Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

Dedicated soundcard vs on-board audio?

I remember back in the days, having a dedicated soundcard was a MUST, as we tried to offload as much as we could from our CPUs. With the processing power we have available nowadays, is this still relevant? And let's be clear, I'm talking about us flightsimmers, because I know for the audiophile who demand the best in quality, dedicated soundcards are a no-brainer.

But when it comes to flightsimming, is it enough to simply use the onboard audio? I have a Creative Labs PCI-E X-fi Extreme Music and it's plagued with the hissing/popping that so many people have always experienced and I was wondering if it would be better to just use the onboard audio. I'm just worried that it would use up CPU cycles to the point where it could affect FSX performance.

Thanks in advance for any info on this matter.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I have not discovered any change between on-board, dedicated and two of them at one time. You have a decent setup, so You should not worry about few CPU cycles.

I have not discovered any change between on-board, dedicated and two of them at one time. You have a decent setup, so You should not worry about few CPU cycles.

Oh ok, I guess I will give it a try.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

In my opinion a dedicated card is only for audiophiles nowadays. I used to have an X-Fi as well... but my onboard is excellent with my new mobo and that's what I use.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I remember back in the days, having a dedicated soundcard was a MUST, as we tried to offload as much as we could from our CPUs.

Hello

Windows 7 has no support for hardware accelerated sound, so the dedicated sound card is only of use to audiophiles.

And even those folk will be better served by an external DAC/Amp

Use an onboard. There is almost no difference these days.

Depends on how good your audio output device is. If you have high quality speakers/headphone and you want the best sound you can get on your PC at a reasonable price, a discrete card will provide better quality sound output than an onboard solution with the exception of some of the high-end motherboards that integrate audio solutions that are normally reserved for discrete cards. The Asus Maximus V lineup would be a good example. I have the Gene model which includes an onboard XFi Extreme and audio shielding, as well as high quality capacitors and outputs. My speakers aren't anything special so I doubt I'll notice a difference between that and the Realtek sound from the Asrock Z77 board this Asus is replacing, but I'm not going to complain either. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my speakers and notice the difference.

Depends on how good your audio output device is. If you have high quality speakers/headphone and you want the best sound you can get on your PC at a reasonable price, a discrete card will provide better quality sound output than an onboard solution with the exception of some of the high-end motherboards that integrate audio solutions that are normally reserved for discrete cards. The Asus Maximus V lineup would be a good example. I have the Gene model which includes an onboard XFi Extreme and audio shielding, as well as high quality capacitors and outputs. My speakers aren't anything special so I doubt I'll notice a difference between that and the Realtek sound from the Asrock Z77 board this Asus is replacing, but I'm not going to complain either. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my speakers and notice the difference.

I think for FSX, the onboard audio is more than enough. Now, if I was composing my own music, then yes, I might want to look at something in the range for audiophiles. But to hear some landing gear coming down, engine rumble or hydraulic flaps, the on board will suffice. LOL

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I think for FSX, the onboard audio is more than enough. Now, if I was composing my own music, then yes, I might want to look at something in the range for audiophiles. But to hear some landing gear coming down, engine rumble or hydraulic flaps, the on board will suffice. LOL

I'm inclined to agree with you, though some people may want high fidelity audio even in flight sim for which they will want a "premium" solution such as a discrete card or high-end integrated audio like what my new board uses.