Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

What are we giving up by moving from Flight to FSX?

I've been flying FSX lately, and got to wondering what I was giving up by not flying in Flight.

The best I can figure it, there are three things:

1. Flight has a much more sophisticated flight model.

2. Flight's lighting and shadows are to die for.

3. Flight will run at much higher frame rates on most people's computers.

There are a few gaming aspects that are gone as well, especially the aerocaches, but we can do a little research and decide where we want to fly just to check something out. There is also the job board, which is very nice, but we can make up our own jobs. I was doing that in FSX for a year before Flight came along. If in doubt, roll dice.

Is there anything I'm obviously missing?

I've got another post on what we're gaining by moving from Flight to FSX, so if you want to talk about that instead, that's the proper place.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hi,

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully. If I feel like tweaking I choose FSX and if I want to fly I choose Flight. Works for me.

Jim F.

What about automated checklists in Flight? Its better than the FSX default checklists.

While I really liked the automated checklists in Flight, for any aircraft that I flew a lot in FSX I made my own custom checklists as a text file to replace the HTML checklists in the kneeboard. My custom checklists are more thorough than the ones from the pilots operating handbook. It's easy to do using the HTML header and footer, and the preformat tag for the text.

As a side note, I also make up a text flight plan and append it to the bottom of the custom reference info also available in the kneeboard. If nothing else, this gives me the exact VOR radials to fly which are never exactly the same as the magnetic headings. The VOR radials come from real world sectional maps.

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully.

I agree completely, but it's not really pertinent to the discussion in question. :) If I'm flying FSX, I'm still giving up some things from Flight.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I will keep FLIGHT (believe it's forever :-) ). I start it everyday, more than I did with other sims.

During a couple of weeks I revisited FSX, and all I have experienced in FLIGHT is unforgetable, so, although I fully agree with your list on the other thread - what do we gain from moving from FLIGHT to FSX - I decided to move to X-plane10.

It was a tough decision because of the initial investment and not being able to profit from my previous FSX add-ons, but a week with FSX, lot's of tweaking and a few flights brought back the bad memories... stuttering, a lot of investment required for an acceptable environment, while on my new machine, bought for FLIGHT, FLIGHT and now X-Plane10.10 b6 both run very very smoothly. :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The Carbon Cub! Love that thing...and goofing around with it on water, roads, under bridges, between trees.

cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

The Carbon Cub! Love that thing...and goofing around with it on water, roads, under bridges, between trees.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss the Carbon Cub, and the biplane tours.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Well, A2A's Cub not being the Carbon, also allows for goofing :-) And it's accu-sim credentials bring even more surprises... I find A2A's products in FSX the closest we can get on that sim to what FLIGHT is. Very close!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi Hook,

Thanks for the clarification as to what you were looking for. The subject line of your post, "What are we giving up by moving from Flight to FSX?", led me astray. For me it would have to be a highly subjective immersive feeling I get in Flight that I no longer feel in FSX. After all, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree? If I had to choose, FSX and over 65GBs of scenery files would be gone in an instant. (Probably reload it in a week or so; knowing how I like to tinker.)

Jim F.

For me it would have to be a highly subjective immersive feeling I get in Flight that I no longer feel in FSX.

I have to agree completely with this one too. I had a feeling of actually flying a plane in Flight that I never had in FSX. This is one reason that I'll never uninstall Flilght; I expect to fly in it quite often, just for that feeling.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I have to agree completely with this one too. I had a feeling of actually flying a plane in Flight that I never had in FSX. This is one reason that I'll never uninstall Flilght; I expect to fly in it quite often, just for that feeling.

Hook

+1

You can pile complication on top of complication; add features until your eyes pop, and modules until the ground droops under the weight of it all. But if a individual doesn't feel as if they are flying, then sometimes it can all be for nothing.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi,

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully. If I feel like tweaking I choose FSX and if I want to fly I choose Flight. Works for me.

Jim F.

I agree with this. There are many aspects to aviation so both Flight and FSX can coexist nicely. Personally I use Flight for the low and slow GA and FSX for commercial airliners.

Now I just need a simulator that allows me to fly a UD4L "Cheyenne" and a Star Trek shuttlcraft and I would be in business.

Good-looking cliffs.

Oh man, ain't that the truth! That's one I forgot in the original list.

I had an FSX screen shot of the J3 Cub in Hawaii, between Waipo Valley and Hilo. Not really cliffs, but definite elevation changes near the water. It was... hideous. Every time I'd think about flying FSX, I'd look at my screen shots and see this, then forget about FSX for a week.

Hook

Larry Hookins