Sign in to follow this  
sainsley

Upgrade to GTX670 from GTX560

Hey all

Just upgraded my older 560 for an EVGA FTW GTX670. Strangely there has been very little performance increase. Reinstalled drivers but am still getting about only 10-15 fps in clouds (4096 REX) at addon scenery airports, only 2-3 fps increase if that.

I5 2500k oc 4.5ghz, 8gb 1600mhz, running fsx off ssd by itself.

Thanks!

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Sent from my i9000M using Tapatalk

Not surprising Seth, FSX is much more CPU hungry than GPU hungry. I would be surprised if you noticed any difference at all.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

FSX doesn't really care that much about your graphics card as long as its decent, I had GTX 550 before and went from it to Radeon 6990, however didn't notice much increase (though I didn't buy 6990 for FSX but for other programs that can make use of it).

So are you saying that what will improve my performance now is basically an i7?

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Just very interested in the whole idea. I hear that people who upgrade from a 560 to a 670 have frames jump from where they were 15 before to smooth flight - albeit only in certain extremely graphics intensive spots ie multiple HD cloud layers, photoscenery, and especially when using bufferpools=0 as I am.

All opinions are greatly appreciated! :-)

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

So are you saying that what will improve my performance now is basically an i7?

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Yes. FSX is "CPU bound", but having a strong GPU does help when using high visual IQ settings.

I'm hearing a lot of "the GPU doesn't matter" around here lately. That's not true when you are concerned with visual quality. Think: High anti-aliasing settings, HD Clouds, dense autogen, high resolution, etc.

Just very interested in the whole idea. I hear that people who upgrade from a 560 to a 670 have frames jump from where they were 15 before to smooth flight - albeit only in certain extremely graphics intensive spots ie multiple HD cloud layers, photoscenery, and especially when using bufferpools=0 as I am.

All opinions are greatly appreciated! :-)

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

With this system in my profile, I went from a GTX 460 to a 560. The difference was noticeable with my AA settings and supersampling.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Video Card and FPS is not highly correleated. Meaning.. Improving on Video card doesn't mean you are going to get FPS in FSX.

But that does not mean getting a better video card is not going to have benefits. It does.

For FPS, your primary focus is your CPU and OCing. along with fast memory to a small degree.

The benefits of a good video card is in your ability to use bigger and multi monitors with high AA and what not. Also bigger Vido memory also helps a lot.

For me, I have have the 670 and I have connected three 24" monitor in wideview + a 4th 19" touch screen monitor. I have AA turned on. I don't run inti VRAM issues.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

With this system in my profile, I went from a GTX 460 to a 560. The difference was noticeable with my AA settings and supersampling.

And that is where I feel something's gone wrong as I have had no such significant improvement. Perhaps I was expecting too much from the upgrade but if anything my FSX looks worse. It's like there's too much sharpening of the image and therefore it's pixellated - chunky ground textures I never saw with the 560 etc.

Thanks!!

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

And that is where I feel something's gone wrong as I have had no such significant improvement. Perhaps I was expecting too much from the upgrade but if anything my FSX looks worse. It's like there's too much sharpening of the image and therefore it's pixellated - chunky ground textures I never saw with the 560 etc.

Thanks!!

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Sounds like you may need to use Nvidia Inspector and set your image IQ settings again. New drivers will overwrite the profile to default. In FSX , you want AA off and the AA controlled on the driver level. Head over to the PMDG General Forum and look for Ryan's sticky regarding profile settings in Inspector.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm hearing a lot of "the GPU doesn't matter" around here lately. That's not true when you are concerned with visual quality. Think: High anti-aliasing settings, HD Clouds, dense autogen, high resolution, etc.

+1

Dirk.

Sounds like you may need to use Nvidia Inspector and set your image IQ settings again. New drivers will overwrite the profile to default. In FSX , you want AA off and the AA controlled on the driver level. Head over to the PMDG General Forum and look for Ryan's sticky regarding profile settings in Inspector.

This is all done, profile is checked and everything is set according to the sticky (plus 2x sgss) - no effect.

AA is off in FSX.

Appreciatively,

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

This is all done, profile is checked and everything is set according to the sticky (plus 2x sgss) - no effect.

AA is off in FSX.

Appreciatively,

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Something's amiss. No behavior flag set? That's important. No DX10 preview?

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Something's amiss. No behavior flag set? That's important. No DX10 preview?

Behaviour flag? Can you elaborate?

DX10 preview set off - is this ok?

Thanks again!!

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Behaviour flag? Can you elaborate?

DX10 preview set off - is this ok?

Thanks again!!

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Under the MS Flight Simulator X profile in Inspector, in the "Antialiasing" section, there's a SettingID labeled "Antialiasing - Behavior Flags". The SettingValue should be set to "None".

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Sorry, yes, that setting is set to none.

Seth Ainsley JTS1141