Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

GEX & UTX performance

So I went and got both GEX and UTX the other day to enhance some of that default scenery, but I don't like the performance. The frame rates are in the low to mid 20's which sucks because it causes stutters. I have the orbx northern rockies installed and consistently see frame rates above 30 and it's always smooth.

I just figured with software as dated as those two the performance hit wouldn't be that noticeable. At least not as bad as FTX. Is this usual? I don't want to mess too much with the sliders because I finally have them set just right for the orbx region.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Yep for me too, UTX Europe is just bearable, nice night lighting in Paris! But when I installed the US one, wow the fps tanked. So I mainly stick to orbx areas or put up with the default and a nice addon airport, the smoothness is so good that you don't notice the ground as much (see my latest vid for how good Active Sky looks too!)

Had both as well , the main problem for me was the UTX program , that really affected my frame rates, so I just stuck to GEX which doesn't affect the FPS dramatically .

Have you Defragged since your install?

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Yes, I defragged a couple of times after I installed them. Seems its a common side effect of UTX especially. I wonder if there are replacement textures?

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

try turning off residential roads and small streams and see if it makes a difference?

Same here just use GEX (except Europe). Whatever people say the sim is much smoother without UTX, day and night, so I just don't bother installing it anymore. SceneryTech landclass and FSGlobal Ultimate help too.

I found GEX (latest version EU) actually improved my FPS. As others have said, UTX roads and traffic have a major hit, so I have them all disabled. Sim looks better, and FPS are fine. SceneryTech mesh.

you should go to simforums

there is Nick who can answer your question

he is from gex and knows exactly what is wrong

IIRC his solution was to turn off all the vector roads; personally I'd rather keep the FSX roads and skip UTX in that case.

A shame you can't keep the coasts and city landclass and use them with the FSX roads (due to an exclude layer all FSX roads are disabled).

I agree with most people here, you must experiment with the UTX setup tool to find the best setting. The tool even shows you how much effect each option will have on the fps. I would not want to miss it anymore!

And for me also GEX has no impact at all. They say it may improve performance because of changes to the autogen, but I can't really see it.

Thanks guys

The other problem I'm noticing is they mix with the orbx scenery. I've made sure to put all the UT files in FSX below orbx and just above the default, but my orbx region is all messed up showing what seems to be either GEX or UTX scenery too. I had ut turned off during install, I was pretty careful to follow all the directions.

Maybe I'll poke around the simforums.