Sign in to follow this  
sainsley

Upgrade to GTX670 from GTX560

Just making sure...

When major system changes are detected, FSX can automatically set its screen resolution to funky low values. I spent an afternoon once chasing something like you describe when it turned out to be this problem.

As mentioned, a better GPU won't compensate for most heavy duty slider settings and saturated add ons; the AA/AF eye candy is where the pay off is (and how sweet it is).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The CPU/memory/cache determines how many frames per second (FPS) can be generated by the internal code running in one or many cores (processing units) and accessing data and instructions located in cache or memory (lets hope you never get in a paged situation where FSX waits for something paged out to a real disk).

The GPU can only process data sent to it by the cores running FSX/Windows code. Some of that data may be PhysX requests but mostly the data sent to the GPU is to be displayed.

It appears that most video cards with a Passmark video score of greater than 2600 - 2750 (GTX 560 or so) can stay ahead of the data sent to them by even the fastest overclocked i7 at some moderately acceptable level of visual quality (AA, IQ...etc). Thus the FPS rate is, at that level of visual quality, limited by the CPU/cache/memory ability to generate frames to display (data sent to the GPU).

However, a faster GPU, one with more memory, or more processing units can deliver the SAME FPS (limited by the CPU...etc) but at stunningly higher levels of visual quality.

It is possible to decrease the FPS displayed on the monitor(s) by dramatically increasing the specified visual quality on a less capable GPU. It that case the CPU might not generate it's maximum potential FPS rate while waiting for the GPU.

Thus we say that FSX frame rate, is for the most part, limited by the CPU complex and primarily the core clock speed.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Try rebuilding your fsx.cfg file and doing all the tweaks again, after seeing what default is like. You won't really see huge FPS increases but you should definitely see a smoother flight.

Okay thank you everyone your replies were all extremely informative and helpful, I have found a few sliders to tweak, and kudos to the person who mentioned the resolution - it had reset back to 1024x768.

Thanks again,

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Sent from my i9000M using Tapatalk