Sign in to follow this  
FlyDelta

FS9 HORRIBLE Quality! Help?

Now, that sounds like overkill... lots of flightsimmers use Win7-64 B)

Bert

lots of flightsimmers use Win7-64

And love it! Almost all of my FS9 add-ons made the transition to Win 7-64 smoothly, and other than the usual post-XP weirdness with menus and AA settings, I've found it to be an excellent platform for FS9.

John G.

Now, that sounds like overkill... lots of flightsimmers use Win7-64

Foolish to consider anything else! WOW. Are Fortune 500 companies running Flight Simulators gaming computers ? I know Lockheed Martin highly recommends 64bit Operating systems. FOR a FLIGHT SIMULATOR. :)

Gents:

Then, its a credit to each of your personnal IT skills that you've made 64-bit work.

Still, I know of lots of cases where it took, literally, months or more of seemingly endless tweek/tune/trial-and-error to get 64-bit to work in a stable/reliable manner.

I'm not saying its impossible to get 64-bit to be as stable/reliable as 32....just much more difficult for the "average" person to want to have to persevere with it.

I'm writing this on a 64 bit xt machine that I use for email only. My game box is 32-bit because of the difficultly I've had with getting 64-bit to be really stable/reliable.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur!!

I didn't mean to take away from the point of all this...helping Nico with his FS9 issues. My apologies.

64 bit runs fine with no tweaking, fiddling, or any other problems. I have no idea what you're talking about. It's extremely stable and more versatile. I've never had an issue of anything running in a 64 bit environment.

64 bit runs fine with no tweaking, fiddling, or any other problems. I have no idea what you're talking about. It's extremely stable and more versatile. I've never had an issue of anything running in a 64 bit environment.

Same here. I've had my system since 2009. My 64-bit Vista has been very stable and has never locked up on me, blue screened, or forced me to reboot. My MSFS sessions have run for hours without issues (I've left FS9 running all night at times trying to fly Atlantic flights "real time").

Responding to the original post, anisotropic filtering is a must with FS9. Once I turned it off for some odd reason and forgot about it. Started FS9 and saw visuals exactly like those in the OP's post--thought I was running FS98. Then I remembered playing with my video card some days earlier. Anisotropic filtering is not enabled by default on Nvidia cards, as far as I can recall. With today's fast cards, performance impact is neglible and visuals are vastly improved.

John

It's a bit OOT but does anyone here turn the AA on from inside FS? I found it better than using the AA setting in Inspector. I didn't notice fps drop too. It is less than 1-3 fps if there's any.

It's a bit OOT but does anyone here turn the AA on from inside FS? I found it better than using the AA setting in Inspector. I didn't notice fps drop too. It is less than 1-3 fps if there's any.

Hello there

I don't have AA selected at all now ,but like you when I tried it ,and chose the option from within the simulator itself it did seem to me to be better than from within the cards settings.

I did find that if I selected a flight from a less detailed airport IE not EGLL or KJFK ,KLAX etc etc and less detailed areas there appeared to be no performance hit ,however if using the above or other detailed areas ,performance did become an issue for me ,so I have gone back to no AA at all.

But I do agree with you.

cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

No AA at all seems like an unacceptable compromise to me... do you not

have it turned on in the card selections either?

At a minimum 2XAA, (better 4XAA) just to get the worst jaggies dealt with, but preferably 8XS

for really nice visuals

Bert

No AA at all seems like an unacceptable compromise to me... do you not

have it turned on in the card selections either?

At a minimum 2XAA, (better 4XAA) just to get the worst jaggies dealt with, but preferably 8XS

for really nice visuals

Hello

No I don't have it turned on in the card either .The default is 'application controlled'.

I am happy with it as it is. I see a lot of posts about blurries /jaggies etc etc ,but its horses for courses, I don't get het up about blurries , or steamed up about jaggies I just don't seem to notice these.. What I don't like are stutters ,smooth is what I like.

I have been a long time user of fs9 and for me personally contentment has come with acceptance of its limitations .Have done tweaking (well almost :wink: )

A.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Well, that is a refreshing attitude - after all us anal retentives obsessing about every little

graphics imperfection!

Hat off to you, and happy flying!!

Bert

I see a lot of posts about blurries /jaggies etc etc

And I know the responsible person, at least in the last few months! smiley_devil.gif