Sign in to follow this  
FlyDelta

FS9 HORRIBLE Quality! Help?

Hey guys,

I recently set up my new system and Ive got to say my oh my do i get FPS when i want them where I want them. But i noticed immmediately a small yet HUGE problem. The distant texture and scenery looks well... Ill let you judge. :( . All of my sliders are on max, Ive got everything checked and my frames locked at 25. My frames always saty there and the scenery underneath my plane is always GORGEOUS. But not this. Any way to improve this? I uploaded a picture so let me know that you guys can see it and help me out! :)

Thanks

Nico

Find these lines in FS9.cfg and change them to read:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.900000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

More details on these settings here:

http://205.252.250.2...?num=1308690620

and other posts on this AVSIM forum as well.

Hope this helps,

I did thos exact tweaks already. No apparent results? Does making the values ay higher help?

Thanks

Nico

I believe you need to enable anisotropic filtering on your video card, preferably at the 16X level.

That will clean it up.

Bert

"So my system is setup and run greats with all of my addons. Including my newest addition the Embraer 145XR, which for Regional flights I absolutely LOVE"

What happened between 4.00 and 7.32?

Have you installed anything in the meantime?

Barry

How can I do tthat?

Thanks

Nico

Did you get the video card you were looking for?

The video card driver typically comes with an app that

allows you to adjust the 3d settings.

Right click on the desk top, and go to Properties / Settings / Advanced / 3d or similar..

If you have a current level nvidia card, download the (free) nvidia inspector app

and set Antialiasing to 8XS and Anisotropic filtering to 16X for FS9.

That will give you great visuals.

Bert

I havent got my Nvidia yet sorry.

And Mondeoman Im not quite sure what you mean mate?

Nico, if you are currently running FS9 with a "on board" video processor it is quite likely unable to handle the work FS9 is needing it to do. Texture quality (appearance) is one of the things that get compromised if the GPU can not keep up with the texture loading. That is one thought anyway. Your PC Specs. show that FS9 should run very well otherwise. The only other explanation I can think of is that perhaps the tweaks to the FS9.cfg file are not being properly saved and utilized because of your W7 OS settings. You may wish to check in the "Windows Seven Dedicated Forum" for any information on UAC, permissions, and administrator settings in case you have not already covered those issues. (I'm a Luddite, I am still running XP!) I hope this helps you at least a little.

Regards,

Mel

I think you'll find it makes a big difference in visual quality.

Bert

And Mondeoman Im not quite sure what you mean mate?

On your previous topic "Canadair Regional Jet" you posted at 4.34 that your system was set up and running great. What changed?

Barry

On your previous topic "Canadair Regional Jet" you posted at 4.34 that your system was set up and running great. What changed?

Barry

Actually to be honest those scenery in the distance issue did not actually come along until about the second time I restarted my FS9. Maybe I will have to run out to get a graphics card. Thanks for your help!

Nico

I sympathize Nico. I am struggling, after three weeks now, to get my new PC to match my old setup. In some ways it is light years ahead, but in others it is inferior and unstable - it's driving me crazy. I don't think it's the PC - more likely Windows7 Professional 64 bit. But it has been an often disheartening experience. When it all works it is fantastic - so hopefully we will both get it right in the end... (Though Rafal, who we would all agree is one of the most experienced and competent simmers around, has been struggling with "blurries" on his new PC for six months!)

:(

Hi Nico,

In your options make sure you have "Extended terrain textures" checked, MIP mapping quality set to 4 and "Global max texture size" set to "Massive".

Also in your fs9.cfg modify TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS to read.

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000

Nico:

Definitely, if you're trying to run the graphics on your on-board GPU, you're going to have problems....the others above that mentioned getting a separate processing board are right on.

You'd also metioned that you're running a 64-bit version of Windows 7??

I worked in a Fortune 500 Corporation's IT shop for over 10 years until I just retired last year, and, if you want to know why almost nobody in the industrial/commercial-IT-space runs 64-bit laptops/desktops/tablets, there's a big reason:

Its inherently buggy!!

64-bit is still maturing...neither Windows nor the current crop of hardware out there is really 100%-64-bit, yet. Maybe another couple of years, but not now (it'll be YEARS especially if Microsoft's quality-control, or rather lack of it, keeps declining, i.e,. Windows 8 turns out to be son-of-Vista).

I know there's some simmers out there who are running 64-bit and will testify that its real stable, but, my own unscientific polling would indicate that they are in the 10% or less minority of all simmers.

My suggestion....switch to 32-bit Windows 7, if its at all feasible for you.