Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

Active Sky 2012 Overview Video

Yep! And looking forward for the 2nd video, showing the inflight effects ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for the vid, Simmo. My Wish List over at SimMarket has had it sitting there for a month or so: you gave me the push I needed. Of course my wife is going to give me a different push....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

There was a loooooong thread (and I think there have been many) about aircraft being "too stable" in FSX. Not really looking to rehash all that. (My own experience with RW Cessnas and Pipers is that once you're above the bottom layer of clouds things get pretty stable and can feel like rails. Below the clouds it can, sometimes be pretty bumpy depending on fronts, thermal activity and such. Anyway.

What I *am* curious about is how Active Sky simulates stability/wind/bumpiness if at all. If any RW pilot has experience with Active Sky, what are your thoughts?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Sorry Paul :-) if my wife saw my credit card spend on fsx this mth, I'd be a gonner! But it's still cheaper than one helicopter lesson (always quote heli rates, they're scarier..)

Im editing the clouds/ flying vid now, culled one hr of vid to just 25 mins of gorgeous puffy cloud vision. ARGH how will I cut it down to 4 mins?!

The price of ASE2012 initially put me off so I purchased REX Essentials. Whilst I am quite happy with it looks wise, I can't say I'm "feeling" the weather much with it (like taking off from Gatwick for the last few days, the QNH has been 10.13) but that might be me doing something wrong.

The price of ASE2012 initially put me off so I purchased REX Essentials. Whilst I am quite happy with it looks wise, I can't say I'm "feeling" the weather much with it (like taking off from Gatwick for the last few days, the QNH has been 10.13) but that might be me doing something wrong.

Sometimes I fly without REX-E. One day, while flying with FSX "Fair Weather" I found a fairly large thermal near the turn to base at Riverside, CA. It was messing with my pattern (1000 fpm up when I'm trying to descend) so I tried turning on REX-E...figured it's real world weather would clear it out. Nope...not sure it had any effect on it at all. Maybe they don't do anything with thermals but, I too, sometimes wonder about their wx engine.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

One tip with AS2012.. If FSX (or Prepar3D) crashes.. Check AS 2012 and make sure it disconnected.. If it didn't close and restart it. Most of the time it won't though, it will stay on `connected' even though FSX/Prepar3D isn't running due to the crash.. If you launch a flight when AS is in this state you will have some unbearable phantom winds on the ground.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Sometimes I fly without REX-E. One day, while flying with FSX "Fair Weather" I found a fairly large thermal near the turn to base at Riverside, CA. It was messing with my pattern (1000 fpm up when I'm trying to descend) so I tried turning on REX-E...figured it's real world weather would clear it out. Nope...not sure it had any effect on it at all. Maybe they don't do anything with thermals but, I too, sometimes wonder about their wx engine.

I will have to try that next time, see if FSX is doing anything funky with the weather.

I wonder if Active Sky 2012 has any improvements from Active Sky Evolution in weather generation... I own REX Essentials so I have no need for textures of AS2012, but if it has some real improvements in weather generation I could buy it.

Then you need to buy it then, I have both, REXE=eye candy Active Sky does weather better, just use REXE for for textures ATM, will look at REXE again when the SP1 is out.

Every time I load my local airport up, EGNX load Active Sky 2012 and then load weather from REXE.

Active Sky 2012 shows just what I see from my window, REXE never gets it right.

Best test I can do as I can just look out my window and see with my own eyes what's best.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Then you need to buy it then, I have both, REXE=eye candy Active Sky does weather better, just use REXE for for textures ATM, will look at REXE again when the SP1 is out.

Every time I load my local airport up, EGNX load Active Sky 2012 and then load weather from REXE.

Active Sky 2012 shows just what I see from my window, REXE never gets it right.

Best test I can do as I can just look out my window and see with my own eyes what's best.

I agree, and I also find that AS2012 provides a more stable and accurate winds aloft experience when flying airliners.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png