so bleak and overpowering that it's beautiful (to me)...so when I fire up flight, it's Stearman time!

i LOVE the Stearman! Yes, it may not be "useful" for much in Flight, but I've always liked taildraggers, rotary engines, and biplanes.

I am with you there, it is certainly my second favorite plane!

Go figure, my two most favorite planes are taildraggers. The Stearman is a blast to fly for sure, to just knock around in and have fun with.

Had MS Flight team made this plane I am sure its sales would have rocketed:

http://en.wikipedia...._M-15_Belphegor

If I ever learn to do enough 3d modelling I will make this bird. Looks so unique. Wonder whose idea was to make jet agricultural plane that can actually fly slower than its propeller counterparts.

Had MS Flight team made this plane I am sure its sales would have rocketed:

Do it in xplane :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...