Sign in to follow this  
N1G

WideScreen Zoom Level

Hi,

I was just curious what you guys are using for a zoom level if using widescreen. I find myself setting it at about 78 or so then using EZCA to adjust inside the cockpit.

It is really hard to tell distance while looking outside even if you know the approximate distance to say an airport. Just curious what some of you are using.

Bob

Personally, I run about 96% or so. I like distances and perspective outside the airplane to be as close to true as possible.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've seen 0.70 referred to as a realistic setting compared to real life.

I know that in the ngx, with that setting I can see both the hgs and the nd at the same time clearly, something you should be able to do in the real plane. Any closer and parts of the front panel aren't visible anymore.

I'm also using ezdok to position the eye point where I need it too, so that probably helps.

I am running a 42" @ 1920 x 1080. It is just difficult for me to determine what is the right perspective. Having it too low gives you the fishbowl effect sort of, but from 75 and upward is good. I flew for awhile at about 90. Although a little harder to get used to from the 78 it really comes down to preference do some degree I believe. If there was some proven calculation I sure would like to know. I assumed that zoom level 1.00 was something the developers came up with originally but not sure.

Bob

I use 70 (with widescreen at true). Higher may be a bit better (more realistic) but I like the extra peripheral vision and the sharper textures 70 give me. The more you zoom in, the more you see autogen popup and textures being low res or blurry.

I used to play with up to 40 a few months ago: it gives you razorsharp textures, but the fish eye effect was too much in the end, even though you do get used to it. But 70 is fine with me: the gauges are still (almost) round when looking around (they are very oval at 40!) and 70 is also less heavy on the system (40 results in a LOT more things having to be put on screen!).

I use 70 (with widescreen at true). Higher may be a bit better (more realistic) but I like the extra peripheral vision and the sharper textures 70 give me. The more you zoom in, the more you see autogen popup and textures being low res or blurry.

I used to play with up to 40 a few months ago: it gives you razorsharp textures, but the fish eye effect was too much in the end, even though you do get used to it. But 70 is fine with me: the gauges are still (almost) round when looking around (they are very oval at 40!) and 70 is also less heavy on the system (40 results in a LOT more things having to be put on screen!).

I too believe in the 70's is the best. I have been @ 78 for a long time and went up into the 90's. It looks OK but hard to get used to. I may go back.

Bob

I use .60 personally. After sitting in the cockpit of a real NG, I can confidently say that WideViewAspect=True + .60 Zoom is the most realistic viewpoint.

Ben, with a 23 inch screen at 1680x1050 I can't really read the numbers on my pfd / nd using 0.60.

How big is your screen?

Bob, check out this great video on the subject

Now that gentleman can talk and certainly has the mathematics and technical understanding down pat. Hmmm 1.0 zoom. Interesting, but not sure if I can fly that way.

I will give it a try.

Bob

I use .60 personally. After sitting in the cockpit of a real NG, I can confidently say that WideViewAspect=True + .60 Zoom is the most realistic viewpoint.

I will try 1.0 and then set my eyepoint(seat position) and see what it looks like. It sounds like many including myself adjust the zoom to suit individual taste rather than what is more accurate as it pertains to the size of a distant object and a given distance. Hmmm, I think I will take a nap.

Bob

When widescreen=true is set, 0.6 is the equivalent to 1.0.

0.6 is the best zoom setting for widescreen monitors

When widescreen=true is set, 0.6 is the equivalent to 1.0.

0.6 is the best zoom setting for widescreen monitors

Well, here it comes! How did you come up with that Professor? :Waiting:

Bob

0.6 isn't the best setting.....there is no "best" setting. Everyone's preferences are different plus the size of your monitor makes a big difference between settings.

I like 0.7 for the screen size I have but if I go to 0.6 I can't read the numbers on my main displays.

Ben, with a 23 inch screen at 1680x1050 I can't really read the numbers on my pfd / nd using 0.60.

How big is your screen?

I've got a 24 inch 1080P display.