Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simmo W

Active Sky 2012 Overview Video

Yep! And looking forward for the 2nd video, showing the inflight effects ;-)

Thanks for the vid, Simmo. My Wish List over at SimMarket has had it sitting there for a month or so: you gave me the push I needed. Of course my wife is going to give me a different push....

There was a loooooong thread (and I think there have been many) about aircraft being "too stable" in FSX. Not really looking to rehash all that. (My own experience with RW Cessnas and Pipers is that once you're above the bottom layer of clouds things get pretty stable and can feel like rails. Below the clouds it can, sometimes be pretty bumpy depending on fronts, thermal activity and such. Anyway.

What I *am* curious about is how Active Sky simulates stability/wind/bumpiness if at all. If any RW pilot has experience with Active Sky, what are your thoughts?

Sorry Paul :-) if my wife saw my credit card spend on fsx this mth, I'd be a gonner! But it's still cheaper than one helicopter lesson (always quote heli rates, they're scarier..)

Im editing the clouds/ flying vid now, culled one hr of vid to just 25 mins of gorgeous puffy cloud vision. ARGH how will I cut it down to 4 mins?!

The price of ASE2012 initially put me off so I purchased REX Essentials. Whilst I am quite happy with it looks wise, I can't say I'm "feeling" the weather much with it (like taking off from Gatwick for the last few days, the QNH has been 10.13) but that might be me doing something wrong.

The price of ASE2012 initially put me off so I purchased REX Essentials. Whilst I am quite happy with it looks wise, I can't say I'm "feeling" the weather much with it (like taking off from Gatwick for the last few days, the QNH has been 10.13) but that might be me doing something wrong.

Sometimes I fly without REX-E. One day, while flying with FSX "Fair Weather" I found a fairly large thermal near the turn to base at Riverside, CA. It was messing with my pattern (1000 fpm up when I'm trying to descend) so I tried turning on REX-E...figured it's real world weather would clear it out. Nope...not sure it had any effect on it at all. Maybe they don't do anything with thermals but, I too, sometimes wonder about their wx engine.

One tip with AS2012.. If FSX (or Prepar3D) crashes.. Check AS 2012 and make sure it disconnected.. If it didn't close and restart it. Most of the time it won't though, it will stay on `connected' even though FSX/Prepar3D isn't running due to the crash.. If you launch a flight when AS is in this state you will have some unbearable phantom winds on the ground.

Sometimes I fly without REX-E. One day, while flying with FSX "Fair Weather" I found a fairly large thermal near the turn to base at Riverside, CA. It was messing with my pattern (1000 fpm up when I'm trying to descend) so I tried turning on REX-E...figured it's real world weather would clear it out. Nope...not sure it had any effect on it at all. Maybe they don't do anything with thermals but, I too, sometimes wonder about their wx engine.

I will have to try that next time, see if FSX is doing anything funky with the weather.

I wonder if Active Sky 2012 has any improvements from Active Sky Evolution in weather generation... I own REX Essentials so I have no need for textures of AS2012, but if it has some real improvements in weather generation I could buy it.

Then you need to buy it then, I have both, REXE=eye candy Active Sky does weather better, just use REXE for for textures ATM, will look at REXE again when the SP1 is out.

Every time I load my local airport up, EGNX load Active Sky 2012 and then load weather from REXE.

Active Sky 2012 shows just what I see from my window, REXE never gets it right.

Best test I can do as I can just look out my window and see with my own eyes what's best.

Then you need to buy it then, I have both, REXE=eye candy Active Sky does weather better, just use REXE for for textures ATM, will look at REXE again when the SP1 is out.

Every time I load my local airport up, EGNX load Active Sky 2012 and then load weather from REXE.

Active Sky 2012 shows just what I see from my window, REXE never gets it right.

Best test I can do as I can just look out my window and see with my own eyes what's best.

I agree, and I also find that AS2012 provides a more stable and accurate winds aloft experience when flying airliners.

Haha, I hope I'm not causing u financial probs! But who cares, that combo is so good!

Here's my follow up article and video, just in case you weren't sure. I've just experimented with totally overcast conditions, talk about lifelike..

Very nice video, Simmo! AS2012 looks fantastic. I'm seriously considering getting it. Is there a significant framerate hit?

I guess it will depend upon the system, proc, gpu, memory, etc., Alexandro, as to whether there's a hit or not, but no - no noticeable hit on my system at all.

I've always run the REX/Overdrive/Essentials textures (ASE supplying the power) from the day REX was released, but I uninstalled it last night, as I honestly can't tell the difference any more. Perhaps - if Overdrive had been released already - I might never have made 'the big decision', but it hasn't.

Simmo - your video's are great! Many Thanks.

Guest firehawk44

Nice videos Simmo! I have AS2012 too with no noticeable FPS hits but there will always be a framerate loss with weather depending on how nice or how nasty the weather you will be flying in. Also, if you put your cloud draw from 60 miles to, say 90 or 144 miles out, you'll get more hits. Mine is set around 70 miles. Like Paul stated it really depends on your system. My system is almost exactly the same as Paul's and it really runs AS2012 well.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks guys. Im down in Oz, so apols for the delay!

Youre all right, a lower specced system might be sensitive to higher settings. But relatively, I think it has little hit, esp for the added flight feel. My old i7 920 copes ok,but wouldn't dare increase the distance setting! But I have cloud layers at 13 out of 20, that helps the look massively, I'll try max of 20 once my i7 3770k is humming :-)

Ooh, I can't help sharing this! The Olgas, during a deliberate Storm I set up:

2012-8-11_20-58-18-230.jpg

Guest firehawk44

Hope you can land safely in that storm! Yikes!

Best regards,

Jim

• Thank you, Paul. I have a similar system to you except for the GPU, which mine is not as fast. Will definitely consider AS2012 for the future, as my next purchase will probably be Track IR.

Could someone tell me why when I have Active Sky Open & I've done a flight & closed fligh sim it still says FSX connected, I find that I have issues getting weather for the next destination I want to fly to.

Could someone tell me why when I have Active Sky Open & I've done a flight & closed fligh sim it still says FSX connected, I find that I have issues getting weather for the next destination I want to fly to.

I haven't experienced that UNLESS there's been a problem with FSX. Does it happem EVERY flight r just occasionally? Simplest is to close and reopen AS2012.

Vic

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial Active Sky Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.