Sign in to follow this  
N1G

WideScreen Zoom Level

Well it looks like this in many ways is a personal preference with the exception of the video above. Where are all the nerds tonight?

Bob

Depends on monitor size, resolution and preference. I use a 30" 1920 X 11200 monitor wideview aspect=true, zoom @ 40 t0 50% and gauge numbers are very easy to read. Peripheral vision is excellent

Well, here it comes! How did you come up with that Professor? :Waiting:

Bob

Its been looked at many times down the years. If I remember correctly:

If WideViewAspect=FALSE

Horizontal FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Vertical FOV = (Horizontal FOV) * (view height / view width)

If WideViewAspect=TRUE

Vertical FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Horizontal FOV = (Vertical FOV) * (view width / view height)

If you do the math you should find that 0.6 with 'True' = 1.0 with 'False'

Of course you are free to use whatever zoom level you like. From my understanding though, 0.6 with Widescreen set to true is the closest to the 'out of window' depth perception in real world. It certainly seems close to me.

I use .60 which I thin is EzDok default.. I experimented with others and .60 is my favorite.. .69 is default FSX but the problem is there are so many planes at that zoom level that create a "CAN THE PANEL BE ANY CLOSER TO MY FACE??" scenario (I'm looking at you Carenado 337 and Commander 114). So .60 zooms it out enough to create more room without completely changing the FOV so much you can't land anymore.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I use .60 which I thin is EzDok default.. I experimented with others and .60 is my favorite.. .69 is default FSX but the problem is there are so many planes at that zoom level that create a "CAN THE PANEL BE ANY CLOSER TO MY FACE??" scenario (I'm looking at you Carenado 337 and Commander 114). So .60 zooms it out enough to create more room without completely changing the FOV so much you can't land anymore.

Hmmm......so maybe it's .69 that equals 1.0 depending on true or false.

Either way' date=' I find between .60 and .65 to be the most preferable.

http://forum.avsim.n...-in-widescreen/

Some words from Tim Gregson (Beatle) (ACES, now P3d) on how zoom is treated differently between True and False. (last post)

From the 172 in RL I fly to FSX most aircraft I run across I set to .70. Seems like the right area abouts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm......so maybe it's .69 that equals 1.0 depending on true or false.

Either way, I find between .60 and .65 to be the most preferable.

FSX doesn't touch the user controlled zoom amount when changing the aspect view. The .69 user level zoom is a floating figure between true/false aspect view. I only know it's .69 because in Prepar3D when at the default zoom it actually shows a figure instead of showing nothing like FSX does.. But either way it's a floating number.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I am running a 42" @ 1920 x 1080. It is just difficult for me to determine what is the right perspective. Having it too low gives you the fishbowl effect sort of, but from 75 and upward is good. I flew for awhile at about 90. Although a little harder to get used to from the 78 it really comes down to preference do some degree I believe. If there was some proven calculation I sure would like to know. I assumed that zoom level 1.00 was something the developers came up with originally but not sure.

Bob

I agrer with that Bob. I've tried just about evey setting and come back to usually .90 or so. I've sat in a wide variety of airliners on static display at airshows and at first was surprised at how "in your face" the panel was, especially in 737's.

After experimenting with eyepoints and zooms in FSX, i've found that what looks best to me is to move the eye point back to near the head rest, lock in in Ezdok, then adjust the zoom to around .90. That seems to be about as close as I can match up to how it looks in real life.

If there's one look I cant stand in videos and screen shots, is that zoomed out view of the VC where it looks like they are flying from the jump seat, totally unrealistic imho. Plus I hate the fish eye distorted look. At airports by FSDT using a really low zoom less than .70 will sometimes cause objects not to appear as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

After experimenting with eyepoints and zooms in FSX, i've found that what looks best to me is to move the eye point back to near the head rest, lock in in Ezdok, then adjust the zoom to around .90. That seems to be about as close as I can match up to how it looks in real life.

I do the same thing. Then I point the view down and put the seat square in the middle so that I know I'm centered. Then I angle the view up and lock it in. I also look at how the virtual pilot is sitting and try to estimate that height for my eye. I don't fly big jets so I just go for a feel of how large the gauges would be in front of me and make sure it's effective enough to fly an ILS. For me, that's around 96+%. Sometimes I do create a 'closer' view of the dash on another button.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

.60 and I'm right on top of the glare shield?

Yes, but the seat position can be changed to adjust for that without affecting the zoom level.

I agrer with that Bob. I've tried just about evey setting and come back to usually .90 or so. I've sat in a wide variety of airliners on static display at airshows and at first was surprised at how "in your face" the panel was, especially in 737's.

If there's one look I cant stand in videos and screen shots, is that zoomed out view of the VC where it looks like they are flying from the jump seat, totally unrealistic imho. Plus I hate the fish eye distorted look. At airports by FSDT using a really low zoom less than .70 will sometimes cause objects not to appear as well.

It appears that some are posting about being too close to the glare shield once the zoom level is set, but forgetting the fact that the seat position can be changed, in this case backwards, without affecting the zoom level (outside view). There are 2 settings here that work in harmony with each other. Adjust the outside view which of course will change your seat position, but then you can adjust the seat level independently.

Bob

Yes, but the seat position can be changed to adjust for that without affecting the zoom level.

Pray tell. been trying for yrs? CTRL+enter? Compared to shift +?OMG I got it after all theses yrs asking how to zoom outside VC view while mainlining VC aspect. Thanks.

And how are things to be calculated in a triple monitor setup ?

I have 3 monitors , all 16/9 , revolution 5040x1050.

Wat do I do to avoid THE fisheye effect ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Been an interesting thread to read.. There seems to be two batch of preferences

1. Those who want the zoom level to be 100% like real life regardless of what it looks like

2. Those who want a happy medium between real life and also making up the lack of peripheral vision on single monitor setups.

I definitely fall into #2.. In real life if I'm up close to a panel I can still see a huge portion of scenery and the cockpit out of my peripheral vision on my left and right. In Flight Sim if you're up at the panel you are suffocating yourself. I used to run a 3 monitor setup at 5760x1080 and while it provides you with the peripheral vision ability so you can set the zoom more realistically, it also induces fisheye and stretching on each with monitor, nevermind the performance hit. I'm much happier with a 40in monitor and the zoom pull back a bit..