Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

IFR Flightplans with RXP

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how you all go about planning your GPS IFR flights. So far I've been doing a mix of whatever works at the time, but I'd like to get a more perfect flow if possible.

The two things that are getting in my way - the data is mismatched with both methods:

1. If I pre-plan with the FSX flightplanner or Plan-G then my waypoints are mismatched because they are much older than the waypoints in the updated RXP

2. If I pre-plan with FSBuild or another Navigraph updated planner, then my waypoints are all too new to enter into the RXP.

Now I can do either of those two and usually several of the waypoints not found. I can then enter them in with Lat/Long and create user waypoints, a bit of a pain but it works.

But there has to be a better way?

How do people go about getting around this data mismatch in planning?

Do you just use the actual GPS to do the flight planning and then export it from the GPS into FSX format?

The GPS is not the nicest interface to plan, it's ok to navigate but I prefer to have a big screen map for planning..

Yeah I have 1107.

FSCommander or FSBuild, I still have the same problem the navdata is 1 year too new. Although I suppose that is better than the Plan-G and FSX data being several years too old.

I was mostly using Plan-G/FSX though, I haven't used FSBuild much for RXP plans.

Do you find the RXP is missing many waypoints using plans from the 1208 Airac cycle in FSCommander?

Do you find the RXP is missing many waypoints using plans from the 1208 Airac cycle in FSCommander?

Ya. Actually more and more. Try entering the TED VOR in Anchorage. RXP is still using the old ANG. Of course you can manually add the waypoint coordinates, a payne I know and there gone if ever you loose the garmin navdata.

Why don't you just use the charts to plan your route? That's all I do.

http://skyvector.com/ - draw a flight plan from Point A to B, then find a few navaids in the middle, you can use airways if you want, or fixes for /G... If you're flying to/from large airports check out the FAA TEC route page for preferred routing:

http://www.fly.faa.g...es_database.jsp

If you're flying between small airports, and using the 530W, you can usually get direct (in real life)... but you can always put in some intermediate fixes in your FP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well that SkyVector site DOES look nice. But I think those resources are only for the USA. Also wouldn't they have the same issue? i.e. nav data doesn't match RXP?

I could use charts though, I have all the charts for Australia in OzRunways EFB. Just got to work around the data differences... same problem as FSBuild.

I can do GPS direct, but I'm trying not to as I'm doing longer routes and usually the combination of Turbine Duke + Radar Contact is more fun if it's not direct.

I'll probably just keep planning with a variety of methods, and adjusting in the GPS or creating waypoints, then re-save a new plan using right click on FPL.

Then I just import the final GPS FSX Plan into Radar contact and Active sky.

Cripes I swear you were from the US lol... I missed that semi minor point :ph34r:

Nevermind... most of what I write on these forums is US-based... apologies!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I too have the same dilemma. Since upgrading to the RXP and the latest airac cycle available from Garmin, I have not been using Plan G/FSX outdated navdata. I have been using FSWidgets QuickPlan (similar looking interface to Plan G) to generate the enroute portion of my flights and then input the waypoints into the RXP. I plan my approaches using Skyvector as Ryan suggested and usually find a matching approach in the Procedures section of the RXP. Working so far but I am always trying to find new ways for an all-in-one solution!

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

The point being . Modern navadata FSCommander, Sky Vector, FS build or whatever is newer than the RXP internal navdata and RXP navdata is newer than older navdata FSX/Plan G. It will always be that way until the latest Garmin airac in installed in the RXP. Then you can use flight planner/maps with the latest data for plan matching.

You can update the Garmin to the latest navdata. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think also I'm going to stop updating navdata.

It's better to stay closer to the dates of the RXP and the dates various scenery were released.

Keeps my printed charts correct too :)

I only fly in the Orbx NA regions and I've read somewhere that the data of those regions is newer then the FSX data, so it might well be that the Orbx data is pretty close to the RXP data. However, when it comes to planning, I cheat... :wink:

I usually do short flights (50 to 125 nm, sometimes a bit longer) and I plane the flight in Plan-G. This way I know which valleys I have to follow (when flying low, which I like to do). Then in the RXP simply create an A to B flightplan and after that I try to follow my planned route using the Terrain page in the RXP and my memory: quite often it clearly shows the valleys I was planning to follow and since my flights aren't too long this isn't too hard to do.

The cheat is: I've added the default GPS500 as a popup to my plane (RealAir Legacy) which does show the Plan-G plan...! So whenever I am in doubt where I should be heading, I simply have a glance at that GPS500! Simple as that. :wink:

I don't like using popup windows and if feels a bit like cheating but in you could say it's the same as alt-tabbing to Plan-G to see where you are or using GMap of even Skyvector: the advantage of using the default GPS is that you can use it in FSX itself so you don't have to alt-tab out of FSX or run it in windowed mode.